I've decided my old (new to me) gsxr could probably do with an oil and filter change, are these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-68813-Oil-Filter-Strap-Wrench-Repair-Adjustable-Removal-Tool/283426758043?hash=item41fd8d1d9b:g:fk8AAOSw27dclPH0

sort of things any use for taking off the old filter? And is it easy to fit a new one?

Cheers :)

I had the one with the chain but the space was too narrow and I had to get a metal band one.

Not sure if the leather one won't start slipping if the filter was fitted too tight.

Guest Richzx6r

I use the oil filter cup type that you use a 3/8 drive ratchet with the oil filters just sit in them and are easy in tight spaces

Guest Richzx6r

Personally I just smear a small amount of engine oil on the sealing face on the filter get it hand tight then just tweak it up with the wrench doesn't need much more than that

I've decided my old (new to me) gsxr could probably do with an oil and filter change, are these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-68813-Oil-Filter-Strap-Wrench-Repair-Adjustable-Removal-Tool/283426758043?hash=item41fd8d1d9b:g:fk8AAOSw27dclPH0

sort of things any use for taking off the old filter? And is it easy to fit a new one?

Cheers :)

I've got a socket style filter wrench that I used on my GSXR . PM me if you want it . Chain wrenches work well but if you invested in a K&N or Hi Flo oil filter with a 17mm hex on it you could just use an ordinary socket .

If anyone wants one of those for free ( plus £5.00 postage ) let me know . I found it to be utterly useless .

If anyone wants one of those for free ( plus £5.00 postage ) let me know . I found it to be utterly useless .

I've never had a problem with mine, you just have to make sure it's properly seated. Although I tend to use K&N now which have a nut on the end to make life easier.

What's wrong with the good old hammer a screwdriver through the filter?

Apart from the fact that if it doesn't work you are then left with a jagged flesh slicing monstrosity welded to your engine.

I have several types of oil filter wrenches, but the best so far is like this one - so long as it is isn't recessed

Guest Richzx6r

Just changed the filter in my car today, 27mm plastic nut on top of the housing. Makes the job a lot easier :D

Got one of them on the jaaag and they are so much easier eh :thumb:

When changing the filter my Merc E350 my mate has a set of what is supposed to be all the sizes but couldn't find one to suit lol.

As I get all my servicing done at his place I went and bought the cup wrench from Mercedes and they admitted that model is different to all the others !I could have screamed, we wasted a lot of time on that lol.

Mind since then I have loaned it out on several occasions so it`s paid for itself.

Cheers

Ian