Flight refunds

Tiggie

Like i'm sure plenty on here we have had our holiday plans cancelled this year. I should be on my second week in Canada now :roll:

We got a full refund on the Canada flights so all is good for that. However we had bought a New York trip for my eldest Daughters 21st (Was in January) My Wife was taking her in June this year along with another family friend (she paid for that so nothing to do with us). I wasn't going as I've been before and big cities just aren't my thing, I've seen it once and that'll do :lol:

They were flying with American Airlines, They won't give us a refund as thats not their policy apparently and won't let us just take the same flights when next available either. What they are offering is a credit note for the cost of the flights (£375 each, she got a really good deal) which would be fine except looking at flights next year the price has rocketed up to £840 :shock: :shock: :shock:

There is no way we can justify practically an extra £1000 for a 4 night trip, We are trying to claim through Barclay Card at moment to get a refund. If not we have till the end of the year to find a flight to somewhere with American Airlines which is in an acceptable price bracket. We expected we might of had to pay a bit more but not a 124% increase :crybaby:

Anyone else had similar issues?

i must say British airways was really good, offered a credit or refund , took a refund , no quibbles straight back into my offshore :D

did you have travel insurance for trip Tiggie ? they might be able to help.

I think that'll be next route. Wife looked on Martin Lewis website and he is recommending people try through credit card if that's how you paid so will give that a go first.

Easy jet or jet 2 (can't remember which) for Canada was nice and simple too. Just gave us the money back without any quibble :)

Have a look at this Tiggie:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/mar/26/can-i-get-a-cash-refund-instead-of-a-credit-note-coronavirus-travel-questions-answered

We had a similar problem, however Easy Jet came through and we got a refund, our problem was with a UK holiday company. We booked a cottage and had only paid the deposit, the balance was due 8wks prior to departure, the holiday company refused to refund the deposit and told us that we were still liable for the balance, even though we were in lockdown! They said that it was in their terms and conditions (Very small, small print). I ended up taking legal advice and challenging their ruling. They eventually agreed to transfer our booking to next year which we were happy with.

Look into it Tiggie, a lot of companies trying to take the proverbial, thinking they won't be challenged.

Ah hell, this prompted me to check how much my flights at Christmas are going to be and it is not looking pretty.

Definitely would recommend travel insurance whenever booking transatlantic stuff! Years ago Lou and I nearly lost $4000 on our trip to Disneyworld after her crash meant we couldn't fly, thankfully our insurance bailed us out :shock:

We should have been in Aviemore last weekend. The cottage owner accepted a postponement to October.

Expedia are trying to get us to cancel our holiday to Germany, but Which? advise waiting for them to cancel. I contacted the hotel and they said if we cancelled we would only get a 10% refund. We are going to go for a postponement and rebooking for next year.

I'm expecting a refund should be possible. It was the airline that cancelled the flight, not us which should help matters. Glad we paid via credit card as that should give us some protection. Have sent all details and filled forms in with Barclaycard so just need to wait and see.

Phoned Expedia and asked not to cancel but to rebook for next year. They said that since they cannot do that, as the airline (Lufthansa) are not taking rebookings, that we would get our money back, full refund. That meant they would then have to refund us for the hotel. So minus £6.10 fee, we are getting the lot back. Phew!

Expedia still have the money for the hotel, so we get that back within 30 days. Lufthansa have the money for the flight, so we get that back in 2 to 12 weeks.

Relieved, but surprised. Surely it would make more sense to take a rebooking. Expedia said it could be up to 6 months before we can rebook as the airlines start to allocate new flights. The problem is, there may be fewer flights and some routes my never reopen.

Have we seen the end of cheap airline flights?

One show last night talking about credits and refunds , problem is if you take a credit and then airline goes bust ... if atol protected should be ok

That is definitely a worry :?

I don't think airlines will help themselves by doubling their prices either. Could be a big resurgence on British holidays next year :)

My mum had a flight booked with Ryanair that was supposed to happen at the start of this month but of course it was cancelled, they initially offered a cash refund which she applied for but then they switched to offering vouchers instead. I've held off badgering Ryanair for a cash refund so far (I have to do it because she has no idea what an Internet is..) and was hoping that an adult would wade in and force them to offer cash refunds as a matter of course but it doesn't seem to be happening. You still have to contact them through online chat or by phone and best of luck with either one! Sadly it was paid on a debit card too so no extra protection on that front either.

It's all surprisingly difficult.

I believe they're supposed to give you a cash refund if they cancelled the flight, but many airlines are not doing so. Actually managing to directly contact them to ask for a cash refund is now the hard part!

We actually got an email from Agency stating they won't give us a refund and only will credit us for a future flight. Which as I said on my first post is useless as the cost of all flights have more than doubled :shock: Thats why we are pursuing money back through barclay card :roll:

1347876152_Screenshot2020-05-29at12_34_42.png.d2a4992bb58e3b1e74c1274916e8c8d6.png

Edited by Tiggie