Your most used tool (don't be filthy!)

Tiggie

Guest Richzx6r

£75 :shock: for a set of screwdrivers.....more money than sense

You are getting 9 quality screwdrivers for that price. No more chewed up screws and they should last a lifetime for an average diy home mechanic. It's a one off investment that what you have to tell yourself :?

Well yeah it costs more but.....£75 for .....some screwdrivers

Or £90 in stu's case :laugh:

£75 :shock: for a set of screwdrivers.....more money than sense

You are getting 9 quality screwdrivers for that price. No more chewed up screws and they should last a lifetime for an average diy home mechanic. It's a one off investment that what you have to tell yourself :?

Just over £8 a screwdriver at that price!

Its a good investment

But as I say you don't need the slotted ones and the IMPACTA's so just buy these at £27

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=7575847

Although the IMPACTA's are good for stubborn screws

Pfft, Just get yourself one of these :thumb:

villeroy-boch-Oscar-Dinner-knife-MB-233mm-30.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was changing a plug the other week and told the wife to get a screwdriver out the drawer!

She looked at me stupid and I had to show her a screwdriver out the drawer!

Her reply was thats a f*cking knife! :roll:

My Wife once asked me to get her a screwdriver to take lid off of a can of paint. I told her just to use a knife. I expected her to use a dinner knife not a paring knife from the bloody expensive block :crybaby:

Snapped in half. I actually ground it into a point and its still in use, a bit short though :roll:

Its a good investment

But as I say you don't need the slotted ones and the IMPACTA's so just buy these at £27

https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=7575847

I've got a set of Vessels. I really like them as they fit JIS very well and the serrated tip gives more grip on the screw head, even ones that have been a bit chewed up by some chump using a posidrive. :roll:

I can see how the Impacta would be handy and I'm very tempted but I'm trying to get a £1.5k welder by the wife at the mo so they might have to wait. :lol:

Blimey, £1.5k for a welder. That's got to be a good bit of kit. Mine was £40 second hand off RetroRides. To be fair it's kept my runabout on the road for more years than our MOT station thought possible.

Mind you one of my DIY exhaust systems caused great mirth and comments of unnecessary cruelty. But it didn't leak so it passed.

I am a bit of a magpie with tools so it's hard to say which is the favourite. But the one bit of kit I could not live without is my cordless Dremel.

Yeah, it is a bit steep. I've got a few jobs coming up that require welding aloooominum. I can manage with the MIG but the welds look a bit gash so it'll have to be ac TIG to make it look pretty.

I've discovered over the years that cheap welders (and tools in general) are shite so it's worth laying out the cash. Sadly.

I go by the rule if I use it all the time buy quality.

If it's something I use now and then like my electric planer or my belt sander I just buy the cheapest Screwfix are selling :D

I go by the rule if I use it all the time buy quality.

If it's something I use now and then like my electric planer or my belt sander I just buy the cheapest Screwfix are selling :D

Some Screwfix stuff is ace. I've been out with my big daddy Titan SDS drill today breaking up some concrete - went through it like butter.

It was cheap so I abuse the f**k out of it and it just keeps going!

@Ian Frog im on about the cbr 400rr that im eventually getting !! Its doing my head in 😫

[mention]gymwitch[/mention] Any further news on that front?

Cheers

Ian

Its a good investment

I've got a set of Vessels. I really like them as they fit JIS very well and the serrated tip gives more grip on the screw head, even ones that have been a bit chewed up by some chump using a posidrive. :roll:

I can see how the Impacta would be handy and I'm very tempted but I'm trying to get a £1.5k welder by the wife at the mo so they might have to wait. :lol:

https://rhdaveywelding.co.uk/

I've had some good deals from these in the past, they very good on beating prices usually, sometimes means it comes direct from the manufacturer in a box with no plug but warranty is the same, most of my stuff ends up with a 16 or 32amp plug anyway so it's no prob.

Also https://www.weldequip.com/

You can get an ac jasic for 1k with 3yr warranty.

I would drop a line to the first one though, got my ifl tig from them.

https://rhdaveywelding.co.uk/

I've had some good deals from these in the past, they very good on beating prices usually, sometimes means it comes direct from the manufacturer in a box with no plug but warranty is the same, most of my stuff ends up with a 16 or 32amp plug anyway so it's no prob.

Also https://www.weldequip.com/

You can get an ac jasic for 1k with 3yr warranty.

I would drop a line to the first one though, got my ifl tig from them.

It's the Jasic 200p I'm looking at. I'm not a huge fan of Weldequip but that first site has them a bit cheaper so you've saved me a few quid there! :thumb:

I've just seen a thread on mig-welding about a Polish version that's half the price and I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't a bit tempted to take a punt on one of those instead. Hmm... :scratch:

I have not had to return anything yet lol but service from rh davey has been great, bought my dad a jasic for Xmas simply for size and weight, he's been very impressed with it. I have a cheap ac/dc of Chinese origin and by cheap its not, was still 800 its not a patch on any of the other machines.

One thing Ive learnt in just over 18 months of modern Japanese bike ownership is that fixings are generally made of cheese.. and the japanese arent exactly renowned as cheese makers. So to avoid nigtmares going forward I tend to use a torque wrench a lot. is it currently my most used tool? Probably not, but its definitely the most vital.

And i could care less about those who say.. "I never use a torque wrench. because I is an expert, innit.. and please ignore my huge collection of easy-outs. bro."

I bought a new one and its a thing of beauty. Ive read far too many stories about unreliable Norbars. so that also rules out Halfords. And so.. as part of my bid to have absolutely nothing made in China.. once again Amazon and its daily deals came to the rescue.

125Nm never felt so good.

P1000034.thumb.JPG.89c85d236b109fbf6db836b265e205d3.JPG

I know more people that have stripped threads with a torque wrench than without one!

Torque settings are designed for clean threads, Get a bit of oil in there and you can add a lot more tension to those threads which is what strips them!

I'm no expert but I have some 10 year old easy outs that have never been used and never lost a bolt........it's easy init

My most used bit of kit is this knackered old tool tray, use it everytime im working on my cars or bikes outside the garage.

20200530_164203_copy_1238x1651.thumb.jpg.1781d8a1b31173c6c2007533f185a049.jpg

One of my favourite tools to use is my Snap On 1/4 drive ratchet.

20200530_164213_copy_1238x1651.thumb.jpg.44395fbf457557ea25bacff253bcc4e1.jpg