Nice afternoon in the sun.

JRH

RC Boat club is open. Max of 2 people and pre booking only.

It’s good when there are no other boats on the water.

8808C3C7-4CA9-4440-BC2E-3F10E15C7422.thumb.jpeg.3a88458df558cb171fbb1230f0d6fa2c.jpeg

RAF fire/crash tender

F639F707-F091-493C-A6B3-0B088E14D5BE.thumb.jpeg.d58b83a151d6d91641bebe2666a9431f.jpeg

FF90FBC1-E1B3-457C-B1CD-5A6EE5B42BD2.thumb.jpeg.1d8e12dc71dce895158851dd2846d394.jpeg

54AFB2E8-1153-43C2-B43A-0AB85CC2A435.thumb.jpeg.463d50d22d597dcc58e460245d16dc03.jpeg

DE85F891-2ACF-4E69-9545-8357F7ECC05A.thumb.jpeg.37f2103e4feb70292a6132f0d64e2034.jpeg

84EB34F4-EA5F-429A-B48E-DA9CCC20ACCB.thumb.jpeg.cd6bdc1aa6dad248d5f5333f2c4f55aa.jpeg

B0E1E827-4685-41E6-945C-5E9467D611DD.thumb.jpeg.59955f12400ee18416c2ad1bd74a02a5.jpeg

This is a mates.

Disappointed that the Fire boat doesn’t spray water!!

It will come. It is being renovated after nearly 40 years in the shed. On an outing in the 1980’s (radio gear was prone to interference from CB radio then) it crashed into a mooring and the functioning fire monitor broke off.

Now the hull and superstructure has had some TLC, mast and lights fixed, working fire monitors are on order. The water intake and tubing is ready.

Nice one [mention]JRH[/mention].

I've never been into that RC stuff........but I've always loved to see model railways.

Haven't had one since I was a kid.......and things have moved on a bit since then.

Seems like these modern ones have a chip in them and they get controlled by computers.

And the attention to detail is astounding!

This is my favourite.......

That's a bit more advanced than what I had as a kid. Still quite like looking at a good display now and again. Was in a restaurant in New England a couple of years ago where they had one running round the dining room. Kept my grandsons happily entertained for ages.

[mention]XTreme[/mention] Been doing RC stuff since the early 70’s. Raced 10th scale electric cars. Run 8th scale nitro powered cars. Flown Gliders (not very well) and helicopters (even worse). Now back into boats, the scale one above and 2 speed boats which I race. Can’t get away from the need for a speed fix.

Went to a model show and there were loads of train layouts, several from Germany, and the amount of detail was fantastic. And you are correct, these days there is a lot of electronics and computers involved in running the train systems.

Nice one @JRH.

I've never been into that RC stuff........but I've always loved to see model railways.

Haven't had one since I was a kid.......and things have moved on a bit since then.

Seems like these modern ones have a chip in them and they get controlled by computers.

And the attention to detail is astounding!

This is my favourite.......

It’s no Michael Bentine’s Pottytime

You've done a cracking job of renovating that after 40yrs....I watched a bloke last year out at Jurby airfield flying a remote control spitfire, great admiration for him, he'd built it himself from scratch. This thing was Fooking massive! It was amazing watching him fly it, I didn't actually realise until then that you needed a licence to fly remote control aircraft.

You've done a cracking job of renovating that after 40yrs....I watched a bloke last year out at Jurby airfield flying a remote control spitfire, great admiration for him, he'd built it himself from scratch. This thing was Fooking massive! It was amazing watching him fly it, I didn't actually realise until then that you needed a licence to fly remote control aircraft.

You don't need a licence to fly RC aircraft. You're still obliged to comply with Civil Aviation Authority regulations and very large models need to be certified as airworthy. I used to fly in aerobatic competitions but the time and cost were beyond me in the end. I got a third place against the then world champion for the discipline I flew in. He got first, second and fourth. I only got third because just before my flight he gave me a tip on something to help me get a tail slide more accurate.

It was a complaint that you didn't need a licence because there are too many idiots who can buy a ready made plans and try to fly it. An RC plane can be dangerous in the wrong hands. With lithium cells and brushless motors the power to weight ratio achievable these days is phenomenal.

If you get a finger in a propeller powered by a glow motor (internal combustion) you lose a finger and the motor usually stalls. If you get a finger in an electric motor you lose a finger, then the motor restarts and you lose the rest of your fingers. Electric motors are far more dangerous.

We had a club rule that you never flew alone, you always had someone else there in case you needed to be driven to hospital.

Model aircraft follow the same laws of aerodynamics, so if you have the wing area you reduce the aerodynamic effect by four. Hence a perfect scale Spitfire that is small is virtually inflatable. For real scale you need bigger models, they are much easier to fly.

