What size breaker bar?

James in Brum

No idea on the torque required for your nuts 🤪, but make sure you get a good bar, long is good you can add a tube to it for real stubborn things but not if it's made of cheese.

Bought one from halfords years ago, went to take wheel of wife's focus, bit of effort and away it went, or so I thought, nope I just ripped the 1/2 drive out of the end knuckle, straight back it went followed by an argument over misuse, Errr I used it to take the wheel of that car.

I'd go for the bigger one :lol:

My first breaker bar that I still use on occasion was an old dumbbell bar that fits over my wrench (I know all the issues and reasons why not to do this before anyone chimes in!!)

[mention]Richzx6r[/mention] when I moved into my house about 5 years ago I found a 5ft piece of scaffold down the side of the garage. Was well pleased even though I haven't needed to use it yet :lol:

I'd go for the bigger one :lol:

My first breaker bar that I still use on occasion was an old dumbbell bar that fits over my wrench (I know all the issues and reasons why not to do this before anyone chimes in!!)

Ditto , I also have a weight bar that fits over my wrench handle . 👍😁

@Richzx6r when I moved into my house about 5 years ago I found a 5ft piece of scaffold down the side of the garage. Was well pleased even though I haven't needed to use it yet :lol:

This is getting silly . I also have a piece of scaffolding pole . Mine is only 4ft though . I had some crazy idea that I could undo the 50 mm clutch hub nut on my GSXR by putting my trusty table leg through the back wheel and standing on the scaffolding that was slipped over a giant wrench . No chance . I borrowed a big Snap-on electric impact gun in the end .

I too have borrowed a snap-on impact gun before :mrgreen:

Not for bike though it was to do the cv joint on my very old car at the time. Those bolts were not coming off until I used that gun :?

My 18 inchx1/2 inch halfords breaker bar in just fine for my 190nm torque rear axle bolt FYI. I'm sure more is better but you'll probs get away with a shorter one if needs be.

I went for the biggest Halfords pro one. 24” i think. It worked anyway.

Halfords Pro stuff is good. I once broke a socket, doing something silly to be fair, it was replaced no questions asked.

The rest of their stuff I've had for years and it's survived several car rebuilds.

I’ve got a 2’6” long 3/4” drive breaker bar & a set of adaptors to go with it, don’t know the make, but it was £15 from an autojumble & haven’t managed to break it yet, despite trying very hard !! i.e. 16 stone of Mickly jumping up & down on it while removing the gearbox sprocket nut on the Trophy.

I recently nearly twisted off the end of a 3/8 extension bar :shock: and I wasn't putting much pressure through it

I think possibly the 3/8 bit is the clue.

If it`s going to take a bit of oomph 1/2 or more I would suggest.

I can be a ham fisted twat believe me but I havent bothered my 2ft bar even with 3ft of scaffold pole added when trying to get the nuts off a mates tractor wheel.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

It twisted under maybe 90lb ft was undoing a wheel nut on a mates car and it just shear twisted at the very end where it goes in to the socket

It twisted under maybe 90lb ft was undoing a wheel nut on a mates car and it just shear twisted at the very end where it goes in to the socket

Wow fair play you are obviously a proper knuckle dragger or are in training for Britain`s strongest man LOL

Cheers

Ian

I recently nearly twisted off the end of a 3/8 extension bar :shock: and I wasn't putting much pressure through it

The 1/2 one I destroyed was made of cheese.

Do you remember the make so we can all avoid it ?

Manufacturers of crap deserve naming and shaming so we can all avoid them.

Cheers

Ian