Austrian Alps september 2020

Gerontious

I dont think there are any quarantine restrictions going to or coming back from France by rail or ferry, not sure where you would stand on the warning against travel still in place by UK gov though.

There aren't. but as of now there is still a lockdown.. even though its been relaxed somewhat. there is a distance limitation. And crossing either into belgium. luxembourg or germany are not straightforward. and definitely not for leisure purposes. yet. thats the big step im waiting for.

You might want to keep an eye on The FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) website. They are still advising against all foreign travel, this could change by the time you travel. Any travel insurance would be void if you travel against FCO advice.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/foreign-commonwealth-office

You might want to keep an eye on The FCO (Foreign and Commonwealth Office) website. They are still advising against all foreign travel, this could change by the time you travel. Any travel insurance would be void if you travel against FCO advice.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/foreign-commonwealth-office

Indeed. That was one of the 4 conditions for travel, I laid out back in March. https://tinyurl.com/ycpda3dk

Yeah, for a laugh I tried to see how much travel insurance would be... No quotes available. 8-)

I suppose closer to date if everything is tickety boo (ish) then I'll be able to get a policy 5mins before setting off as usual.

Another baby step in the right direction and a bit of a surprise this one, I wasn't expecting much if anything to be announced until well into June. It doesn't affect us until we're allowed back into France... But when we are...

Apparently.

The borders between Switzerland, Austria, Germany and France will reopen on 15 June.

Nothing more than that, but if it follows the pattern.. There will be checks to start with and then any official "presence" removed after a couple of weeks. Together with the easing of those countries lockdowns... Which has already started.

So... My hope is that by the time we come to travel. We will be allowed back into France. Campsites will have reopened and we can ride down to the German border and on to Austria without any problems. Following my very original plan. Via Epernay, The Vosges and Southern Black Forest. And then join the German Alpine Road to Zell am See and the Grossglockner.

No word about Italy, but that's hardly surprising. If we can then that's a bonus. But if not... There's plenty to keep us busy in Austria. And petrol 91c. (Today)

We have 15 more weeks of waiting and seeing. What next?

More changes. Nice ones.

Black Forest campsites are reopening from tomorrow, 18th May. in a fairly limited way for the rest of this month while they suss out how things are going to work. re. social distancing. and so on.

Same goes for Bavaria.. but that state is allowing reopening to begin on the 30th May.

29th May. Campsites in Austria are reopening. Or at least the campsite i have earmarked for us at Zell am See is reopening.

So.. we just have to get there...

• 4 weeks later...

@Gerontious I might as well post this here too as might affect your routes if you manage to go :thumb:

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/banning-motorcycles-in-tirol/

Ive already seen that and it doesn't affect us. (we're all completely legal) My routes to and fro did not go near that area anyway.

A local has already followed up with this post.

The Tirol in Austria are introducing a seasonal ban from 10.06 - 31.10.2020 on just 4 roads in a small area of The Tirol. The primary road is the Lechtalstrasse which quite frankly is used as a race track. 3 other roads that feed in to it are The Berwang-Namlosser- Strasse, The Hahntennjoch and one other that escapes me but which is not a major pass.

The ban applies to motorcycles with a standing dB reading of 96db and over. Your reg doc may well show it.

Well over 3000 bikes some days on these roads have had a detrimental effect on residents quality of life.

Contrary to what some people are claiming, this does not apply to anywhere else in Austria where normal EU regulations apply regarding exhausts.

Loud pipes will destroy biking though

Assuming we go, and its on a bit of a knife edge right now.. we will be heading directly for Zell am See and the Grossglockner. The only reason to be at that end is for passes into Italy and the Stelvio. both of which I have now written off. Even if the borders into Italy are open. we will not be crossing. No great loss.

Edited by Gerontious

More changes. Nice ones.

Black Forest campsites are reopening from tomorrow, 18th May. in a fairly limited way for the rest of this month while they suss out how things are going to work. re. social distancing. and so on.

Same goes for Bavaria.. but that state is allowing reopening to begin on the 30th May.

29th May. Campsites in Austria are reopening. Or at least the campsite i have earmarked for us at Zell am See is reopening.

So.. we just have to get there...

Really excited about this trip , cant wait to meet every one.

I'm hoping it comes off and we get to see a trip report - with pictures of course .....

This latest bright idea from the government of making all returnees and visitors undergo a 14 day quarantine may have brought all our plans to a crashing halt. but, there is still plenty of time for a reversal. We don't need to make a final decision untll the start of August. And we already have the beginnings of a Plan B ready to roll out. for 'just in case'. Im still quite optimistic. because very soon the pressure on the government will begin to mount, its already started. From the airlines and soon from the travel industry and ferry companies all desperate to claw-back some business for this year. That.... plus all the destination countries (aside from greece - right now) opening up and hoping for british holiday makers. Well... one can hope. we have at least 8 weeks left before a final decision has to be made.

I'm hoping it comes off and we get to see a trip report - with pictures of course .....

This latest bright idea from the government of making all returnees and visitors undergo a 14 day quarantine may have brought all our plans to a crashing halt. but, there is still plenty of time for a reversal. We don't need to make a final decision untll the start of August. And we already have the beginnings of a Plan B ready to roll out. for 'just in case'. Im still quite optimistic. because very soon the pressure on the government will begin to mount, its already started. From the airlines and soon from the travel industry and ferry companies all desperate to claw-back some business for this year. That.... plus all the destination countries (aside from greece - right now) opening up and hoping for british holiday makers. Well... one can hope. we have at least 8 weeks left before a final decision has to be made.

im sure we'll be fine .

I'll wait to hear mate.

