Pull behind trailer project

husoi

Alternative to trailer is parcel monkey.

£10 overnight delivery most places in UK.

Send some clean stuff to yourself half way through and return dirty stuff... Keeps bike light and makes travel easier.

My mum when flying used to send her hold luggage to my sister by post it was cheaper and she did not have to carry it...

That doesn't work when you are stopping in different places and my touring is around Europe.

Need both to get more storage, hence the trailer, and as I did last time that most stuff stayed on the bed ;)

Stay in hotels? No need for all the camping gear and so much more civilized.

You don't want to go there :)

Hotels are more practical but more expensive.

Camping is not only cheaper is also a lifestyle option.

True enough. I only camp if I'm backpacking into the hills for a longer fishing outing. Otherwise it's at least BhB😁

I do the opposite, mostly camping and the odd day on hotel.

There we have a long shower and a good rest. that keeps it going for another few days.

Another advantage of a trailer is that you don't have to take it with you to the room ;) If is strong and well locked to the bike, one makes the set safer, nobody will think about stealing a 300kg bike with a trailer attached to it, and two, you have plenty space for the helmets in the panniers so you can walk around just carrying the camera. I can even takes the boots off and put sandals.

Yeah that's true. TBH I'm just wimpy at the thought of a trailer on the bike. Not really that keen on a pillion either.

I don't fancy the idea of any of them :P

But next time I go to Portugal I want to bring some of the food they have there.

Another good thing about a trailer is that you will get far less speeding tickets.

There are advantages to the trailer especially on longer trips, also the ability to spend an adhock night where you like.

I would much sooner be in a tent in the Highlands on me tod than in a hotel having to give a semblance of civility to other twats 😁

Yeah that's true. TBH I'm just wimpy at the thought of a trailer on the bike. Not really that keen on a pillion either.

But next time I go to Portugal I want to bring some of the food they have there.

Another good thing about a trailer is that you will get far less speeding tickets.

Only if you remember to abide by the lower speed limits and that you are restricted on the amount if lanes you can use on a motorway ie 3 lanes or more you are not allowed trailers in the outer lane

Only if you remember to abide by the lower speed limits and that you are restricted on the amount if lanes you can use on a motorway ie 3 lanes or more you are not allowed trailers in the outer lane

Indeed, and with a trailer you have the perfect excuse to stay away from major cities ;)

Get to a campsite for 2 or 3 days and go on those fabulous countryside road without no additional weight.

There are advantages to the trailer especially on longer trips, also the ability to spend an adhock night where you like.

I would much sooner be in a tent in the Highlands on me tod than in a hotel having to give a semblance of civility to other twats 😁

There's 2 things that work against that - a hot bath and midges! As for civility to twats I gave up on that long since. Usually just tune them out.

The best thing about when we had the boat was being able to anchor in remote west coast anchorages literally miles from anywhere. Total isolation - bliss. Anchor far enough offshore there's no midges, you can carry loads of stuff, sleep in a comfortable bed and fish for your supper. Only used to pull into a harbour for fuel,water or food.😀

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst i was getting my fishing gear together, i found a 160L storage box that i had spare, and with some mods and custom metalwork i reckon it would make a fantastic trailer, what do you think :lol: :thumb:

5060456650629_01c

Guest Swagman

Whilst i was getting my fishing gear together, i found a 160L storage box that i had spare, and with some mods and custom metalwork i reckon it would make a fantastic trailer, what do you think :lol: :thumb:

5060456650629_01c

Feck the mods just tie it to you mudguard and away you go. :cheers: :cheers:

5060456650629_01c

This thread may be useful to you unless you've already seen it :thumb:

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=59687

5060456650629_01c

This thread may be useful to you unless you've already seen it :thumb:

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=59687

Cheers [mention]Tankbag[/mention] i have seen it :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

So today the adventure begins :)

I decided to make the trailer 80 cm wide, this because the bike is 82 cm wide on the panniers.

While still deciding which process to use for the carbon fibre reinforcement I started the works on the trailer.

Because I want the wheels to run inside the box maximising the storage space I will be building the frame after I have the box done.

The process started with marking the centre of the base in 3 points, then mark the 9cm each side for the 18 cm needed.

For that U used a CD marker as they are great to write on plastic and a string I have wondering around.

426579486_base1.thumb.jpg.1f31b53135a27057e3a113a0e0f575be.jpg

Marking the centre

2127893931_base1a.thumb.jpg.2d138968a752dce23ea0cd67d70b0d76.jpg

Cutting lines

421810360_base2.thumb.jpg.e7dc20e5faa1c88832a9caf0578926be.jpg

Cutting lines

2042464219_base3.thumb.jpg.cbba5a72d86266ee5661843a8bd21989.jpg

cutting lines

After cutting the base I made a frame to hold it together. This will serve to apply the reinforcement.

1548953076_base5.thumb.jpg.b817df545ae115e09bd31d471529ef36.jpg

Inside base

The frame was fixed using the holes to fix the roof box to the car.

1667054625_base4.thumb.jpg.771db98bc3b06d1316e56d152d7e0fa9.jpg

Temp support frame

1514600654_base6.thumb.jpg.5b55b61896956a13779920dbbf54fd42.jpg

Temp support frame

The top side was pretty much the same method so I won't be displaying as many pictures

854715460_cover1.thumb.jpg.6108d374a27357c8fce74a2b395e2620.jpg

Marking cutting lines

94005341_cover2.thumb.jpg.b0ad92dc451fa7a708dd1cc0157e74a4.jpg

cut cover

The cutting of the top was made in way that it would fit the base.

Next I started cutting the top ring of the base so I can install the 20cm extension.

Initially I was considering the extension to the top but then decided that would be better to have the extension on the base so the storage is there when the cover is open.

The tools I have used for this job was my mini grinder with a cutting disk on most of the cuts, the metal hacksaw on the recesses on the base.

The drill to remove the locks, hinge holders etc.

Unfortunately, the mini cutter that I was using to cut the top ring decided to pack-up and I had to return it, this teaches me not to buy cheap stuff ;), so I have now ordered a new one so I can finish the cutting.

The reason to use a mini cutter instead of the grinder is just because the cut is far more precise and a 1.5mm cut opposite to 3mm on the grinder.

Next will be ordering the carbon fibre and resin to make the reinforcement on both the base and the cover.

The process I'm considering is:

Cover

Red carbon/kevlar cloth with clear resin finish. (This will remove the need to paint the cover. ;)

Black carbon fibre 200gr/m2 and resin in 2 layers on the inside

Base

Black carbon fibre 200gr/m2 and resin in 2 layers on the inside.

Extension

200mm 200gr/m2 tape and resin in 2 layers

Top ring will be bonded to the extension during construction.

1057770389_base7.thumb.jpg.d525319402bebbfd49a2ce523b77ba33.jpg

Cutting top for extension

Up date from yesterday

Wasn't going to do it but then I thought that would be best practice and would make things easier on the long run to weld the parts together so it stays in place.

Started with the base and will be doing the same with the cover.

I'm glad I didn't throw the cut bits, the ABS is excellent and makes welding really easy.

I Think I'll be keeping it just in case I need to do some repairs ;)

IMG_20200601_083117.thumb.jpg.459d9688a6a0b34310f9ae56ecee4025.jpg

IMG_20200601_083131.thumb.jpg.d0b7a7b14ede26346a70dcaafed074bc.jpg

I'll be interested in how well you can get the carbon fibre & resin to adhere to the plastic, I always found it doesn't make a good bond to anything subject to vibration. You could always try drilling a series of holes so the resin effectively forms a rivet into the structure of the box.

Up date from yesterday

Wasn't going to do it but then I thought that would be best practice and would make things easier on the long run to weld the parts together so it stays in place.

I'm glad I didn't throw the cut bits, the ABS is excellent and makes welding really easy.

Hi [mention]husoi[/mention] that does seem to weld really well, can I ask what heat source you used for that?

Cheers

Ian

Up date from yesterday

Hi @husoi that does seem to weld really well, can I ask what heat source you used for that?

Cheers

Ian

Believe it or not I'm using the very first 30W soldering iron I ever bought when I was 14, 44 years ago :)

The end bit should be a bit wider but once you get used to it it works fine.

Ideally plastic welding should be done with a air gun with a dedicated end, usually less than 5mm diameter. But I've no intention in spending money one one that I would be using once in a while. These tools, proper ones would cost around £150 upwards.

Using the soldering iron you just need to make sure you don't overheat the plastic and burn it, hence the low power being ideal.

IMG_20200601_102439.jpg.7bfa94a8cb2c3c56858113d1b78f86a2.jpg