Helmet/bike cam

Mine is a bit of both. Never needed the evidence side but good to know it's there if I need it and the odd clip is quite nice to remind myself of good rides when I'm away at sea.

I've recently bought a chest mount which to be honest I didn't really like to look of to begin with. It turns out that it is easy to put on, comfortable to wear, puts the camera in a good place to see the ride and doesn't lead to the same vibration as when it's clamped to the bike.

The Olfi chest strap uses GoPro mounts and is very cheap.

I can't recommend the Sony AS30V it worked fine for a few years but now cycles in start mode apparently it's a common problem. So I went Innov front & rear bike mounted ( covertly installed ) & the sony is on my lid but it doesn't record, it is the sacrificial lamb if I'm unlucky :lol:

I guess handing over a dud cam aint against the law

They might fix it for me :thumb:

You could claim for a new one when they send it back broke.

Nah I couldn't do that its contrary to star trek federation engagement rules

I guess handing over a dud cam aint against the law

They might fix it for me :thumb:

You could claim for a new one when they send it back broke.

I've fixed it :scratch: I'm not sure how, it was either a faulty sd card or the firmware update kicked it back to life. Plus now it'll do 60fps.

I'm going to strap it to the faster dog today :lol:

Guest Richzx6r

I’m thinking about getting a cam for the bike/helmet. Already have a dash cam in the car because there’s so many tossers on the road these days and wondering if anyone on here has one and if so, is it a helmet cam or a bike cam (if there’s a difference)

In other words if it’s a bike cam where do you fit it and if it’s a helmet cam what do people recommend?

My helmet is a flip front if that makes any difference to how and where it’s fitted.

I use a bike cam from ebay, it has 2 cameras 1 front 1 rear and a display that I have tucked underneath the pillion seat it cost around £40 and so far I have had no problems with it

I am getting increasingly tempted by a cam for safety reasons.

I bought a Chinese GoPro copy and it works, bike mounted keeping vibrations down is tough.

With 2 bikes a car and my misses car and being to look lazy to keep moving it I am stuffed.

For me the cams must be set and forget.

I bought a Nextbase 222 yesterday and it comes with 2 mounts a permanent sticky and a suction used the sticky on the bike screen and can use the suction in the car, not a bad bit of kit really and vibration is minimal ordered a polarising filter for it to reduce screen glare, really happy with it so far :thumb:

I bought a Nextbase 222 yesterday and it comes with 2 mounts a permanent sticky and a suction used the sticky on the bike screen and can use the suction in the car, not a bad bit of kit really and vibration is minimal ordered a polarising filter for it to reduce screen glare, really happy with it so far :thumb:

Next base record speed with video, you can't turn it off, you can stop it displaying but the daya is still there.

Next base record speed with video, you can't turn it off, you can stop it displaying but the daya is still there.

I don't speed so no worries there :lol: :thumb:

I can't speed so no worries there :lol: :thumb:

Fixed

My advice/opinion

If you don't value your life/you enjoy taking extra risks and choose to "open her up" at every opportunity

then any camera (evidence) is going to be "down voted"

If you ride with common sense (like many youtubers (TMF, Teapotone, Spicy110) then cameras are beneficial and do the job and it's very rare that "the evidence" is used against you

I started out with the cheap Asian GoPro type 1080 cameras for £30 (if that) but batteries lasted only 45mins - additional batteries or more powerful batteries could be found for a few quid. They did the job (WiFi etc but no stabilisation) Best fitted to helmet to reduce potential vibrations and also because they are then pointed to where you're looking.

I've now upgraded to the Ghost X on helmet with the former cheapo permanently wired under the Givi Monolock mounting plate as a rear view camera set as loop recording - as soon as the ignition is on the camera wakes up and starts recording - not too bothered about vibration so long as it catches the moment someone rear ends me...just in case

Siting of the camera will depend on for what reason you want one. If it's "just in case" accident evidence then you'd probably want to fix it to your helmet and where on the helmet is mainly personal depending on you, your riding style and your ride. Very little wind turbulence will be noticed by many but the sporty, tucked down rider will probably notice much more.

If you're well off and £300+ is pocket change then go buy a GoPro

If you're a tight git like me and unsure - spend £30 and try it - if it does what you want then keep an eye out for Ghost X or equivalent for when it's on offer then snap it up then hard wire the cheapo to your tail tidy or nearby

My helmet is also "flip front" - Ghost X fitted to side - Bluetooth comms fitted opposite side

My previous helmet was same - but previous camera fitted to top of helmet (didn't like the side mount fitting option)

HTH