Engine cutting out if take revs off. (SOLVED)

Any questions and problems about your motorbike? Ask other members for help and advice.
Husci
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 4:17 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki ER5
Location: Leeds
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 9 times

Engine cutting out if take revs off. (SOLVED)

Post by Husci » Thu May 28, 2020 7:40 pm

You reckon cleaning carbs is good place to start? I seem to run ok for a few minutes but then every time stop at junction if I take revs off engine just dies. Earlier It was constantly cutting out. Eventually it just wouldn’t re start at all five minutes later I managed to get it going and take it home keeping revs high. So lucky escape. Any help is very much appreciated.
Last edited by Husci on Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
WD-40
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 am
Bike(s): Yamaha Fazer
Location: Dublin
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by WD-40 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Most bike idle at around 1200RPM. Turn it in a few turns and see if that sorts it. If the idle screw doesn't sort it try putting the choke on a bit. Does it run better with the choke on? If it does it means the bike is running too lean and you probably have a blocked pilot jet. You would have to take the carb out and clean it.

Husci
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 4:17 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki ER5
Location: Leeds
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by Husci » Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 pm

WD-40 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 pm
Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Most bike idle at around 1200RPM. Turn it in a few turns and see if that sorts it. If the idle screw doesn't sort it try putting the choke on a bit. Does it run better with the choke on? If it does it means the bike is running too lean and you probably have a blocked pilot jet. You would have to take the carb out and clean it.
Hi no I’ve not adjusted the idle screw yet. The thing is if i just start the bike like say first thing tomorrow it will just sit there running fine. Then if I take it out and go round block it will be ok for so long I’ll stop at junctions and it’s sound sits there at about 1200. But then five minutes in it just starts to lose it. Can’t seem to stop with out cutting out unless hold revs

User avatar
Tiggie
Moderator
Posts: 3721
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Location: Bingley, West Yorkshire
Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 1361 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by Tiggie » Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 pm

What bike is it? might help someone diagnose it for you
Play nice or I'll wake Rennie up. And nobody wants that!!

Husci
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 4:17 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki ER5
Location: Leeds
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by Husci » Thu May 28, 2020 9:02 pm

Kawasaki ER5

User avatar
WD-40
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 am
Bike(s): Yamaha Fazer
Location: Dublin
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by WD-40 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:15 pm

Husci wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:48 pm
WD-40 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 pm
Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Most bike idle at around 1200RPM. Turn it in a few turns and see if that sorts it. If the idle screw doesn't sort it try putting the choke on a bit. Does it run better with the choke on? If it does it means the bike is running too lean and you probably have a blocked pilot jet. You would have to take the carb out and clean it.
Hi no I’ve not adjusted the idle screw yet. The thing is if i just start the bike like say first thing tomorrow it will just sit there running fine. Then if I take it out and go round block it will be ok for so long I’ll stop at junctions and it’s sound sits there at about 1200. But then five minutes in it just starts to lose it. Can’t seem to stop with out cutting out unless hold revs
You can probably rule out idle speed screw then. If that was the problem it would never idle right. Could be a lot of things. It could be losing spark on a cylinder or it could be fuel supply related. Like a kinked breather or a dodgy vacuum fuel tap. Do they have a vacuum cut off taps? If it does maybe it's faulty and not got enough vacuum to open properly at idle. That's just a guess though. Not sure what the setup is on the ER5

skyrider
Posts: 2657
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): yamaha 225 serow
Location: preston lancs
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 629 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by skyrider » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm

ask Bob about that he will give you full details :idea: :)
the law in all it's majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges to beg in the street and to steal bread.
anatole france

