The dreaded insurance

MarkK92

Guest Swagman

Have you looked at bikes that fall into classic insurance, 20 years or so in age depending on the ins company?

Plenty of decent big bikes in that era, R1 for example;mine is 20 years old next year.

ZX9,Fireblade,GSXR etc.

I've looked at a few. I honestly really love the style of the older superbikes. Certainly 2001-2006 bikes to me look fantastic.

The only thing that does put me off getting something like that is the commute to work. Its 30 miles and into central Manchester so want something that's comfortable if I'm honest.

I'm just not that clued up on nakeds of that era

I can recommend Yamaha fz6 I have two of them ideal for commuting to work and good enough for ride outs too, reliable good on fuel good tank size and range half faired so pretty good in bad weather, fairly cheap on insurance.

Have you looked at bikes that fall into classic insurance, 20 years or so in age depending on the ins company?

Plenty of decent big bikes in that era, R1 for example;mine is 20 years old next year.

ZX9,Fireblade,GSXR etc.

I've looked at a few. I honestly really love the style of the older superbikes. Certainly 2001-2006 bikes to me look fantastic.

The only thing that does put me off getting something like that is the commute to work. Its 30 miles and into central Manchester so want something that's comfortable if I'm honest.

I'm just not that clued up on nakeds of that era

Bandit,Hornet, Fz6

I have a 2013 ST 675R and it is a cracking bike and capable of having a giggle on the track as well. They are fairly cheap to buy and quite a few spare parts kicking around.

Have a look at an older model of SV650 as they too are brilliant beginner/ intermediate bikes, lovely twin sound, very reliable, not bonkers power but plenty on the twisties, shed loads of parts and race parts so fairly easy to get upgrades/ replacements for not a lot of cash. Mid range on the insurance grouping.

CBR600F3/ f4i are also great bikes and fairly cheap.

First big bike, get something cheap so when, and it is when you drop it you can just replace the parts from ebay or Fbook market place.

Have you tried BeMoto for insurance? They are very helpful and are a broker so tend to look around for good deals.

The ironic thing is that where I live is a safe area. There is very little crime. Yes I don't have a garage but even with a garage I was only saving about £600.

My postcode area is big though and covers a few different towns and neighbourhoods. Some affluent and some poor.

Yes, it's interesting how the postcode affect the premium. On a Oxford postcode my premium was £136, per year 3rd fire and theft parking on the public road, I've moved house to hampshire and the insurer wanted an extra £100 to my premium, with the bike being parked on private property away from public? I'm sure it's safer statistically this way!

The ironic thing is that where I live is a safe area. There is very little crime. Yes I don't have a garage but even with a garage I was only saving about £600.

My postcode area is big though and covers a few different towns and neighbourhoods. Some affluent and some poor.

Had a similar issue with my old Kwak, insuring it for the first year cost nearly 1/4 of what the bike set me back despite living in a decent area. In fact, the BMW before it was a fraction of the cost to insure despite living in a MUCH worse area while I owned it. But, it dropped vastly in the second year. I suspect they were worried there was more danger of me getting myself in trouble than the bike getting pinched, and eased off once it survived the first 12 months :lol:

Hi all,

If anyone is needing a quotation at all - even if as a comparison - we're here to assist and will happily call you back.

Alternatively if you'd rather call us we have a dedicated number for the forum - 0800 141 2808.

Stay Safe!

Thanks.

Bikesure

I have a 2013 ST 675R and it is a cracking bike and capable of having a giggle on the track as well. They are fairly cheap to buy and quite a few spare parts kicking around.

Have a look at an older model of SV650 as they too are brilliant beginner/ intermediate bikes, lovely twin sound, very reliable, not bonkers power but plenty on the twisties, shed loads of parts and race parts so fairly easy to get upgrades/ replacements for not a lot of cash. Mid range on the insurance grouping.

First big bike, get something cheap so when, and it is when you drop it you can just replace the parts from ebay or Fbook market place.

Have you tried BeMoto for insurance? They are very helpful and are a broker so tend to look around for good deals.

Ah yeah the SV650. Couldn't think what the model was called. Will take a look at them.