I will have to undergo 14 days as I am returning on 18.06. But probably will have to go back to ship immediately after that quarantine and have to be quarantined on the ship for 14 days, so lot of quarantine for me.

I believe they will give up by then, this is economic and political decisions to stop people going abroad spending money. This way Mahoney will be spent in the country. Other day I went to bank to get travel money, euros and usd, they don’t do it at the moment. Went to post office to get some , same story, no travel money in the country. Retarded

Just noticed this on the eurotunnel.com site:

So that you can book with confidence, our standard tickets booked between the 1st and 15th of June for travel before 15th September 2020 are now refundable

Might be a good time to get your tickets now.

Just noticed this on the eurotunnel.com site:

So that you can book with confidence, our standard tickets booked between the 1st and 15th of June for travel before 15th September 2020 are now refundable

Might be a good time to get your tickets now.

Booked cheers matey :cheers:

75 days to go... doesn't time fly when you're in an enforced limbo?

And there have been some major developments. Once (if) we actually cross to France, then its plain sailing. everything that we need is available to us. France from today is allowing all EU nationals AND UK citizens to enter unrestricted. Thats a fairly big deal.. gone is the idea of a tit-for-tat 14 day quarantine, so as of now its just the UK with that... and once that starts to sink in.. get the popcorn ready.

So, the plan was to start the trip in a very lazy way. Meeting up at Ashford on the Friday night, a last night for a while in a proper bed. we were hoping for a group meal at the Beefeater. (maybe-maybe not), And then the next day, a lazy morning, for me that might mean nipping over to the Sainsbury and stock up on supplies, emergency food rations (just in case) and some drinks. Then head for the Tunnel at about 11 to check-in.

See how it goes, the Tunnel have changed the 'rules' and so there is a lot more flexibility on boarding times, turn up and go as and when it suits.

Once on the other side we have a 170 mile motorway dash to Rheims, with a lunch stop, followed by another 12 miles to our first stop at Epernay. I've stayed there twice now so know what to expect. There is a great kebab restaurant an easy walk from the campsite, which is open. There is also a really nice bar Le Red Fish. (glug-glug)

on the Sunday morning...an early start and then its a ride, southeast to the Southern Vosges.. if I can get the guys motivated so we have time, we will go over the top. or if not, there is a tunnel that saves a lot of time. then on to the border at the Rhine and into the Black Forest. Hopefully.. Monday will have good weather... or at least be dry. and we will ride the B500. but, you can never tell with the BF what the weather is going to be like as it creates its own weather.

So, thats the plan for the first weekend... and effectively there are only two things stopping us. The 14 day quarantine for (almost) all returnees and visitors to the UK. And its impossible right now to get travel insurance.

I was a bit deflated when the 14 day quarantine was announced. it was a positive thing that they put it on a 21 day review. But now, with all the developments across the channel.. in France and especially in Spain. I think there will be a change. The airlines and especially the Ferry companies are expecting it. so... its still a matter of waiting and watching.

We have time enough for things to change. 7/8 weeks before we reach the point where it might be best to forget about the Alps and concentrate on our Plan "B".

Well, it looks like my optimism and patience has paid off.

The BBC is saying that an announcement is coming about non essential travel to France, on June 29th when the current 14 day quarantine is up for review.

There has been some talk, over the past few weeks about so-called "corridors" and that's been mostly about flights, but apparently this will go further as they mention cars. So that means the ferries and tunnel. Well, that's my assumption, anyway.

We'll see.

#feeling positive.

:cheers:

I don’t know, but other day french main man said on tv that quarantine for British citizens who are not just transit France will stay as long uk has quarantine for Eu citizens coming into the uk.

It was just 2-3 days ago.

I am f...ed now with quarantine, and as soon this 14 days are over will have to go back to ship for another 14 days restrained in the cabin.

Hope at least uk will change that requirement.

All over the Europe, at least on the motorways all people are required to wear face masks in the shops.

Here in uk not so much.

But also in Croatia that is now open for tourists no masks and no social distancing at all.

Looks like call for disaster

Well, it looks like my optimism and patience has paid off.

The BBC is saying that an announcement is coming about non essential travel to France, on June 29th when the current 14 day quarantine is up for review.

There has been some talk, over the past few weeks about so-called "corridors" and that's been mostly about flights, but apparently this will go further as they mention cars. So that means the ferries and tunnel. Well, that's my assumption, anyway.

We'll see.

#feeling positive.

:cheers:

I really hope all will flat out by September, hope to se some good ride report with some pics, :cheers:

Macron was here on Thursday and it was reported in the press that he was expected to lobby the UK government to relax the 14 day quarantine. France did have a similar thing set up... But that was overturned very recently. The French seem keen to salvage something from this holiday season, which is almost upon us. And UK holiday makers, second home owners and the like are very important to them.

The BBC story does mention some restrictions, but none seem insurmountable and anyway, we have another 10 weeks before we are due to cross. So who knows what the situation wil be by then? There may be a reversal, in which case we will switch to our Plan B. But as of today, I'm feeling very positive and upbeat.

I've also discovered that Austria is demanding that all visitors have a recent negative test result. I'm sure we can sort that out. But if not... We will stay on the German side of the border and... Perhaps have a few extra days in the Black Forest before heading for Bavaria. Bavaria and the mountains that border the Czech Republic was from the start, our fall-back destination, though back in January, when I suggested it. I thought we might go there due to bad weather in the Alps. That was then, this is now.

See how it goes, but... I think it's time to get cracking with routes for our daily rides. And I think I might include Slovenia, if the weather forces us further south. I've stayed at Bled before, several years ago and would love to go back and explore more thoroughly the Julian Alps.

Whoop.