Sat Nav Installation

sliderj

Hi guys. I have a 2013 Triumph tiger Sport which I am looking to install a Garmin Zumo 550 Sat Nav. The wiring that comes with it has an inline fuse attached and I would like to attach the positive wire to the tail light power source. Which wire should I attach to?

Do you intend leaving the sat nav in its holder overnight? turned on.

if you dont.. then its easiest and simplest to connect the mount direct to the battery.

faffing around with splicing here and cutting there isn't necessary.. but it does depend on you remembering two things. either remove the sat nav when you park the bike for the night. or turn it off.

My Zumo 660 just turned 10 years old and i have never managed to drain the battery.. by leaving it turned on. its a tough piece of kit though. its flown down the road at 60mph. been ridden over by a lardy but not exactly decrepit TRX850 and still works.. and is still fully supported by Garmin.

splicing and dicing answers will likely follow.

I have mine wired to a relay

Purely because I have a 4 way relay to remove all the wiring to the battery! Already had two wires to it with the bikes positive and the optimate charger I would have added a further 4 with accessories :? which makes it a pain in the arse to remove/replace the battery! Also I like my sat nav to turn off with the bike and when the power is cut then it shuts down after 15 seconds which doesn't happen when connected straight to the battery.

Its all personal choice of how you want to connect it

As for what wire to connect to you need to find which is the switched live to the lights

I am not a fan of going from the lights as if you have to turn them off for whatever reason then you would lose the power source to the sat nav

If that's the correct wiring diagram for your bike the wire you're looking for at the rear light is red. To test it with the multimeter put the meter on DC volts and put the red meter lead on the red wire and the black meter lead on battery negative. You should see 12V on the meter when the ignition is on and 0 when it's off. You could you that red to control a relay so the current for the sat nav isn't going through the lighting circuit.

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php?topic=35653.0

Wiring Diagram

Wiring Diagram Key

You could you that red to control a relay so the current for the sat nav isn't going through the lighting circuit.

They don't draw enough power to worry about :thumb: