Helmet/bike cam

I’m thinking about getting a cam for the bike/helmet. Already have a dash cam in the car because there’s so many tossers on the road these days and wondering if anyone on here has one and if so, is it a helmet cam or a bike cam (if there’s a difference)

In other words if it’s a bike cam where do you fit it and if it’s a helmet cam what do people recommend?

My helmet is a flip front if that makes any difference to how and where it’s fitted.

Keep in mind that in the unfortunate case of an accident or even if you were a witness of one police may want your camera (maybe you can convince them to take only the card) as evidence.

I've installed a dual camera (pretty shitty one tbh) on my bike. the image is not even acceptable and I'm considering a new set but the image follows the bike not the head ;)

Hello

Does it matter what quality picture you're after.

I use the Drift Ghost X when I'm commuting. An incredible 5 hrs battery life at 1080p/30fps and easy controllable by using the app for settings like loop recording times etc. Picture quality is good, but not as good as the Go Pro. IMO. With all the accessories and mounts available these days,there shouldn't be a problem fitting it either at the side or even on top, its your preference. Its small and neat.

I only use the GoPro 3 & 7 for making holiday/touring videos. More faffery IMO, but I can film in 4k/60fps with super smooth quality pictures. It can also loop record if you want it too. An abundance of accessories and mounts are also available. :D

I have a ghost 4k and a GoPro 7, both pretty good cameras, you could mount either of them on a helmet, Ghost is a little bit more streamlined than a GoPro, you may struggle a bit with a flip up helmet though, I've not had any experience with these helmets, may limit where you can put it? You also have to bear in mind that a camera mounted on your helmet, potentially, can exacerbate any injury in an accident, Michael Schumacher is an example, however, I think a lot of that was probably speculation rather than fact, again, I'm not an expert in the kinetics of road accidents, a lot of info, both for and against helmet mounted cameras on the internet so I think it comes to to the individual to risk assess and make their own decision.

I tend to mount mine onto the screen of the bike via a removable clip, almost like a big bulldog clip if you like. I don't have it on the bike all the time though, if I use it when greenlaning I tend to mount it on the side of my helmet, I can send you a photo if you want. I find both cameras give a good, stable, quality image, take some time to go through the settings on the camera and set it up right though.

As Husoi stated, Police will take your camera in the event of an accident, if they pull you for any wrong doings they may also take the camera and use the video footage against you, a lot of people view the use of cameras, potentially, as a double edged sword. However, you'll already know that if you use a car dash cam.

So do you feel it’s better to have one on the bike itself rather than on the helmet?

I would prefer a fixed camera, it will get a steady image while helmet camera will be moving around

Hi have one of these now. Motowolf M3 Motorcycle Dash Camera

bough it off Amazon don't seem to be selling them at the moment but there is a similar one from VonVon for 130 quid

The Motowolf works OK picture quality is acceptable not many dropped frames even at speed not used their software to get the GPS data so don't know what that's like. Used the camera through the winter no issues using a 128gb card

I would recommend you get something that permanent on your bike that starts with the ignition and turns off the same fit set and forget. That way if the worst happens you should have a video of it. Plus its not as obvious if you are stopped for something by the Police.

Finally anything stuck to your helmet is going to add drag so neck strain and also if you do come off it can impact on the floor and add rotational injuries to your neck.

Mine is on the front of the bike so view is to the front only.

21556BE0-339E-4E98-8FE2-F31C7D442F0E.thumb.jpeg.bf7e4cd00fde1715abda8868dfc5f781.jpeg

It is an “Apeman” about £40 on Amazon.

Picture quality on the pc and tablet is good but lately uploading to YouTube seems to degrade the picture.

If you want have a look at some footage in ride reports.

It is wired into a USB unit ignition controlled. Starts recording with ignition on, stops with ignition off. Small hole in the side of the housing for USB lead. Heavy rain does not seem to affect it.

Don’t have one .... don’t want to incriminate myself, they can be confiscated by the police & used against you.

If you’re whiter than white then go a head👍

They surely do and I've got the larger battery pack. That's good for a day though.

I'm rarely out for about more than 3 hours so the normal one is fine for me at the moment.

But how many hours can you get out of the larger battery compared to the normal?

Drift ghost here too, you can have it set so it only records at the push of a button, the 4k drift has a remote which is much easier to set recording save feature, it works by recording a pre selected length of time before and after the trigger point. Down side if your wiped out you probably won't be pushing the button, most other note worthy events can be saved though and no worries about self incriminating.

I too have the Ghost X, I mainly use it for my commute to work. On a single charge, the 5 hour battery life will last me the whole week which ain't bad IMO. I also always have it in the waterproof case to protect it from the elements. If it wasn't for that reason, I would have purchased the bigger battery like [mention]S-Westerly[/mention] has done. I brought it after my accident so I just record it for insurance purposes now.

21556BE0-339E-4E98-8FE2-F31C7D442F0E.jpeg

Picture quality on the pc and tablet is good but lately uploading to YouTube seems to degrade the picture.

It is wired into a USB unit ignition controlled. Starts recording with ignition on, stops with ignition off. Small hole in the side of the housing for USB lead. Heavy rain does not seem to affect it.

I assume this is easily detached if you leave the bike in a carpark?

From a lot of the replies I'm feeling more inclined to go for one that is bike attached rather than helmet attached, plus this one seems a reasonable price as opposed to some I've seen.

From a lot of the replies I'm feeling more inclined to go for one that is bike attached rather than helmet attached, plus this one seems a reasonable price as opposed to some I've seen.

Very little evidence that supports an increased risk from helmet mounted cam, main plus on a helmet cam is it points where your looking, so gets better view of what's around you.

Put it on a bike and you can have a vibration problem......plus it's more difficult to get a clear view.

Seems like there’s for and against for both helmet and bike mount.

I must say I bought a mount to put the phone on the bike when using google maps and no vibration on that but I imagine if a cam was attached to the screen it may be a different matter.

I’m not so sure it’s going to be worth the hassle now to be honest.

To be honest, now, I never bother to remove it. I used to but not now.

Very little evidence that supports an increased risk from helmet mounted cam, main plus on a helmet cam is it points where your looking, so gets better view of what's around you.

True. Helmet mount allows you to point the camera but watching some videos I feel sea sick as the picture is weaving all over the place.

[mention]XTreme[/mention] shows how it should be done though as he tends to look where he is going. :shock: