What is this thing?

potatobroxd

Dont mind all the dust around the bike, its for cosmetic reasons.. anyway, i cleaned my air filter today and had to remove this plastic bit. Its got two really big hollow holes so I only assume its to block large foreign objects from entering the air filter? Or perhaps to create some pressure difference?

Once removed, the bike sounds different and i love it so I was wondering if I can just ride without this rubber bit? :scratch: :scratch:

20200607_150330.thumb.jpg.a45a68ed80528d882f231fac1e2639bf.jpg

20200607_150154.thumb.jpg.181893f6853598e4f528acddebfd0492.jpg

Had something similar on my CRF, mine was a raised air box intake, not sure if that's what yours is or not? I took mine off when I put a K&N filter in, changed the exhaust system and fitted an EJK fuel controller, removing the intake increased air flow (and fuel consumption), I did it to gain a few extra BHP and give it a bit more low down grunt, which was what I wanted to achieve for off roading.

If this is what it is and you do remove it, bear in mind because you're allowing more air to flow through the system it may start running lean, best way to check is pull the spark plugs and see if they have white residue on them, you may also find the bike has less power and possible starting problems, However, I've only heard of people having these issues after doing both airbox and exhaust mods, and failing to fit a fuel controller, someone more knowledgeable may be able to give better advice on this one?....Personally, unless you want to do a few extra mods to gain an increase in power to the bike I'd just leave it alone, remember if you end up doing a load of mods to inform your insurers...