Will have a look at BeMoto too. Cheers

Ah yeah the SV650. Couldn't think what the model was called. Will take a look at them.

Will have a look at BeMoto too. Cheers

I learnt on the SV650 and would highly recommend it as it was a great bike to get used to on that power bracket.

• 3 weeks later...

Grr. *shakes fist at Bennets*

Meerkat quote: £290 fully comp or £330 fully comp with all the extra bits

Click through to their site - £380something or waaay over £400

WTAF Bennets?

Hi all,

If anyone is needing a quotation at all - even if as a comparison - we're here to assist and will happily call you back.

Alternatively if you'd rather call us we have a dedicated number for the forum - 0800 141 2808.

Stay Safe!

Thanks.

Bikesure

Just had an awesome time chatting to one of your agents in her bedroom. Was worth the £50 over Bennets just for the fun. :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

Hi all,

Stay Safe!

Thanks.

Bikesure

Just had an awesome time chatting to one of your agents in her bedroom. Was worth the £50 over Bennets just for the fun. :lol:

Did you find out what she was wearing and whether they were crotchless or not :mrgreen:

WTAF Bennets?

why didn't you just accept their quote through meercats ?

Bennets sent me a renewal wanted nearly £700 , put my details in one of comparison sites and Bennets quoted £300 so took that .

why didn't you just accept their quote through meercats ?

Bennets sent me a renewal wanted nearly £700 , put my details in one of comparison sites and Bennets quoted £300 so took that .

I did. It clicked me through to their website, which automatically loaded £50 from the off, then I confirmed all my details whereupon it added the rest. Some tit named Jordan told me that their Meerkat price is an estimate that they then...*I tailed off at this point*. If the feckers don't want to stump up a best price from the off and stick to it they can go get royally tooled by a scaffolding pole.

WTAF Bennets?

I think insurance companies are all of a muchness. I have decided to stay with Bennetts :shock: after the debacle trying to get a quote, for example from Bikesure.

I have found it difficult to obtain multi bike quotes on these comparison sites. But then again I am a techno-idiot

Spent an age on the phone explaining my requirements i.e multi-bike policy, only to receive a quote for what appears to be for one bike and 'Riding other bikes benefit' WTF is that :roll: no mention of 2nd bike. Bennets quote has gone up by £40 but can't be arsed going over all the details again with other companies or brokers. 2 bikes fully comp for less than £350, I dont think is too bad :shock:

WTAF Bennets?

I think insurance companies are all of a muchness. I have decided to stay with Bennetts :shock: after the debacle trying to get a quote, for example from Bikesure.

I have found it difficult to obtain multi bike quotes on these comparison sites. But then again I am a techno-idiot

Spent an age on the phone explaining my requirements i.e multi-bike policy, only to receive a quote for what appears to be for one bike and 'Riding other bikes benefit' WTF is that :roll: no mention of 2nd bike. Bennets quote has gone up by £40 but can't be arsed going over all the details again with other companies or brokers. 2 bikes fully comp for less than £350, I dont think is too bad :shock:

It’s why I switch companies every year - if people don’t give me their best quote out the door they’re off the list. But for Bennetts to up the price twice for zero reason during the quote process, they can seriously f the effing f off.

I clicked through on the MCE quote on Meerket and it remained the same all the way to the pay option. I’ve half a mind to report Bennetts to the ASA.

I either read or heard that insurance companies are far more interested in getting new customers rather than retaining ones they've already got.

Something about it looking good at end of year reports and share holders meetings to say we have had a 20% increase in new business. :roll:

WTAF Bennets?

It’s why I switch companies every year - if people don’t give me their best quote out the door they’re off the list. But for Bennetts to up the price twice for zero reason during the quote process, they can seriously f the effing f off.

I clicked through on the MCE quote on Meerket and it remained the same all the way to the pay option. I’ve half a mind to report Bennetts to the ASA.

Yet I have never had an issue with bennetts in the 4 years I have been with them! lowest price was £142 including all the bells and whistles 4 years ago and in that time it has increased with each renewal but in 4 years it gone up a few quid at a time and is now costing me £154 with the same level of cover!

