New underwear please!

Ian Frog

You have stripped the swingarm out?

So is it that that is wonky?

That's exactly what I intend to find out.

The original fittings all seem ok but when I torque up the axle everything goes stiff (but not in a nice way).

Discussing it with a few mates with solid engineering backgrounds it was decided to get the swinger (Oooh er missus) on a moto liner jig.

Then Al said why not put my old arm in as it is known straight (he went Metamachex at 9000 miles and kept it in the loft).

If his works I have the option of buying his or getting my powdercoated black one straightened.

We shall see.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

The original fittings all seem ok but when I torque up the axle everything goes stiff (but not in a nice way).

Discussing it with a few mates with solid engineering backgrounds it was decided to get the swinger (Oooh er missus) on a moto liner jig.

Then Al said why not put my old arm in as it is known straight (he went Metamachex at 9000 miles and kept it in the loft).

If his works I have the option of buying his or getting my powdercoated black one straightened.

We shall see.

Cheers

Ian

Well hope it sorts it then mate, I'd have thought the swingarm would have been stronger than that though

We shall see.

Cheers

Ian

Well hope it sorts it then mate, I'd have thought the swingarm would have been stronger than that though

Just consider for a moment.

40mph and we disconnect your spindle nut and put the rest of your axle roughly 10mm inside the swing arm.

Bike weighs at best 180Kg average rider on here (ok not going to work lol) me 82.55kg .

I think the loads would be quite considerable especially as it took at least 1/4 mile to gently slow down.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

We shall see.

Cheers

Ian

Just consider for a moment.

40mph and we disconnect your spindle nut and put the rest of your axle roughly 10mm inside the swing arm.

Bike weighs at best 180Kg average rider on here (ok not going to work lol) me 82.55kg .

I think the loads would be quite considerable especially as it took at least 1/4 mile to gently slow down.

Cheers

Ian

Bloody hell your lightweight eh :lol: but yeah I guess best part of 265kgs or so would be enough, would have been worse with me (110kg) on it :shock:

Exactly my point and some figures may have been adjusted for public consumption !

I want to explore the new swing arm first as it`s free and I have never had a problem before and I shudder to think how often this wheel has been out.

Cheers

Ian

Check the spacer between the bearings has not seized ( ie been squashed or displaced ) as this can tighten up a wheels ability to spin freely .

It should be floating slightly

Yes [mention]TimR[/mention] it is something I will check when I fit the new bearings in that wheel but it cant be the problem on the wheel I fitted that is in the picture taken when I removed the swingarm as that wheel wasnt on the bike when spindle and nut parted company and I know its ok as its the original wheel that was on the bike when I bought it.

Cheers

Ian

20200526_183450.thumb.jpg.152aa182d5e312754b907d5474cfe89e.jpg

Got home from work and picking up the swingarm generously loaned by Al at 5.30 and 2hours later I have a wheel in and torqued up to 98Nm and even allowing for the drag of rear brakes and his chain being old and dry the difference is very noticeable.

So now got to find someone with a motoliner jig and compare repair cost with persuading Al to sell this one and the cost of another visit to powder coasters.

Cheers

Ian

So its definitely the swinger that's goosed? Hopefully it doesn't set ya back too much

Yes you are right !

Funnily enough I couldn't see anything laying the 2 on the garage floor beside each other.

Several options now available !

1. Buy this arm off Al and run it.

2. As above but get it powdercoated black (looking good ).

3. Get existing arm on a jig and straightened.

4. As above and add bracing.

5. option 2 plus bracing.

Then someone emails me and says there are ZRX daeg model swingarms available ! AAARRGGHH I think my head will explode. I am sure all options will be costing me money lol.

Cheers

Ian

When I cut the chain off my swing arm and laid it on a flat surface I was able to prove with a spirit level that the chain side had been pulled vertically up and out of line.

A friend on the ZRXOC pointed me in the direction of croooober.com a breakers site and I have managed to buy a Daeg swing arm from a later model and including the shipping less than £230 so well pleased.

Cheers

Ian

20200527_181845.thumb.jpg.22e6370f1820c78c044b4d866c48b87b.jpg20200527_181828.thumb.jpg.3228038e06db9a2e8836ff9dccb2ca4b.jpg

Suprised how much it was distorted and disc side bearing thoroughly fooked lol.

Looking forward to seeing the Daeg arm and very grateful for the help and advice received and fair play to Al from the ZRXOC I fully understand why his original arm cant be sold lol.

The ZRX forum are a good bunch and we do meet up a fair bit compared to some owners groups.

Cheers Ian

Guest Richzx6r

20200604_191557.jpg20200604_191549.jpg

Not too much left to do now and wheel turns so much better now tomorrow after work chain hugger and alignment.

Cheers

Ian

Looking good mate, just dont be wrecking my tyre :thumb:

Not too much left to do now and wheel turns so much better now tomorrow after work chain hugger and alignment.

Cheers

Ian

Your tyre is on the black wheel currently hanging on the garage wall lol.

The green wheels are ones I bought second hand and got them sprayed to match the bodywork.

I am a bit OCD but try to keep everything I need to put it back to standard if I was ever to sell. (Extremely unlikely lol).

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers

Ian

Your tyre is on the black wheel currently hanging on the garage wall lol.

The green wheels are ones I bought second hand and got them sprayed to match the bodywork.

I am a bit OCD but try to keep everything I need to put it back to standard if I was ever to sell. (Extremely unlikely lol).

Cheers

Ian

Ahh that's fair enough then, what Bridgestone is it? Cant make it out from the pic.

Did you opt for a new swinger?

Your tyre is a 023R .

What I bought was a secondhand DAEG swingarm through a Japanese breaker called "Croooober" fantastic service and cheaper than anything in the UK even allowing for shipping.

The DAEG was the model from 2008 onwards with fuel injection not sold in the UK and widely thought to be a better looking arm so I am very pleased.

Oh and for what it`s worth the tyre on the green wheel is a Dunlop D207 sport and I quite like them lol.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Your tyre is a 023R .

What I bought was a secondhand DAEG swingarm through a Japanese breaker called "Croooober" fantastic service and cheaper than anything in the UK even allowing for shipping.

The DAEG was the model from 2008 onwards with fuel injection not sold in the UK and widely thought to be a better looking arm so I am very pleased.

Oh and for what it`s worth the tyre on the green wheel is a Dunlop D207 sport and I quite like them lol.

Cheers

Ian

That swinger does look good, are you keeping it silver?

Your tyre is a 023R .

Cheers

Ian

I am going to try it silver as after all that's how they were from the factory and if I decide to go black again I will do it over winter as I am getting a bit fed up of taking swingarms out and putting them in lol.

Just be happy to get out and ride it again lol.

20170528_105212.thumb.jpg.e6541aa35d90019f46563a3518955ff9.jpg

Original with my favourite can.

20180405_123008.thumb.jpg.2b38e5d14551ed2367ddf5f236a3f76c.jpg

Black powder coated arm and current exhaust.

Cheers

Ian

Guest Richzx6r

Your tyre is a 023R .

Cheers

Ian

I am going to try it silver as after all that's how they were from the factory and if I decide to go black again I will do it over winter as I am getting a bit fed up of taking swingarms out and putting them in lol.

Just be happy to get out and ride it again lol.

20170528_105212.jpg

Original with my favourite can.

20180405_123008.jpg

Black powder coated arm and current exhaust.

Cheers

Ian

Wont lie I do think it looks better in black but yeah it's a pain eh

All finished new chain rivet tool arrives and is immediately used lol.

Old rivet tool is offered elsewhere on here for a new home

Will wheel her out for a picture and hopefully that concludes this thread.

Thanks for your comments and support guys.

Right go and get lid for test ride.

Cheers Ian