Speed limit introduction

manxie49

<t>Would you still come to the island if very restrictive speed limits were introduced</t>  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still come to the island if very restrictive speed limits were introduced

• YES:
    • NO:
    • NOT SURE:

Whereas the 1200 Triumph engine gets very twitchy at low rpm, so a lot of guys switch into rain mode round town to smooth things out. I've never found it a problem though. It has 6 gears but frankly when you'd use 6th is beyond me. You'd need to be doing 90+, which on a bike like that gets pretty uncomfortable.

Round town you're definitely in either 1st or 2nd. No point going up to 3rd until you're above 40mph. The gearing is soooo long on it.

In all essence you are using the wrong bike for town centre riding, big CC/BHP and slow don't really mix :lol: :thumb:

It’s not all down to big CC/BHP.

A lot depends on the relationship of torque/revs and BHP/revs. My 1250 develops a lot of torque at relatively low revs and max BHP at 9000 revs. I have no problems with low speed town driving. In fact 6th gear will go down to 35ish.

:stupid:

My 1300cc 147bhp bike only has 5 gears and in 5th I can ride at 30mph all the way to 155 if I wanted to!

I can happily potter about on it at 20mph all day long if I wanted to and the bike would be as smooth as silk 8-)

Likewise except 6 gears. :D

30 in towns and even the mountain road is down to 40 at the moment :|

Is that a permanent restriction on the mountain road ??

No, for the past couple of months its been 40mph with no overtaking, so if you're unfortunate enough to get stuck behind someone doing 25mph you have to sit there! It's going up to 60mph in a couple of weeks and then, allegedly, returning to normal next month? Big push from a lot of people, a lot of whom appear to be elderly drivers and cyclists, who want the current restrictions to be maintained. Its certainly causing a lot of upset, I just garaged the MT and stuck with riding the green lanes, a lot of people aren't happy with motorcyclists doing that either!

30 in towns and even the mountain road is down to 40 at the moment :|

No, for the past couple of months its been 40mph with no overtaking, so if you're unfortunate enough to get stuck behind someone doing 25mph you have to sit there! It's going up to 60mph in a couple of weeks and then, allegedly, returning to normal next month? Big push from a lot of people, a lot of whom appear to be elderly drivers and cyclists, who want the current restrictions to be maintained. Its certainly causing a lot of upset, I just garaged the MT and stuck with riding the green lanes, a lot of people aren't happy with motorcyclists doing that either!

Might be time to get a moped :lol: :seeya:

:cry:

This is very true, you should do the speed that is safe for the conditions.

At the same time it’s very hard to keep some bikes at lower limits, it’s possible to do but they absolutely hate it, my bike can’t stand town riding, it protests by running extremely hot and being jerky, if you’re going through a town centre at 20 MPH you have to pull the clutch in and coast it/slip it a bit because it wants to stall, which is probably the reason I don’t use it for commuting, driving a car,even with the traffic is more enjoyable.

In all essence you are using the wrong bike for town centre riding, big CC/BHP and slow don't really mix :lol: :thumb:

It’s not all down to big CC/BHP.

A lot depends on the relationship of torque/revs and BHP/revs. My 1250 develops a lot of torque at relatively low revs and max BHP at 9000 revs. I have no problems with low speed town driving. In fact 6th gear will go down to 35ish.

It’s not to do with the engine size as much as the style of bike and how it’s set up imo, I’ve ridden an F800R in town which was great, equally a lot of other bigger more powerful bikes are too.

The issue is more with the modern superbikes, a few years ago they were designed to be good on the road, the latest ones aren’t at all, they’re designed for the track and being able to go as fast as possible around one with lights,indicators etc as an afterthought, they don’t like town riding,are very hard suspension wise and are very thirsty, saying all this they can still be brilliant on the road but only for certain types of rides, I love mine but I’m the first to say it’s definately very flawed as a daily form of transport!.

Dynax you can borrow it for some extended 30 MPH riding and some tight u turns if you like :P .

...it protests by running extremely hot and being jerky...

Me, every time I'm forced to go shopping.

:lol: I’m the same, shopping is something to be done as quickly as possible then leave, the worst is being dragged along clothes shopping by women, thankfully I learned very quickly to find an excuse, any excuse not to go when that was in the agenda.

...it protests by running extremely hot and being jerky...

:lol: I’m the same, shopping is something to be done as quickly as possible then leave, the worst is being dragged along clothes shopping by women, thankfully I learned very quickly to find an excuse, any excuse not to go when that was in the agenda.

Shops should have clocks and if you haven’t finished shopping within three minutes of entering you should be barred for life.

*I have other ideas involving spikes protruding from walls and flaming pits of lava

This will not be a popular viewpoint but I have never been able to understand the modern incarnation of the TT races themselves and other events on the same circuit . There is no way that any other sport that has a total of 260 fatalities would be allowed to continue under any circumstances anywhere else in the civilized world. The very sight of 200 mph Superbikes flying down roads lined with stone walls , wrought iron gates , letterboxes and spectators with nothing but the odd straw bale as protection fills me with horror and disbelief whenever I witness it . Times , and bikes, have changed beyond recognition since 1907 when the participants would stop to help each other change a tyre but the circuit remains broadly the same . So I'm sorry but I absolutely don't get it . If you're going to race modern Superbikes do it on a purpose built track . Before anyone protests , they would do well to read up on how the Manx Government has approached the Covid 19 crisis in the light of their very meagre medical resources . I suspect that any changes to the speed limit may be linked to this .

I think you are wrong Fastbob, your's is a very popular point of view. In my experience usually held by people whose highlight of the day is changing the TV channel. Other sports with similar figures for casualties etc. include, Rock Climbing, Hang Gliding, Bungee Jumping, Parachuting, and Diving, to name but a few. You say that times have changed since 1907. It is true that the bikes have changed, but the level of risk hasn't. Ask anyone on here what its like to ride a classic at over 40 mph. Particularly with a Tank Change, and Girder Forks. Thank goodness we are part of the civilised world. That means we can judge for ourselves the personal risk involved in enjoying our lives. (EX Rock Climber)

Shops should have clocks and if you haven’t finished shopping within three minutes of entering you should be barred for life.

*I have other ideas involving spikes protruding from walls and flaming pits of lava

There would obviously be exceptions there for important shopping trips, such as buying a new motorbike :thumb:

Can these ideas extend to:

A. People who dither in supermarkets with no one being able to get past them at the moment.

B. People who decide to do their weekly grocery shopping in a petrol station causing a queue of people who just want to pay for their fuel behind them.