Everywhere else wanted well over £200 for the same cover! this is with European breakdown too

As for MCE I would sooner cut off my right arm then go near them

Hopefully it keeps going that way for you [mention]Stu[/mention] !!

I've had to change companies every year as the renewal quotes my existing broker gives me are usually hundreds more than others quote.

I did stay with admiral for 2 years as the guy I spoke to on the phone worked his arse off to keep me, tried everything possible and managed to get me a quote actually cheaper than others.

Rang up the following year and the woman on phone couldn't give a shit and pretty much said that's the best you'll get from us take it or leave it :roll:

I left it! :lol:

I used to have the best quotes from Carole Nash and stuck with them for a few years. Then, all of a sudden, they didn’t want to know despite zero claims and the same machine. There’s witchcraft in policy cost calculations, mark my words.

I won't go for the cheapest quote just to get me on the road. :mrgreen: I always choose LPI and helmet and riding gear cover etc. :shock: expect to pay a little more, but then again, I've had some good experience claiming :roll:

So been having a look around for a few weeks and it seems Triumph Daytona 600 is a decent option. Fairly cheap bike and seems cheap to insure. Well it's not but compared to most it is.

I know some people recommended Daytona as an option but just wanted to hear more about and whether they meant 675 or 600 or both.

At moment don't know huge amount about the model. This bike is just something to own maybe for a year or two whilst my premium hopefully comes down but also to have fun.

I'm riding my 2014 Chinese piece of crap 125 at the moment and although I still like going around the country roads and getting the thrill of getting up to speed (eventually) I really want something with a bit of oomph.

Theres loads of bikes out at the moment in the evenings and its crap watching them leave me behind and old women over taking me as I can't get to 60 quickly enough!

So been having a look around for a few weeks and it seems Triumph Daytona 600 is a decent option. Fairly cheap bike and seems cheap to insure. Well it's not but compared to most it is.

I know some people recommended Daytona as an option but just wanted to hear more about and whether they meant 675 or 600 or both.

At moment don't know huge amount about the model. This bike is just something to own maybe for a year or two whilst my premium hopefully comes down but also to have fun.

I'm riding my 2014 Chinese piece of crap 125 at the moment and although I still like going around the country roads and getting the thrill of getting up to speed (eventually) I really want something with a bit of oomph.

Theres loads of bikes out at the moment in the evenings and its crap watching them leave me behind and old women over taking me as I can't get to 60 quickly enough!

How much was the insurance quote for a Daytona?

Consider a GPZ500S its half a ninja engine & pretty rapid past 7000 rpm & only insurance group 8.

20200531_020607.thumb.jpg.8c0bb866d2a35a72c12709e874c8e58b.jpg

They probably meant the 675, it's a much more sorted bike than the 600.

That being said, I had a Triumph TT 600 (precursor to the Daytona 600), and that was actually pretty decent and not expensive, as it doesn't have a great reputation compared to the equivalent Japanese 600s.

What about the 650?

If you're looking to get a cheaper insurance quote you should go for a naked bike, they are always cheaper than a similar faired bike.

How much was the insurance quote for a Daytona?

Consider a GPZ500S its half a ninja engine & pretty rapid past 7000 rpm & only insurance group 8.

Insurance was around £500 for TPFT and £900 for Comp.

They probably meant the 675, it's a much more sorted bike than the 600.

That being said, I had a Triumph TT 600 (precursor to the Daytona 600), and that was actually pretty decent and not expensive, as it doesn't have a great reputation compared to the equivalent Japanese 600s.

What about the 650?

If you're looking to get a cheaper insurance quote you should go for a naked bike, they are always cheaper than a similar faired bike.

Thanks. I've heard the 675 is overall better bike. It's just out of my price range really. Well more than for that money I could get an old street Triple.

The only 650 I can see on auto trader has an British flag decal on the front which I personally hate.

Yeah just haven't seen any that stand out for me if I'm honest. I might go back and take another look but nothings jumped at me. I hate to say I'm a bit of a sucker for a bike that looks good. Obviously other far more important parts and shouldn't care what bike looks like but guess I'm still a newbie!