Help, broke the bolt adjusting the wheel for the chain

James in Brum

Hi gang.

I’ve forked you. I was trying to take the slack out of my chain. Really I need to put a new chain on but I’m not confident so was starting with this. I have snapped the little bolt at the back of the swing arm.

377911EB-59AC-4BC0-8699-9CD2DD4925D0.thumb.jpeg.da0705553f2f72814dd7921d6893e49a.jpeg56E496FE-DB1D-447D-827A-2AFB00246316.thumb.jpeg.26d6b54a71c18b77fcf49c0042e70020.jpeg

Two things. What do I do now?

How the f**k do I adjust the chain once I have mended or replaced that bit some how?

I loosened the torque link nuts, the axle but could not move tha axel back. In the end I tried tightening the chain adjuster bolt via the nut which snapped it off.

I use my bike to commute and although I can use the car it’s not a long term option.

I'm not sure if this is your exact model of bike, check it out yourself but I had a look at the parts manual in the link and it seems that on a ZZR600 you can replace just the bolt that you snapped by itself which is handy. Take the axle out, take the adjuster out, take the broken bolt out, put it back together. Should be easy.

https://www.oemmotorparts.com/oem5.asp?M=Kawasaki&T=ZZR%20600&Y=2004&L=KA-ZZR600-8&O=Swing%20arm&F=KA-ZZR600-8_BF&L2=KA-ZZR600-8_BF

You could still ride it the way it is if you really have too but you won't be able to take the slack out of the chain. It could be too slack to ride safely. If it's very slack you would risk it jumping off the sprocket. It's up to you if you think it's safe or not.

You will need to take the bolt out for sure regardless you repair/rebuild or fit a new one.

Before you go any further remove the small bolt on the top near the end of the arm, you should have another one on the bottom.

Then take the axle out and you should be able to remove the chain extender.

You could have it repaired.

For that you would cut the bolt near the axle ring and weld a new one to it then reassemble the whole thing.

If you're not confident enough you will need to get a new part and replace it.

:cheers:

Update. I have drilled a hole in the middle of the bolt. Hammered a torx bit in and undone the bolt leading to maximum extension on the adjustment.

My head says I could stick the nut on and tighten it all up (if equal on both sides) and that will be okay until I get a replacement part and then I can and will do sprockets and chain all in one go.

Am I right?

Also to adjust on the non broken side do I turn the bolt?

If you can get the chain slack in spec and the wheel straight you should be ok to ride it. But you have to be careful not to over tighten the chain. You can do a lot of damage if it's too tight. You could ruin the bearings in gearbox or snap the chain which could cause a crash. You tightened that adjuster a long way. Usually they only need a turn or two on both sides to get the correct slack. Your chain could be way too tight now. If it is don't ride the bike. I would order the broken bolt. It makes no sense to weld the old one if it's so easy to replace it

Thanks [mention]WD-40[/mention]

I have moved it back so there is roughly 35mm of travel at the mid point on the chain. It was too tight as was.

Lesson learned. A little movement goes a long way.

I’ve torqued up the axel and they look to be in the same position on the marks on both sides.

I’m not sure I do need a new chain currently after all.

Can I check that the adjuster bolt in place with a nut on it but only a couple of threads engaged will not be dangerous?

I will order a new bolt tonight but would like to be riding if I can?

It looks dodgy doesn't it? It's up to you if you think it's safe or not. I think the axle and the axle nut are taking all the force so you should be ok but I would order that bolt now and replace it asap.

I would ride it. The chain adjusters are there to adjust the chain. They don't do anything when the axle is torqued into place. I would still get it replaced though!!

Thank you gang.

Done it all up. There is some play in the chain but now creaking or knocking sound when I turn the back wheel. The sound comes from the front sprocket.

Any thoughts?

I cannot remember if it is new. I am going to take the tension off the chain and see if it stays.

Chain could be over tight. that makes a knocking sound sometimes if it is. Remember as well when setting the chain to factor in your weight when sat on it! If its tight on the stand It'll be really tight when you sit :)

Thank you all.

Where I am at:

I adjusted it all so that with no weight on the bike there was no knocking. All happy and did it all up and reversed into the garage and there was knocking with my weight on the bike. My plan now is to leave it in the garage. Get the requisite bolt and then one evening take it all apart, clean, replace the broken bit put it back together and have thoroughly read up on chain adjustment. There seems to be so much slack when not sat on the bike and none when I sit on.

Sounds like a good plan to me. Check for tight links in the chain too. If you've got tight link you should replace the chain. And check for wear or damage on the front sprocket. The front sprocket wears faster than the rear

Are the bolts just bolts? I’m struggling to work this out. I can get some that say they are the correct part and part number for 4,50 euros (why euros I’m not sure, I guess a euro shop) but then another 15 postage.

I cannot find the correct part number otherwise 921501285