Speed limit introduction

manxie49

<t>Would you still come to the island if very restrictive speed limits were introduced</t>  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still come to the island if very restrictive speed limits were introduced

• YES:
    • NO:
    • NOT SURE:

I know a lot of people who come over to the Isle of Man for the TT, FOM and Southern 100 don't purely come just to watch racing. A lot of bikers, including a lot of my friends, come over for the craic, and to be able to enjoy some of the roads free of speed restrictions, such as the mountain road, it's a great draw for a lot of bikers who spend a small fortune getting and staying here.

There has been a lot of talk recently about the introduction of an all island speed limit, 20mph in towns and villages and 40mph on all other roads.

My question is purely out of interest, and just to gauge what bikers on this forum think, but, if these limits were introduced, would you still pay to attend the aforementioned motorcycle events the Island hosts each year.

Guest Richzx6r

i'd still go to watch the racing , no point in taking your bike if you could only do 40mph

Tbf I would just stay home and watch it on the tv I know the atmosphere isn't the same but it would be cheaper and after the racing is done I could then go out on the bike and do 70....

Guest Richzx6r

A blanket 40mph seems a bit OTT :shock:

But this is the world we are living in now...... everything needs to be legislated far too restrictively so those nobs who do seriously hurt themselves are then wrapped in a law blanket

It might attract more bikers on smaller machines to visit, they could explore at a sensible pace without worrying that someone doing a ton plus could hit them from behind :thumb:

This will not be a popular viewpoint but I have never been able to understand the modern incarnation of the TT races themselves and other events on the same circuit . There is no way that any other sport that has a total of 260 fatalities would be allowed to continue under any circumstances anywhere else in the civilized world. The very sight of 200 mph Superbikes flying down roads lined with stone walls , wrought iron gates , letterboxes and spectators with nothing but the odd straw bale as protection fills me with horror and disbelief whenever I witness it . Times , and bikes, have changed beyond recognition since 1907 when the participants would stop to help each other change a tyre but the circuit remains broadly the same . So I'm sorry but I absolutely don't get it . If you're going to race modern Superbikes do it on a purpose built track . Before anyone protests , they would do well to read up on how the Manx Government has approached the Covid 19 crisis in the light of their very meagre medical resources . I suspect that any changes to the speed limit may be linked to this .

Fair comment from Fastbob. Sort of agree but not from the point of view of the speeds etc but purely from the point that I utterly loathe crowds and the thought of being penned up with hordes of other people fills me with horror. I'll walk miles to get away from a crowded space if I can and fortunately my wife thinks the same.

Fair comments from Bob, however, I am a road racing fan, and I know, from increasing numbers of visitors, that I'm not the only one, I even go over to Ireland for the NW200. Yes it is dangerous and will always be that way, speak to any of the riders though and they love it....For them its a way of life, road racing culture that a lot of them have been brought up with, so its each to their own I suppose, braver men than me. I suppose some people think I'm crazy for chucking myself of mountains with a paraglider, but you have to do it understand the draw.

I don't believe the islands accident statistics are anything to do with the push for such an OTT speed restriction, we actually have very few serious or fatal accidents outside of the TT, and even then, serious accidents among visiting fans has been on the decline for several years, its felt that this is mainly due to one way traffic on the mountain road, proactive policing and temporary speed restrictions on some of the more challenging roads around the island.

What we are seeing is an increase in people retiring and moving to the island to live, it appears some of them dislike things such as the TT and FOM, I've seen a lot of groups and discussions on social media, with people lobbying politicians for things such as, speed limits, closing down green lanes to motorised vehicles, we even have a "ban the TT" brigade, although in fairness they've gone quiet. Some of these people have the ear of local politicians, they also know that the introduction of a 40mph speed limit will kill motorcycling as it currently is, "who's going to want to buy a sports bike when you can't get it out of 3rd gear".

I have a couple of friends who come over from Germany, they've understandably said the same as Rich, they wouldn't bother coming. As for me, well I personally don't know how it would affect the island, I do know I'd sell the sports bike and just stick to green laning and off road riding, probably get an ADV bike for my trips away. I know a friend who works in a local Motorcycle dealers is worried, due to affect it could potentially have on business.

Strange really, they make all manner of machines now to go faster, cars and motorbikes, then they do everything they can to reduce speed on roads :scratch:

People retiring and moving to the island then kicking up a stink about the tt ... fook off go retire somewhere else then , its like the twits buying near airports, cause the house was cheap probably, then moaning about the noise of the planes.

We have a lot of people who retire to the country and then complain about the noise of farms (including cockerels) and the smells etc. Seem to think it's all pretty cottages with roses round the doors and forget it's a working environment.

We have a lot of people who retire to the country and then complain about the noise of farms (including cockerels) and the smells etc. Seem to think it's all pretty cottages with roses round the doors and forget it's a working environment.

Then you get those that complain about shooting, and hunting, the rural landscape is far from idyllic when you spend more than an hour or two there on a picnic :lol: :thumb:

People retiring and moving to the island then kicking up a stink about the tt ... fook off go retire somewhere else then , its like the twits buying near airports, cause the house was cheap probably, then moaning about the noise of the planes.

