Running a bike in ?

Halfsqot

Hey all, i have just got myself a little CB125F to learn the ways of the road before getting a bigger a bike. It came brand new with 2 miles on the clock so i was extremely excited to get out on the road and get some miles clocked up. Because im a new rider and never came to mind, but you should run an engine in ? I haven't been revving the crap out of it but taking it relatively steady on back roads. However i would come across a main road every now and then and be doing 60mph which is nearly as fast as it goes, so im guessing its doing alot of hard work.

Basically ive got just under 200 miles on it and all seems grand, but am i doing something bad for the long run ? will the engine not perform well later down the line if i don't bed it in correctly ? slightly worried! any help would be much appreciated and apologies if the question has already been asked somewhere!

Thanks Half :D

A lot of it is common sense, don't rev the crap out of it, don't hold it at constant speeds for too long, don't allow the engine to labour. As snod said, check your warranty and look at what the owners manual recommends. On some bikes they can see if run in recommendations have been adhered to by simply plugging it into a computer.

Does the owner's manual have running in specifications? And does the bike come with a warranty to worry about keeping?

Yes its got 24 month warranty. but i will hopefully get rid of it in a year to get my test passed :) running in specs said

*Avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration

*avoid hard braking and rapid down shifts

*ride conservatively

Thats all it says

Thanks

Actually that's not bad running in advice as you get more familiar with your machine you will get a feel for when its happily buzzing along at a happy medium.

Funnily enough anecdotally apparently the first thing that happens to Hondas off the production line is that someone revs the tits off them in the hope that if something is going to fail it will do it then.

Also I seem to remember experiments done with a pair of Fireblades where one was carefully run in following all the suggested limits and the other was mercilessly ragged from day one and guess which one performed best on the dyno after what I think was a year.

Now I wouldn't advocate that kind of treatment but it is food for thought.

Cheers

Ian

You will soon see if anything is amiss when the first service is done, any major metal in the oil will certainly need investigating, if it comes out clean then just crack on and ride it :lol: :thumb:

You will soon see if anything is amiss when the first service is done, any major metal in the oil will certainly need investigating, if it comes out clean then just crack on and ride it :lol: :thumb:

Thanks, do i need to send it to a proper honda dealership to keep warranty etc ? or just any old bike shop ? Thanks Cal

Thanks, do i need to send it to a proper honda dealership to keep warranty etc ? or just any old bike shop ? Thanks Cal

Warranty is like a car warranty providing the service book is stamped with a proper garage stamp I believe sporting a VAT number you will be ok.

I am sure Hondas terms and conditions are readily available online somewhere.

Cheers

Ian

mines booked in for its 600 mile first service after running it in , as said don't lug it by being in to high a gear, kept mine at no more than 6500 revs while running in , probably different for a 125... but what do I know .

Guest Richzx6r

Running my 125s in I just rode them like they were going to be ridden after the1st service aka flat out and it didn't do them any harm but back then I had 0 mechanical sympathy :twisted:

Running my 125s in I just rode them like they were going to be ridden after the1st service aka flat out and it didn't do them any harm but back then I had 0 mechanical sympathy :twisted:

Says the man who admits breaking a 1/2 inch extension bar with his bare paws lol.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Says the man who admits breaking a 1/2 inch extension bar with his bare paws lol.

Cheers

Ian

You meant bear paws didnt you 8-)

It was whilst using my torque wrench too

Cheers

Ian

Hey at least you can quote a failure figure at them lol.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers

Ian

Hey at least you can quote a failure figure at them lol.

Cheers

Ian

Well I set the torque wrench at 86lbft and it triggered and didnt budge so I kept put on the pressure till it started twisting then thought oh dear, it was a controlled shear not just going twang as I'm at full strain and skinning my face on the driveway

Mine says this

Screenshot_20200602-213654_Opera.jpg

Errrr. I have deffo been doing that. 600m service booked in.

Thats a nice bike! I can only dream :) and thanks for the info.

Im sure you have 8-) haha

I pressed a button, scrolled to the menu, selected ‘running in’ mode, and now the rev counter changes from black to orange to red to tell me if I’m doing wrong. It’ll self adjust all the way to 1000 miles. Technology, eh?

I pressed a button, scrolled to the menu, selected ‘running in’ mode, and now the rev counter changes from black to orange to red to tell me if I’m doing wrong. It’ll self adjust all the way to 1000 miles. Technology, eh?

And I bet it also records what you are doing should you lodge a warranty claim :shock:

And I bet it also records what you are doing should you lodge a warranty claim :shock:

True that. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest, but I’m happy to potter my way up to the thousand miles so it’s not really an issue to me.

True that. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest, but I’m happy to potter my way up to the thousand miles so it’s not really an issue to me.

I think I would struggle!

The little devil on my shoulder has other ideas at times!

Mine says this

Gracias. £500 down, £143 a month mate. Not horrific...

Mine says this

Gracias. £500 down, £143 a month mate. Not horrific...

Hey that's not bad at all.. will be looking into it when the test is passed. Thanks

The Running-in period instructions for my 2018 Africa Twin were very simple. over 300 miles.

So not particularly onerous,

Short and sweet... easier to type out than grab the camera and upload an image.

During the first 500km (300 miles) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycles future reliability and performance.

Avoid full-throttle and rapid acceleration.

Avoid hard braking and rapid down shifts.

Ride conservatively.

And thats it. All the owners manual has to say on the matter.

The Running-in period instructions for my 2018 Africa Twin were very simple. over 300 miles.

So not particularly onerous,

Short and sweet... easier to type out than grab the camera and upload an image.

During the first 500km (300 miles) of running, follow these guidelines to ensure your motorcycles future reliability and performance.

Avoid full-throttle and rapid acceleration.

Avoid hard braking and rapid down shifts.

Ride conservatively.

And thats it. All the owners manual has to say on the matter.

woopy do