Royal Enfield clutch problem

EX GASMAN

Hi I'm having a problem with the clutch on my Bullet 500.

When I first ride it every day the clutch will not disengage, so I put it in gear hold the rear bake on and push the starter the clutch separates and it is fine for the rest of the day.

I am thinking about replacing the plates but not sure if it needs it as there is no slipping or any problem disengaging apart from when it has been standing overnight.

Any ideas please

If it were a kick start model , you would free the clutch by pulling in the lever and kicking it a couple of times . This is standard starting proceedure on British bikes . I'm sure you could do the equivalent by pulling in the clutch and spinning the motor momentarily with the electric motor .

Another way to break them free is pull the clutch lever in put it in gear and push the bike forward. If you don't use the bike regularly I wouldn't replace them because the new ones will probably just end up sticking too.

Thanks for the advice guys, I have had bikes on and off for over 50 years and never had this problem, including when my Harley never came out to play for the winter months. This bike does not have separate primary drive oil it runs in engine oil, don't know if that makes a difference bit the advice has saved a few hours and some cash too.

Guest Swagman

Thanks for the advice guys, I have had bikes on and off for over 50 years and never had this problem, including when my Harley never came out to play for the winter months. This bike does not have separate primary drive oil it runs in engine oil, don't know if that makes a difference bit the advice has saved a few hours and some cash too.

I had the same problem with my zzr1100 when left a couple of days the clutch would not release, when I first spotted it was when I put the bike into gear and it went in with a bang and the bike would lurch forward, as others have said before starting I used to put mine in gear and rock back and forth this would release the plates. :thumb: