Recycling engine oil

dynax

Having serviced Xena yesterday and it got me thinking about recycling the old oil, it's not in bad condition as oil goes and still reasonably clear, so instead of taking to the recycling centre i am thinking of other uses for it, could it be used on the chain ?, or use it to lubricate other areas of the bike like pivot points, i will use it on my hedge trimmer blades so that's another use, anyone else used the oil elsewhere :cheers: :thumb:

DON'T USE ENGINE OIL IN THE CHAIN!!!!

There are little things you can use the engine oil in. This because engine oil have several different chemicals that will destroy non-metallic parts.

I use the old engine oil as a paving slab protector. Drop a small quantity over a slab and scrub it with a hard garden broom.

It will stop moss to grow on it ;)

Use engine oil is carcinagenic. Don't use it anywhere where people will come into contact with it.

I have sometimes used it to soak wooden fence posts in to prevent them rotting. I have also used it to paint onto the rusty undersides of old cars.

But generally it goes to the recycling centre.

[mention]Mississippi Bullfrog[/mention] The older I've got the more careful I am about things like that, I always wear gloves now for the more dirty jobs on engines like oil changes and wear a mask when sanding/spraying which I never used to bother with.

I guess losing my friend and father-in-law to cancer at 56 was a wakeup call. He was a hgv mechanic all his working life, with plenty of those years before gloves etc were commonplace or even acceptable :roll:

I remember doing my motor vehicle nvq when I was 16 (never finished, I had no work ethic at that age :bang: ) so around 97,98 and the college told us to only use the gloves and barrier cream if we had a skin condition :shock:

A bit old school this, something my dad used to do and I still do it, mix old engine oil with creosote (or creocote in B&Q), paint it on the garden fence, our garden fence is 16yrs old and not a bit of rot on it, seems to do the trick just nice, I used to also mix it with LM grease and paint the chassis of my old series 2 Landy with it as well .... A real messy job though :(