fastbob
Posts: 7181
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Location: Coventry
Has liked: 2880 times
Been liked: 3170 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by fastbob » Thu May 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Husci wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:40 pm
You reckon cleaning carbs is good place to start? I seem to run ok for a few minutes but then every time stop at junction if I take revs off engine just dies. Earlier It was constantly cutting out. Eventually it just wouldn’t re start at all five minutes later I managed to get it going and take it home keeping revs high. So lucky escape. Any help is very much appreciated.
That's what I did on Saturday . A complete strip , inspected all jets , blew through all passages , checked and cleaned the float valves , inspected the diaphragms and needles . Wound in and wound out the pilot air screws to 2.5 turns , everything . Checked , cleaned and gapped the plugs and made sure the petrol tap opened and closed when a vacuum was applied . Here's what I suggest . Stick a load of rags or a little bowl under one carb at a time and undo the screw in the bottom( right hand is easy , left will need a long reach Allen Key or an Allen bit on an extension ) . With the tap on ON , let all the fuel drain out of one carb . Then turn the tap to PRI for just a second to see if more fuel comes out . If it does that's good so shut it off for now . Close the screw . If it dosen't come out , whack the carb with a bit of wood and a hammer until fuel flows and close the screw . Repeat this process with the other one and then with both screws closed , stick the tap on PRI for a minute and the turn it to ON . Fire her up and hopefully it should be fine . It sounds to me like a float valve is sticking but I made sure they were operating freely before I put the carbs back on . Let me know how you get on . The V5 has gone off to Swansea by the way .

fastbob
Posts: 7181
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Location: Coventry
Has liked: 2880 times
Been liked: 3170 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by fastbob » Thu May 28, 2020 9:25 pm

WD-40 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 pm
Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Most bike idle at around 1200RPM. Turn it in a few turns and see if that sorts it. If the idle screw doesn't sort it try putting the choke on a bit. Does it run better with the choke on? If it does it means the bike is running too lean and you probably have a blocked pilot jet. You would have to take the carb out and clean it.
The idle was perfect at a rock steady 1500 rpm with the choke off on Sunday .

fastbob
Posts: 7181
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Location: Coventry
Has liked: 2880 times
Been liked: 3170 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by fastbob » Thu May 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Tiggie wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 pm
What bike is it? might help someone diagnose it for you
I'll do everything I can to help , it was me that just sold it !

User avatar
WD-40
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 am
Bike(s): Yamaha Fazer
Location: Dublin
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by WD-40 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:32 pm

I'd try putting the tap to prime first, that's the easiest thing to do. That bypasses the vacuum control part of the tap so the fuel is gravity fed from the tank to the carb. If that sorts it the fuel tap is the problem and it might just need a clean or a rebuild kit https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/kawasaki/e ... _tap_right

fastbob
Posts: 7181
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Harley Davidson 1200 Roadster
Location: Coventry
Has liked: 2880 times
Been liked: 3170 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by fastbob » Thu May 28, 2020 9:33 pm

There is another possibility , and that is that a float valve is stuck open and one carb is flooding momentarily when you are at idle and then when the throttle is held open the fuel is used op again . This is a common problem with the ER5 but I really thought I had cracked it by fitting PVC Fuel Pipe and a big inline filter . The process that I described above might actually cure this as well if there's a speck of dirt behind the float valve that's small enough to be flushed into the bowl and out of the drain hole .

User avatar
Tiggie
Moderator
Posts: 3721
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:46 am
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Nothing :-(
Location: Bingley, West Yorkshire
Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 1361 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by Tiggie » Thu May 28, 2020 9:34 pm

@fastbob Thats bad luck! I'm sure you will though, I'll leave you to it as you will certainly know that bike better than me!

If I had lived closer I was considering buying it off you too :D
Play nice or I'll wake Rennie up. And nobody wants that!!

User avatar
WD-40
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 am
Bike(s): Yamaha Fazer
Location: Dublin
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 124 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by WD-40 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:37 pm

Yeah I'll stay out of it too. fastbob probably knows it inside out if it was his bike

Husci
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 4:17 pm
Gender: Male
Bike(s): Kawasaki ER5
Location: Leeds
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Engine cutting out if take revs off.

Post by Husci » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm

Thanks Guys and Bob no worries I’ll try all these things tomorrow or Saturday. Still managed to have good fly about on it just had oh shit moment when couldnt get it going at all for 5 or 10 minutes while I pushed it into Aldis car park For a bit haha

Return to “Pitstop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Google [Bot], Husci, KiwiBob, Mr Fro, Swagman, Trendiction [Bot] and 8 guests