Bandit brake retaining pin identify

jedibiker

Hey, I was going to strip the brakes to clean them, the pads look good but I wanted to take apart properly and saw a video about the pins needing to be replaced often. the pins on my calipers don't look like any ive seen on videos as they unbolt from the back of the caliper and the bolt is tiny (4 or 5 mm)

Anyone know where I can get these pins as ones I see online are bigger heads that bolt from the front.

cheers

103080036_345751559722824_4617523792116941481_o.thumb.jpg.cb28afd79f7c07298f07eb9d7e1391f1.jpg

20200607_212146.thumb.jpg.94b866b9741e3fd0cf9fddad6f5c04f4.jpg

I hope someone had the foresight to use some copper Slip because that's a disaster waiting to happen . Does this thing happen to have a hole through it for a split pin ? If it does then there is a possibility that it isn't actually threaded .

It does have a split pin yes. I agree for a brake system that looks fragile.

Same as on my old Tokico Six Pots which just had a rod with a hole in it for the R clip without the hex on the end , see part 6 .

I'm thinking that it is just a case of twist and pull then . What year 600 Bandit is it by the way ?

Polish_20200608_161245166.thumb.png.2c65a409aa400ff12618bf31d3ef833f.png

its a 2006 k6 650. abs model. must say ive not seen any like this on all the videos ive looked at lol. could be a twist and pull. the diagram may come in handy too thanks.

edit - mine are only 2 pot

Is that the manual for your bike? If it is that'll show you what to do. https://enduro.team/ea/images/7/77/Gsf650s_2005.pdf

You can buy OEM parts from Fowlers or you can use their site to find the part number you need and buy it somewhere else. https://fowlersparts.co.uk

thats cool il look My calipers are differnt as it happens (from other post). still trying to find the actual model. this manual looks bang on thanks

If it's the original Suzuki caliper it'll be on that Fowlers site. Click on it. On the left side click on Suzuki. Then find GSF-650 Bandit. Click on the year. Click on Front Caliper. That should be it

yep found it mate thankyou, very helpful indeed.. :thumb:

I have the complete parts manual on a CD for sale on Ebay - I had also advertised it in TMBF but no takers.

Anyhoo - The bolt and pin is a right pain - I had to drill mine and use an extractor and (a lot of) heat after soaking in WD40 for a few days.

Rebuild included new pins, bolts and COPPER SLIP!

Bleeding the system afterwards is not difficult but takes quite a bit of time.

Good luck!

8-)

I have the complete parts manual on a CD for sale on Ebay - I had also advertised it in TMBF but no takers.

Anyhoo - The bolt and pin is a right pain - I had to drill mine and use an extractor and (a lot of) heat after soaking in WD40 for a few days.

Rebuild included new pins, bolts and COPPER SLIP!

Bleeding the system afterwards is not difficult but takes quite a bit of time.

Good luck!

8-)

I'm new so won't have seen it. I put a socket on the pins and they move freely so I'm lucky someone did grease them. Still not removed so could have issues yet lol