What you doing this weekend?

rennie

Guest Richzx6r

Guilty as charged. They are actually a fetching red and light blue. I find it pays to distract the competition at key points in the race.

Though why are you checking out the arse of the other boater? :scratch:

You might notice there is a large white item between me and the other chap. It is called sail. I cannot see through the sail. I was actually only able to see the wake of his hull which enabled me to avoid a collision.

This is why a boat on the starboard tack has right of way. Historically the rudder on a ship was mounted on the right hand side of the hull, like a big paddle. This was the steerboard, or starboard as it became known. The helmsman could see to his right but not to his left. So a vessel on the starboard tack has right of way as the helm cannot see to the other side of the sail.

Because the rudder or steerboard was mounted on the right hand side of the ship it always had to enter a dock with the left hand side of the ship to the quay. That was originally known as the larboard side, easily confused with starboard of course, so it became known as port - ie the side of the ship that made contact when in port.

I have never done any sailing of any kind so didn't know any of that apart from the terms starboard and port side but never knew which side was which

It's also why the captain's cabin is on the starboard side so as not to disturb his well earned slumbers with the noise of cranes and stevedores back in the good old days. Sadly these days you can go alongside either way but tanker berths are pretty quiet. What's noisy are our own bloody pumps. Have been known to wear earplugs to sleep.

Come on then you Casuals! Tell us what's on the cards this weekend?

It will be riding Saturday and Sunday in temps of 25-28C for me......plus ride reports!

Don't tell me you're going to let a Welsh OAP get one over on you.......again? :lol:

I will try to get to France then Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia to Croatia,

Strictly business trip, on the bike,

Than next week if all goes ok comeback, and 14 days quarantine in uk. Welcome home.

Guest Richzx6r

Come on then you Casuals! Tell us what's on the cards this weekend?

It will be riding Saturday and Sunday in temps of 25-28C for me......plus ride reports!

Don't tell me you're going to let a Welsh OAP get one over on you.......again? :lol:

Nothing much until the new battery turns up hopefully on Monday or Tuesday then I'll fuel up and head out

Thinking of pushing my luck and riding into Wales or if not go down to Porlock in Somerset. Depends on the weather TBH as the forecast is quite shite. If I'm riding for fun which I usually am I ain't going to ride in a howling gale and pissing rain.😡

Guest Richzx6r

Going off the weather forecast for Saturday I’m declaring the weekend officially cancelled.

Agree with you there, I'm waiting for the replacement carb to arrive for the Suffolk punch lawnmower and I'll see if I can coax some life in to it

and quite possibly singing :lol:

Keep it quiet now, there's a good chap. Wouldn't want to be startling the horses.

Or worse, like a stampede of Benidormers after their karaoke fix :shock: :thumb:

You might notice there is a large white item between me and the other chap. It is called sail.

My experience of sails are they just sit there doing nothing. My Dad used to take us out and we’d sit in the middle of a lake for hours until he started shouting us knots I’d never need or talk about things I wasn’t interested in because it wasn’t about Debbie Harry.

We had wind once, the boat went up on its side and we had to lean out. That was the single time I had fun. I’ve never understood why people don’t replace those sails with a decent motor.

If you want to sail properly do it on salt water where you can quite easily scare yourself silly. If adrenaline rushes are your thing they are quite easy to get. Also cold, wet, sunburned, and financially burdened. Ask me how I know.

If you want to sail properly do it on salt water where you can quite easily scare yourself silly. If adrenaline rushes are your thing they are quite easy to get. Also cold, wet, sunburned, and financially burdened. Ask me how I know.

This is very true, but I am poor and the sea is in Wales where I am not allowed to go. Plus sailing inland becomes more of a contact sport at times which adds to the excitement.

Also the sea is full of strange men in big boats who don't get out of the way.

Also the sea is full of strange men in big boats who don't get out of the way.

So is the local canal when i used take my inflatable fishing, big wide beam barges coming straight at me :lol: :thumb:

This is it, this is the boat he used to take us sailing on. Boring AF. Never went anywhere, never did anything. You weren't even allowed to climb the mast and play in the rigging like pirates. Stupid hobby.

AFRICA-I-1.jpg.c1c8a8c248f1a6cea38986d3a1fa6b52.jpg

Replacing front fork seals.

In a somewhat primitive 'man-cave'.

More like 'man-canvas' really. :roll:

But it works...

Got a roof over my head and, more important, over my bikes' delicate parts....

Did the left one (culprit; was leaking...) yesterday... will do the right one today.

Putting on some rubber protection at the same time...

Takes my mind off the terrible weather. :lol:

8-)

Voorvork-1a.thumb.jpg.3b993c3c819bfa4eb9da33d6d4231fc3.jpg

Voorvork-1b.thumb.jpg.d2ea30e6da6bd43fca16a1d420a771cc.jpg

Voorvork-2.thumb.jpg.a09a32064ad4764ada9302413cb4d4ca.jpg

Voorvork-3.thumb.jpg.961c98bf5418b5760c091e9e9a3de0b9.jpg

Voorvork-4.thumb.jpg.de09dc7426ab714e59dc3b51be94f6a3.jpg

Edited by old-timer

Guest Richzx6r

Replacing front fork seals.

In a some what primitive 'man-cave'.

More like 'man-canvas' really. :roll:

But it works...

Got a roof over my head and, more important, over my bikes' delicate parts....

Did the left one (culprit; was leaking...) yesterday... will do the right one today.

Putting on some rubber protection at the same time...

Takes my mind off the terrible weather. :lol:

8-)

Voorvork-1a.jpg

Voorvork-1b.jpg

Voorvork-2.jpg

Voorvork-3.jpg

Voorvork-4.jpg

Christ you really do love your bike eh, but where are you putting the rubber protected object

Christ you really do love your bike eh, but where are you putting the rubber protected object

I do love my bike, but what made it a bit urgent was that the fork was leaking oil on my brake calliper.

Don't want any oil there !

And this is where the rubber goes...

Voorvork-3b.thumb.jpg.7dab47b0c00a726d9c0837c91377bd0e.jpg