I actually spoke to a bloke a few months ago, retired here from London, hates the TT but bought a house right on the TT course! I mean come on, WTF, if you hate it so much, in all honesty, would you really do that!

Same happened to Mallory Park....

f**king NIMBYs bought houses at knock down prices, then complained like f**k about the noise & inconvenience, got the track restricted and rubbed their grubby piggy hands together as the house prices rose, they then shat them selves when it was suggested that the track be turned into a housing estate ... w**kers .....

Guest Richzx6r

Fair comments from Bob, however, I am a road racing fan, and I know, from increasing numbers of visitors, that I'm not the only one, I even go over to Ireland for the NW200. Yes it is dangerous and will always be that way, speak to any of the riders though and they love it....For them its a way of life, road racing culture that a lot of them have been brought up with, so its each to their own I suppose, braver men than me. I suppose some people think I'm crazy for chucking myself of mountains with a paraglider, but you have to do it understand the draw.

I don't believe the islands accident statistics are anything to do with the push for such an OTT speed restriction, we actually have very few serious or fatal accidents outside of the TT, and even then, serious accidents among visiting fans has been on the decline for several years, its felt that this is mainly due to one way traffic on the mountain road, proactive policing and temporary speed restrictions on some of the more challenging roads around the island.

What we are seeing is an increase in people retiring and moving to the island to live, it appears some of them dislike things such as the TT and FOM, I've seen a lot of groups and discussions on social media, with people lobbying politicians for things such as, speed limits, closing down green lanes to motorised vehicles, we even have a "ban the TT" brigade, although in fairness they've gone quiet. Some of these people have the ear of local politicians, they also know that the introduction of a 40mph speed limit will kill motorcycling as it currently is, "who's going to want to buy a sports bike when you can't get it out of 3rd gear".

I have a couple of friends who come over from Germany, they've understandably said the same as Rich, they wouldn't bother coming. As for me, well I personally don't know how it would affect the island, I do know I'd sell the sports bike and just stick to green laning and off road riding, probably get an ADV bike for my trips away. I know a friend who works in a local Motorcycle dealers is worried, due to affect it could potentially have on business.

Strange really, they make all manner of machines now to go faster, cars and motorbikes, then they do everything they can to reduce speed on roads :scratch:

3rd gear...... you meant 1st my ninja will do 70 odd in 1st gear alone so not sure what sports bikes your referring to

[mention]S-Westerly[/mention]

I live practically across the road from a working dairy farm. Loads of the neighbours complain about the smell at times. The farm has been there longer than any of the houses around it by a good 70/80 years :lol:

I live between farms and Oulton Park - so I get the stink of one and the noise of the other.

Personally I suspect I may have died and gone to heaven without noticing. But back to the point.....

I have never been to the IoM and to be honest can't see that I am likely ever to do so. The idea of an unrestricted speed limit puts me off. I have seen the carnage caused by riders going beyond their ability too often. But I would also be put off by a blanket 40mph limit. Surely a safer environment for everyone is possible without going from one extreme to the other? That seems rather silly.

3rd gear...... you meant 1st my ninja will do 70 odd in 1st gear alone so not sure what sports bikes your referring to

Fair point ....I was trying to be eco friendly :D

I live between farms and Oulton Park - so I get the stink of one and the noise of the other.

Personally I suspect I may have died and gone to heaven without noticing. But back to the point.....

I have never been to the IoM and to be honest can't see that I am likely ever to do so. The idea of an unrestricted speed limit puts me off. I have seen the carnage caused by riders going beyond their ability too often. But I would also be put off by a blanket 40mph limit. Surely a safer environment for everyone is possible without going from one extreme to the other? That seems rather silly.

TBF it's mainly just the mountain road that's de restricted during TT, if I didn't live here, the thing that would put me of are the rip of prices, cost of getting to the island and staying here is crazy!

Same happened to Mallory Park....

f**king NIMBYs bought houses at knock down prices, then complained like f**k about the noise & inconvenience, got the track restricted and rubbed their grubby piggy hands together as the house prices rose, they then shat them selves when it was suggested that the track be turned into a housing estate ... w**kers .....

I did a few track days at Mallory Park when I lived in Leicester, great little circuit, I wonder if you still have to dodge the pot holes?? :D

There is an RC flying field in Warwick by the race course. Been there forever. Developers built houses nearby a few years ago. Residents then complained and have got the allowed flying time reduced and if a restriction on IC planes.

There is an RC flying field in Warwick by the race course. Been there forever. Developers built houses nearby a few years ago. Residents then complained and have got the allowed flying time reduced and if a restriction on IC planes.

Like the guy who bought a house next to a church that has been there since 1300. The house sale blurb waxed lyrical about the view of the bell tower. First week in he made a complaint that he could hear the bells ringing.

TBF it's mainly just the mountain road that's de restricted during TT, if I didn't live here, the thing that would put me of are the rip of prices, cost of getting to the island and staying here is crazy!

your not wrong there .

Like the guy who bought a house next to a church that has been there since 1300. The house sale blurb waxed lyrical about the view of the bell tower. First week in he made a complaint that he could hear the bells ringing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: unbelievable