You don't need a licence to fly RC aircraft. You're still obliged to comply with Civil Aviation Authority regulations and very large models need to be certified as airworthy. I used to fly in aerobatic competitions but the time and cost were beyond me in the end. I got a third place against the then world champion for the discipline I flew in. He got first, second and fourth. I only got third because just before my flight he gave me a tip on something to help me get a tail slide more accurate.

It was a complaint that you didn't need a licence because there are too many idiots who can buy a ready made plans and try to fly it. An RC plane can be dangerous in the wrong hands. With lithium cells and brushless motors the power to weight ratio achievable these days is phenomenal.

If you get a finger in a propeller powered by a glow motor (internal combustion) you lose a finger and the motor usually stalls. If you get a finger in an electric motor you lose a finger, then the motor restarts and you lose the rest of your fingers. Electric motors are far more dangerous.

We had a club rule that you never flew alone, you always had someone else there in case you needed to be driven to hospital.

Model aircraft follow the same laws of aerodynamics, so if you have the wing area you reduce the aerodynamic effect by four. Hence a perfect scale Spitfire that is small is virtually inflatable. For real scale you need bigger models, they are much easier to fly.

I must admit, he made flying this spitfire look easy.....I know at Jurby where they fly here, they have to inform ATC that their flying in the area and let them know when their finished, the same as I have to when paragliding, I do remember him telling me to fly at Jurby he needed a club licence and had to pass some sort of test to get it? Probably something that is generic to the local club. I reckon, with the size of the aircraft he was flying, if it hit someone it would probably do them a lot of damage, or worse. It is a really popular sport though, I was watching someone on you tube with a remote control jet!! Amazing....

When I was flying gliders I had a BMFA membership for insurance purposes and in their booklet they used to recommend obtaining FAI licences for comet ion flying and flying abroad.

Some clubs also insist on you obtain a club licence.

All model aircraft over 20Kg require CAA certification

He was probably refering to the BMFA or SMAE certificate. I still prefer the original title of SMAE to BMFA.

BMFA = British Model Flying Association

SMAE = Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers.

I still wear my SMAE badge, the only snag is that it resembles the SAS badge so causes some confusion. People know I served with the US Army in an odd capacity and jump to the conclusion it's some form of black ops logo. :lol:

The truth is far less interesting :cry:

@JRH I have an rc question, are rc transmissions dangerous to health at all. Gen question

Yes. If your missus finds out how much your new transmitter cost your health is going to be seriously compromised.

Otherwise, in terms of the output from transmitters, they are so small you'd never have any issues.

@JRH I have an rc question, are rc transmissions dangerous to health at all. Gen question

Yes. If your missus finds out how much your new transmitter cost your health is going to be seriously compromised.

Otherwise, in terms of the output from transmitters, they are so small you'd never have any issues.

Only when you loose the signal and the aeroplane lands on your head.

Seriously as [mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] said no orbs. Modern transmitters use 2.4Ghz which is used on virtually everything these days from garage door openers to cordless phones.

MB there are some really good low cost sets available now. Not sure if the range is good enough for aircraft though.

Only when you loose the signal and the aeroplane lands on your head.

I remember a guy whose signal failed and his model went haywire. It was a fast .60 installed in a thing called a Cherry Bomb. The damn thing hurtled round us totally out of control, we gave up watching it and just got ourselves inside a shipping container which served as our field clubhouse. Waited there until went quiet.

It had hit someone's car, punched a hole through one door and the engine came out of the opposite door.

But I know of a few cases where radio failure led to fatalities. A glow aero engine is running at about 18000rpm with a rotating blade attached to the front of it. You do not want to make contact with such a device.

• 2 weeks later...

[mention]Mickly[/mention] all the bits have now arrived so spent far too many hours getting the fire monitors working. :up:

I can remember going to the model boat display ( Naval Warfare) at Peaseholme Park Scarborough when i was younger, do they still do it or like everything else has it been cancelled because it's not PC anymore :cheers:

P.S just had a quick google, still on but the cheeky bugger's are charging for it, used to be free when i went :shock:

@Mickly all the bits have now arrived so spent far too many hours getting the fire monitors working. :up:

Bloody brilliant .. well done that man !!

I can remember going to the model boat display ( Naval Warfare) at Peaseholme Park Scarborough when i was younger, do they still do it or like everything else has it been cancelled because it's not PC anymore :cheers:

P.S just had a quick google, still on but the cheeky bugger's are charging for it, used to be free when i went :shock:

I remember going there when I was much much younger. :thumb:

Nice boat...

Always been one for sail me...

Sadly of the water at the moment till I can find the fault with old transmitter or get new longish range new one.

She's so much more fun to sail on bigger bits of water...

Nice boat...

Always been one for sail me...

Sadly of the water at the moment till I can find the fault with old transmitter or get new longish range new one.

She's so much more fun to sail on bigger bits of water...

A friend of mine races 1 metre class rc yachts. Tried his many times after the races have finished. It is not easy. I’m fine on a relatively clear water but no way I could race them.