Tokico 4 pot callipers, got them mostly apart.

James in Brum

Have the callipers off the bike, have split them in half. Broken a spring retaining screw (ordered replacement).

Then Mrs In Brum ran out of patience, she was doing the other. Given them a bit of a clean and now at this stage...

...BB492A02-8838-4FEF-9953-DD8D754FAF50.thumb.jpeg.48d67cfe4fb852a2a1bd2c34b67e7f45.jpegB7F83251-6192-4FCD-8099-3218764C7690.thumb.jpeg.a7b2250a9a7d8776cbcae6262b931183.jpeg5C539240-E31B-4ACC-A1F9-3CEA6A63EF47.thumb.jpeg.1069809338e3d4c48052fdce72167d15.jpeg

How do I get the pistons out? In the video on’t tube the garage mechanic used compressed air to push. They also did not seem to be solid like mine seem to be?

Does Mrs in brum know you are using her best tupperware lid? :lol:

The easiest way to get pistons out usually is when they are still attached and to use the brake lever to push them out after removing pads. I know thats a bit late for you now :cry:

Oh and that is my best Tupperware :-)

I believe that I wrote you some very detailed instructions on how to get the pistons out BEFORE splitting the callipers . 😳

I think you probably did. I ran away with myself, :-(

My apologies James it wasn't you .The way I did my 6 pots was to first crack off the bolts that hold the two halves of the callipers together then tighten them up again but not too tight . Then I pumped EVERY piston out as far as possible before I even started pulling them . To do this I took the first calliper off , removed the pads , put it back on the bike and pumped the lever until every piston was in contact with the disk . Then I took it off again and using anything that came to hand such as spanners , old pads etc , pump the pistons out as far as possible while keeping the moving ones apart so that the others can catch up . ( Hope this makes sense ) Next , put something thin between all the pistons to prevent further movement . Repeat the process for the other side . Now the messy bit . Open the bleed nipples and pump all the fluid out . Finally , split the callipers and wiggle the pistons out using Mole Grips and a piece of rubber inner tube to protect the outer surface . Worked for me .

Dont try and grab onto the pistons with pliers or similar without using a cloth in between to protect them. As much of a ball ache is it will be I would probably reassemble and put them back on bike to move pistons out before continuing.

So reassemble without the pads, reattach the break fluid Pumpy tube thing to the bango bolt. Place something between the pistons and pump.

Then take the Pumpy tube off, disassemble the callipers again. Pump all the break fluid out.

Is that right?

Is that what is in my callipers pot piston thing? Looks like a plastic end cap with a shallow cross in?

Yeah thats right

They are normally removable which will then allow you to use these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-30838-Motorcycle-Piston/dp/B00487UO1G

There is cheaper ones on amazon they also sell these in halfords

The work well

Could I use those from where I am at in the process?

Yes and this is probably now your only option unless you put them back together and bleed the brakes up to get them out or get someone with a compressor to blow them out for you

Could I use those from where I am at in the process?

You could try but if the pistons were already 3/4 of the way out it would be a lot easier .

Those end cap type thingie. What is the best way to get those out?

Honestly

I don't know! I have never had to deal with them although I am led to believe they should just pull out

Guest Richzx6r

They may be ones you screw out or they may just pull out.

Try screwing them out anti clockwise first then if they doesn't work maybe a small flathead screwdriver to prise them out

Sometimes they just fall out . Try inverting the callipers and tapping them first . After that , who knows ? Double sided tape ?

Sometimes they just fall out . Try inverting the callipers and tapping them first . After that , who knows ? Double sided tape ?

Guest Richzx6r

If you end up using compressed air ( I used a foot pump ) be careful as the piston is liable to come out like a projectile !

So aim it at family members if they are getting annoying :thumb: