Valko

<t>Do you obey lockdown rules</t>  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you obey lockdown rules

• Yes I am a stickler for rules.
    • Depends on circuimstances.
    • Nah I am Cummings.
    • What rules?

Leaving aside whether Cummings complied with the guidelines or not.... surely a question to ask is how does a key government strategist get into the position where he and his wife have no arrangements in place to look after their children?

Cummings claims to have foreseen the pandemic last year, so how on earth was he so to unprepared?

This is the guy whose strategic thinking steered Brexit, so it would be nice to think he had some kind of a clue where things are going.

I've come to the conclusion that none of our governing class of any political persuasion have a bloody clue as to what the hell they are supposed to be doing and why. They're all just chancers and snake oil salesmen.

Guest Swagman

I feel this is simple he is a fecking liar simple as, so who is looking after his child who is coming from a home in which both parents have covid, 14 days isolation that must mean the child also or am I wrong?.

On top of that because of Johnson's sheer arrogance and incompetence, the UK is now the worst Covid19 affected country in the world!

Daily confirmed coronavirus deaths per million, rolling 7-day average.

May 25, 2020:

1. UK

2. Sweden

3. Brazil

4. US

5. Peru

6. Spain

7. Ecuador

8. Belgium

9. Mexico

10 Canada

11 Italy

12 Chile

13 Ireland

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average

I'm not trying to defend the government one bit - they've lost the plot when it comes to keeping much integrity together - but using the 7-day rolling average here isn't very fair since it is always changing. Last week Sweden was the at the top, this week it's the UK, a few weeks ago it was Spain, and so on. Like looking at which team won the most league points this week, it doesn't tell you who's at the top of the table.

A bit more fair is the all-time deaths per million, which is currently looking like this:

811669953_94jqSYb-Imgur.png.f67514ef9d5ca47755ce0312dec6d213.png

This is about the best we can do for whose at the top of the league, but even this isn't a fair comparison, as different countries have very different ways of counting (for example, Belgium include everyone who died with any respiratory symptoms, and I'm not sure who Brazil and Ecuador are including - and nor are they). Also, each country is at a different stage of the outbreak: some are coming to the end (of the first wave) while other are just beginning to be engulfed by it. Apart from singling out Germany, who have clearly done an amazing job - it's going to be a while before anyone can say with any honesty what the figures mean.

Of course, the journalists, who are much less interested in what the figures are saying than in what they are saying, don't like to point that out.

A bit more fair is the all-time deaths per million, which is currently looking like this:

94jqSYb - Imgur.png

This is about the best we can do for whose at the top of the league, but even this isn't a fair comparison, as different countries have very different ways of counting (for example, Belgium include everyone who died with any respiratory symptoms, and I'm not sure who Brazil and Ecuador are including - and nor are they).

I take your points. In order to avoid counting confusion the best way would be to count all excess deaths then?

For all the people saying, these are unprecedented times, Boris Johnson is doing a good Covid19 job protecting our lives and families. Give him a break. Who could have done a better job?

Literally anyone if we use excess deaths rates:

https://i.imgur.com/NPeDye2.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

94jqSYb - Imgur.png

This is about the best we can do for whose at the top of the league, but even this isn't a fair comparison, as different countries have very different ways of counting (for example, Belgium include everyone who died with any respiratory symptoms, and I'm not sure who Brazil and Ecuador are including - and nor are they).

I take your points. In order to avoid counting confusion the best way would be to count all excess deaths then?

For all the people saying, these are unprecedented times, Boris Johnson is doing a good Covid19 job protecting our lives and families. Give him a break. Who could have done a better job?

Literally anyone if we use excess deaths rates:

https://i.imgur.com/NPeDye2.jpg' alt='IMGUR>'>

Go live in Israel then.

South Africa did well on the excess deaths by virtue of a huge reduction in the amount of murders due to lockdown. Doesn't mean that I think they've done a better job. Lies, damn lies and statistics. Still think we might have done better but we saved the NHS and totally f**ked everything else. Hey ho.