Leaking fuel/petrol smell - more liquid in engine/oil bit

James in Brum

Plus how do I get spark plugs out?image.jpg

With a long reach box spanner ( tubular ) and some thin nosed pliers by the look of it . Depending on the size of plug , I may have such a spanner . What year is your bike ?

I have a set of these which are pretty well made for the price :thumb:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cht813-8-piece-metric-tubular-box-spann/

29726885-2794-49CA-A424-3945912D7CA1-large.jpg

I can do the plugs, I have a designed for it deep socket, who knew :-)

Rotate the engine by hand how?

Turn at the front sprocket?

You can do it on the starter, just be prepared for a good squirt of petrol from the spark plug hole of the leaky carb - best to stick a rag or some kitchen paper over it before you do it.

Take all the plugs out first. You can disconnect the spade connectors from the coils if you want to be extra safe.

Damn you work fast! The cylinders should be clear now. Seems like you're in good hands here so I'll just add when you're taking the bowls off the carbs make sure your screwdriver fits the screw very well. Those screws can be very tight if they haven't been off in a long time. You can round the heads very easily. If they start to round stop. If you can get a small vice grips on the head of the screw use that instead of the screwdriver to crack the screw free. The small vice grips will get them off without stripping them. That's what works for me anyway.

Don't know about the ZZR but there should be access to the Crank Nut .

I turned the engine over, it did not seem like much ‘spitted out’ but it all looks empty now. Is that that job done?

If so I shall take the carbs inside after I have taken the break callipers off :-)

Drain them first ! Before you start taking the bowls off I'll do a drawing of what the problem is very likely to be and photograph it .

Edited by fastbob

You can do it on the starter, just be prepared for a good squirt of petrol from the spark plug hole of the leaky carb - best to stick a rag or some kitchen paper over it before you do it.

Take all the plugs out first. You can disconnect the spade connectors from the coils if you want to be extra safe.

https://www.themotorbikeforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48247&p=1045842&hilit=Ullapool#p1045619

So this is a representation of the offending float valve and where the minute ( or not so minute ) particle of debris is probably lurking . The problem with this is that when you turn the carbs upside down , the particle moves ( dotted line ) back down the system where you can't see it . Consequently you check everything out , put the carbs back on , turn on the petrol and the particle flows back to where it was and the leak starts all over again . So the best way to flush it out is to remove the float and valve and blast a can of carb cleaner backwards down the system with the carbs upside down over a load of white kitchen paper so that you can see what comes out . If you are really lucky , you might spot the debris straight away just by looking down the float valve .

IMG_20200607_101249724.thumb.jpg.c0a2cad9a9635da65de8cb75644144b0.jpg

Thanks all for help and nice diagram [mention]fastbob[/mention]

I have to pause my mechaniccing for a bit.

I have the carbs off as a bank and I have taken the callipers off the front of the bike (including starting to undo the bolts hold both sides together. I need a washing up bowl dedicated to bike Maintainance and some brushes for cleaning.

I also need to work out how to separate each carb from the bank of carbs so will look at that later :-)

For now thank you for all your help. I cannot believe how much I have enjoyed myself so far. If I can get it back together again and make it work I will be as chuffed as I have possibly ever been, which is saying something because I have a career I love and a family and have done very groovy things in the mountains before :-)

Thanks all for help and nice diagram @fastbob

I have the carbs off as a bank and I have taken the callipers off the front of the bike (including starting to undo the bolts hold both sides together. I need a washing up bowl dedicated to bike Maintainance and some brushes for cleaning.

I also need to work out how to separate each carb from the bank of carbs so will look at that later :-)

For now thank you for all your help. I cannot believe how much I have enjoyed myself so far. If I can get it back together again and make it work I will be as chuffed as I have possibly ever been, which is saying something because I have a career I love and a family and have done very groovy things in the mountains before :-)

Don't seperate them ! No need . That would just create a world of unnecessary hassle .

Thanks all for help and nice diagram @fastbob

Don't seperate them ! No need . That would just create a world of unnecessary hassle .

Yeah I agree no need to do it. Haha sounds like you're enjoying yourself but don't celebrate until it's running sweet. That happiness can turn to misery if something goes wrong after all your hard work but that's all part of the fun of learning :lol:

Cool, won’t take them apart.

Reading the book and it says I need ‘carb cleaner’ solvent and compressed air.

Is this right? If so will Halfords sell what I need and how do I eat compressed air without buying a compressor?

Guest Richzx6r

Is this right? If so will Halfords sell what I need and how do I eat compressed air without buying a compressor?

Well you don't really want to eat the compressed air as that would just be wasting it, I'm sure you can buy cans of compressed air

Well you don't really want to eat the compressed air as that would just be wasting it, I'm sure you can buy cans of compressed air

Used to be able to get it from computer shops and camera shops.

Edit.

Toolstation , Amazon, screwfix. Google is your friend :thumb:

Used to be able to get it from computer shops and camera shops.

Edit.

Toolstation , Amazon, screwfix. Google is your friend :thumb:

Thanks, I did not realise you can buy cans of it :-)

has anybody ever seen those little chrome bottles of used nitrous oxide lying about there are hundreds of them in the town near us i think the local youths sniff it(perhaps it makes them laugh)

Edited by skyrider

has anybody ever seen those little chrome bottles of used nitrous oxide lying about there are hundreds of them in the town near us

There all over around here too, another craze that won't end well :roll:

:offtopic:

has anybody ever seen those little chrome bottles of used nitrous oxide lying about there are hundreds of them in the town near us

There all over around here too, another craze that won't end well :roll: