Transferring a bike

Desmond.22

I've bought a few cars and a bike like this, I've just caught the train then bus etc to get to where I could pick it up. Made a great day out.

I understand why you wouldn't want to use public transport at the moment though.

Guest Richzx6r

Hi looking at buying bike not local im winsford cheshire guy lives in Ipswich

Bike etc all good just need it transporting any ideas who i could use for this.

Do you mind the bike being ridden between pickup and drop off? If not I'll ride it for you

I just got quoted £24 for a days van hire to give you a rough idea of pricing. When I used a guy from the Shiply website it was around £80 and that was approx 8 years ago

Guest Richzx6r

Possibly mate guessing all insured etc, how would you get home etc ?

Could get picked up by the missus, and I'm covered to ride others's bikes on my insurance provided you have insurance and you permission

200 miles 4.5 hours avoiding motorways..

Cracking ride you will be used to gears by the time you have finished :D

Unless is special bike you might do better looking slightly more locally.

Or asking locally on FB

Just google bike courier. Personally I used my transit van and a couple of ratchet straps to hold in place. Fastbob said he’s never seen a bike so solid (bike didn’t move an inch)

Went in pretty easy. Getting out even easier I used my brother to hold handle bars and I just picked it up by rear wheel and pulled out until front wheel was at edge of door opening. Then both of us lowered front wheel down. Took about 10 seconds.

Not sure if you've got it sorted yet but I bought a bike from Crewe Honda last year and they used this chap to transport it down to me

https://www.facebook.com/jackhammermotorcyclesstoke/?ref=page_internal

Had no problems, all went well.

One of those links said "We never compress the forks or rear suspension during transportation"

Can someone cleverer than me (which is all of you) please explain why this is a 'thing'?

One of those links said "We never compress the forks or rear suspension during transportation"

Can someone cleverer than me (which is all of you) please explain why this is a 'thing'?

That's either a "No, we don't have a clue" - or it's a "You misjudged our level of cleverness" then. :lol:

It's said that if you strap the bike down tight enough that the forks are compressed for an extended period of time it will blow the seals.

I really don't know if this is true or not, never tested it :D

It's said that if you strap the bike down tight enough that the forks are compressed for an extended period of time it will blow the seals.

Well I've had the track bike (with admittedly somewhat passed their best fork tubes) strapped down very firmly for a couple of hours at a stretch without any leakage.

I've done that may times so I'd say that's a load of fuff.

Guest Richzx6r

I guess if the seals are already knackered then it could probably cause them to weep slightly more than normal but I have never heard of for seals just blowing and completely shitting themselves under constant pressure

That was the reason given by doing a bit of web searching. As has been said, I could see it being an issue on old seals, especially if the forks were compressed all the way and it was kept like that for a long time.

Not something I have had to do though so cant comment from experience

Yep, I saw that but having never experience an issue in 39 years of strapping bikes down I was struggling to see that seals blowing was actually a thing.