Speed limit introduction

manxie49

<t>Would you still come to the island if very restrictive speed limits were introduced</t>  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still come to the island if very restrictive speed limits were introduced

• YES:
    • NO:
    • NOT SURE:

Former tattoo parlour next door to my fish shop complained it always smelt of fish and chips when he had his door open. What did he expect when he leased the building? The chippie was there when he would of looked round before moving in, it didnt spring up overnight :roll:

The problem with speed limits are that many seem to think you have to do those speeds regardless of the type of road and conditions :roll:

Thats exactly what I said on a local forum....Just because the road may be de-restricted it doesn't mean you have to drive like a total cockwomble! Drive at a speed that is safe and sensible for both yourself and the road conditions, common sense.

This will not be a popular viewpoint but I have never been able to understand the modern incarnation of the TT races themselves and other events on the same circuit . There is no way that any other sport that has a total of 260 fatalities would be allowed to continue under any circumstances anywhere else in the civilized world. The very sight of 200 mph Superbikes flying down roads lined with stone walls , wrought iron gates , letterboxes and spectators with nothing but the odd straw bale as protection fills me with horror and disbelief whenever I witness it . Times , and bikes, have changed beyond recognition since 1907 when the participants would stop to help each other change a tyre but the circuit remains broadly the same . So I'm sorry but I absolutely don't get it . If you're going to race modern Superbikes do it on a purpose built track . Before anyone protests , they would do well to read up on how the Manx Government has approached the Covid 19 crisis in the light of their very meagre medical resources . I suspect that any changes to the speed limit may be linked to this .

I own a modern superbike and do enjoy riding it on the road and like trackdays too but I agree with you, riding around the Isle of Mann would be an amazing experience but it looks incredibly risky and it’s not something I think I’d want to do personally, same with the Nurburgring on a bike, looks far too dangerous with the lack of run off in some parts, but if people do want to do it, I’m not sure how I feel about legislating against it either.

The problem with speed limits are that many seem to think you have to do those speeds regardless of the type of road and conditions :roll:

Lo these many years ago when I did my driving test I was told that provided the weather and road conditions permitted that I should proceed at the posted limit. Taken it as gospel ever since. That said the myriad small lanes hereabouts which are NSL rarely see me exceed 40 mph - livestock, livestock's byproducts, cyclists etc can be found round any bend.

Not been because the one year I decided I would I discovered there was no way to get there as the ferries were all sold out.

I have no interest in racing. Maybe I should try Pontins instead. Is Pontins even a thing anymore?

This is very true, you should do the speed that is safe for the conditions.

At the same time it’s very hard to keep some bikes at lower limits, it’s possible to do but they absolutely hate it, my bike can’t stand town riding, it protests by running extremely hot and being jerky, if you’re going through a town centre at 20 MPH you have to pull the clutch in and coast it/slip it a bit because it wants to stall, which is probably the reason I don’t use it for commuting, driving a car,even with the traffic is more enjoyable.

At the same time it’s very hard to keep some bikes at lower limits, it’s possible to do but they absolutely hate it, my bike can’t stand town riding, it protests by running extremely hot and being jerky, if you’re going through a town centre at 20 MPH you have to pull the clutch in and coast it/slip it a bit because it wants to stall, which is probably the reason I don’t use it for commuting, driving a car,even with the traffic is more enjoyable.

In all essence you are using the wrong bike for town centre riding, big CC/BHP and slow don't really mix :lol: :thumb:

Are all the roads currently unrestricted?

No, fewer and fewer roads are now unrestricted, its mainly the mountain road, there are others but nowhere near as many as there were a few years ago

how much is a pint of carling over there these days as i havent been for five years (im missing the saddle)

Probably one of the cheapest pints on the island in there, haven't been in for a while...

In all essence you are using the wrong bike for town centre riding, big CC/BHP and slow don't really mix :lol: :thumb:

You could also make the same argument in reverse - on the open road a more powerful and larger machine is more suited than a 125, even an awesomely stupendous Chinese 125.

You could also make the same argument in reverse - on the open road a more powerful and larger machine is more suited than a 125, even an awesomely stupendous Chinese 125.

Saying that though it surprising how many people irrespective of bike size cannot do slow maneuvers, learning to slip the clutch and controlling speed with the rear brake, is or should be one of the skills that become second nature when riding a motorcycle :thumb:

Guest Richzx6r

Even on my bike it hates being ridden slowly though I am pretty good at slow speed manoeuvring as I do practice it on occasion

Even on my bike it hates being ridden slowly though I am pretty good at slow speed manoeuvring as I do practice it on occasion

Even though my little Xena is a 125 even she wants to pull, i can feel her wanting to go but have to hold her back, so it's not just big bikes that like to go faster :lol: :thumb:

When the TT first started the average speed of the bikes were under 40 mph, and it was run as time trials, big difference to how it is run today :thumb:

Very true, the original course didn't include the mountain road either, I actually have a map somewhere from the original time trial course, I think it started somewhere round about the Manx Arms in Onchan.

Guest Richzx6r

When the TT first started the average speed of the bikes were under 40 mph, and it was run as time trials, big difference to how it is run today :thumb:

Very true, the original course didn't include the mountain road either, I actually have a map somewhere from the original time trial course, I think it started somewhere round about the Manx Arms in Onchan.

I heard from someone that it was you who plotted out the first course :P

Yes, oddly enough, it started and finished at a pub :D

Guest Richzx6r

Yes, oddly enough, it started and finished at a pub :D

As every good race should

It’s not all down to big CC/BHP.

A lot depends on the relationship of torque/revs and BHP/revs. My 1250 develops a lot of torque at relatively low revs and max BHP at 9000 revs. I have no problems with low speed town driving. In fact 6th gear will go down to 35ish.

It’s not all down to big CC/BHP.

A lot depends on the relationship of torque/revs and BHP/revs. My 1250 develops a lot of torque at relatively low revs and max BHP at 9000 revs. I have no problems with low speed town driving. In fact 6th gear will go down to 35ish.

:stupid:

My 1300cc 147bhp bike only has 5 gears and in 5th I can ride at 30mph all the way to 155 if I wanted to!

I can happily potter about on it at 20mph all day long if I wanted to and the bike would be as smooth as silk 8-)