Real Spain!

I didnt do any booking just one of the drop down menus in Google

Everything is all added extras like the bike and cabin and its these that bump up the price

Ahh fair enough well I think I'll have a deeper look in to if the trip is plausible using your own bike I know doing it from Calais would be doable but would need a few days off the bike once arriving at the end destination before exploring some, I'd guess would be a 3 easy ish day ride from Calais but again its just something that I'm thinking about so watch this space

I looked in to a while back and it just wasn't worth it for me!

Everything is all added extras like the bike and cabin and its these that bump up the price

Ahh fair enough well I think I'll have a deeper look in to if the trip is plausible using your own bike I know doing it from Calais would be doable but would need a few days off the bike once arriving at the end destination before exploring some, I'd guess would be a 3 easy ish day ride from Calais but again its just something that I'm thinking about so watch this space

Often the case when you try to explore a 3rd world baron country

Often the case when you try to explore a 3rd world baron country

Wayyyyyyyyy too much riff raff that live there

Guest Richzx6r

That's fair enough

Guest Richzx6r

When we went it cost £39 on the ferry (return)

and roughly £150 fuel £150 tolls each way!

300 odd quid on tolls?? That's bloody extortionate but on the other hand the roads are better than ours.....fuel isn't that much cheaper either I don't think but right now its just something that I am thinking about

yes Dover/Calais you also have to add on 2 overnight stops each way on the bike(at least)

We did it non-stop in the car but it's a hell of a drive

and it was several years ago.

I think they've done away with some Spanish tolls now

Guest Richzx6r

yes Dover/Calais you also have to add on 2 overnight stops each way on the bike(at least)

Stops wise what you looking at Calais to maybe Bordeaux area for first stop then on to somewhere mid Spain for the second stop?

Stops wise what you looking at Calais to maybe Bordeaux area for first stop then on to somewhere mid Spain for the second stop?

When I rode to Spain in 2016 with my mate we stopped overnight at Le Mans then a small village near Bordeux. Then half a day to Jaca, crossing the border via Pau. We never touched a motorway on the way there but it rained pretty much all the way which made it a very, very, miserable ride. On the way back we did it by motorway and got to Calais in 2 days. We camped, no hotels.

So that's 4.5 days getting there and back. Taking into account petrol, toll charges on motorways, campsite costs, daily living expenses etc. it would been cheaper getting a ferry. That would be my choice next time for sure.

If you are going by ferry.. particularly if you want to use the economie. more basic ferry.. its a must to book as early as possible. in fact its best to have your dates set in stone before the end of summer of the year before (at the latest) and book with a deposit the moment the tickets become available. as they sell out in days.

I've ridden to Spain and Portugal many times. Only once did I take the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao. A couple of reasons why I would prefer not to do that again :

1. Portsmouth is a long way from home for me (Scotland)

2. The ferry crossing takes 36 hours (and the sea can be quite rough)

3. I enjoy riding down through France

The ferry crossing takes 36 hours (and the sea can be quite rough)

The economie takes 28hrs 30 mins outward. 26hrs 30 mins return. times as posted on Brittany ferries website.

I've ridden to Spain and Portugal many times. Only once did I take the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao. A couple of reasons why I would prefer not to do that again :

1. Portsmouth is a long way from home for me (Scotland)

2. The ferry crossing takes 36 hours (and the sea can be quite rough)

3. I enjoy riding down through France

I'm lucky, I live an hour from Portsmouth and only 75 minutes from the Tunnel. I like parts of France myself but if I was heading just to Spain and staying there, then I'd probably take the ferry there and back. Saying that, I always fancied taking the ferry to Spain then riding across the Pyrenees east and head upwards towards Perpignan then Millau and upwards from there through France as I did with[mention]Gerontious[/mention] in 2017.

That'll stay on the post-covid back burner I guess :?

When we went it cost £39 on the ferry (return)

and roughly £150 fuel £150 tolls each way!

300 odd quid on tolls?? That's bloody extortionate but on the other hand the roads are better than ours.....fuel isn't that much cheaper either I don't think but right now its just something that I am thinking about

That’s are really expensive, Germany gratis, Austria and Slovenia 25 euro booth for a week, that doesn’t include some tunnels and bridges

Still I think is cheaper to drive, if not cheaper than more interesting.

I hate ships for some reason. :wink:

Guest Richzx6r

I too prefer to do the travelling myself than letting someone else have all the fun, I'm all about the adventure along the way rather than the sit back and chill out type

I worked the Thurs. night! Met my mates at half 6 Friday morning at Corley services,

We stopped in Orleans first night, Perpignon second night in Formule1's (cheap and very basic)

did it in reverse on the way back.

We went to torrevieja (southern Costa Blanca)