CBF600 2006 turning over but not starting - help requested

dfligs

Hi all, I have been having trouble starting my Honda CBF600 2006 for the last couple of months and have tried a whole host of fixes to resolve this issue to no avail. Therefore, I have come to you to see if anyone can provide any suggestions for a fix.

Problem – Bike turns over but does not start (Note: I have had it starting once or twice using starter spray however as of today even that does not work and it dies after a few seconds)

Symptom – Bike doesn’t start and I also noticed I can’t hear any noise that would indicate fuel priming (i.e. a click or a whirring noise)

What I’ve Tried:

1. Ensured the battery is fully charged

2. Changed fuel

3. Cleaned spark plugs and checked they spark when rested against the body

4. Removed air filter and sprayed starter fluid directly into the throttle body/carbs (with and without the fuel tank on)

5. There is a pink cable going into the ECM that I think is from the ignition switch, I was not reading the expected 9V on this and so I cut the cable and fed 9V directly into the ECU to bypass the Zener diode – hopefully someone can tell me if I had the right cable for this

6. Checked all fuses for burn out and continuity

Things I would like to check:(Not tried these yet but they are other things I'm considering)

1. Angle tilt sensor – Couldn’t locate this behind the dials – also couldn’t get the ignition switch off because a screw was threaded

2. Clogged carbs – big job taking the carb off and cleaning so haven’t got round to it yet

3. Fuel pump activates when manually applying 12V – Think I found it but couldn’t see any wires going into it to apply 12V to

4. Starter relay switch – assumed this was working as engine is turning over

5. Engine stop switch – same as above

6. Clutch switch – same as above

7. Side stand switch – same as above

8. Bad ground/earth going into the yellow connector – unable to find

9. Fuel cut relay – not got round to this

Notes:

• Headlight is working

Thanks in advanced.

Edited by dfligs

What happens when you run the fuel pump manually while trying to start it?

My post maybe wasn't that clear (have updated). The second list are areas for the future from my research that I either haven't had time or don't have the know how.

With the fuel pump I think I found it but I couldn't see any wires coming out of it. I'm guessing I will need to completely take it off to access the wires to power it on. I could only see a tube going into the throttle body/carb.

Any advice on locating it or the cables to power it?

You have to be very careful shorting power straight to things especially the ECM. If you get the wire wrong you could blow it. There's no real need to do that. Have you got the Honda workshop manual with the wiring diagrams? That would help us diagnose the problem.

In my experience a carb bike will run without the pump if you hook up an external fuel source and feed it straight into the carb. You could try doing that and see if it starts.

You have to be very careful shorting power straight to things especially the ECM. If you get the wire wrong you could blow it. There's no real need to do that. Have you got the Honda workshop manual with the wiring diagrams? That would help us diagnose the problem.

In my experience a carb bike will run without the pump if you hook up an external fuel source and feed it straight into the carb. You could try doing that and see if it starts.

True, lets hope I haven't blown it. :x I did it to try and test if it was indeed the zener diode that had blown in the ignition switch and this was a work around I'd seen online.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram for this bike. The ECU has a single connector and all the ones I can find have 2 connectors.

Shouldn't the bike start with just the starter spray alone?

A friend of mine believes that this bike has a throttle body and not a carb, don't know if that matters to your suggestion. So your saying take the tube going into the carb from the pump and gravity feed fuel into it from a container of some sort?

No offense but if you can't tell the difference between a carb and fuel injection you should probably bring it to a mechanic

Ha no offence taken, I'm an engineer and so hands on with this sort of stuff and it usually works out well. Only learn by trying and learning. I don't think i need to know the difference to have tried the things I've tried so far. After a quick bit of reading I can confirm it is a carb.

If you have checked it has a spark and it won't fire up with easy start it sounds to me like a compression problem :?

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try and drain the carbs first, let them fill and see if that helps. As well as inspecting what comes out.

If that doesn't work I'll look at getting a compression tester and see what we're working with.

Guest Richzx6r

If you have checked it has a spark and it won't fire up with easy start it sounds to me like a compression problem :?

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try and drain the carbs first, let them fill and see if that helps. As well as inspecting what comes out.

If that doesn't work I'll look at getting a compression tester and see what we're working with.

Failing a compression tester just use a finger to get a rough idea of if you have a compression problem

I'd start by checking for spark first just in case your testing has done something to stop it sparking. As tiggie said if you've got spark and you spray starting fluid into the engine you should get some signs of life. If you're not getting anything you could have lost spark

To find out exactly what model you've got you could put your vin number into this parts site and it'll tell you https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/

There's the different models https://bikeswiki.com/Honda_CB600_Hornet

I had a look for a pdf copy of the workshop manual but I can't find any. But there are factory workshop manuals and Haynes manuals for sale on ebay. A factory manual would be worth the investment if you're going to work on the bike yourself

Does the exhaust smell of fuel?

I struggle to believe you've lost compression on all four cylinders, I'd be looking to the ignition especially if you've been chopping the wires about.

OK update time and fortunately it is good news.

We checked the spark plugs and gave them a clean and at the same time we noticed that spark plug 3 and 4 were the wrong way round (strange that it ever run like this). So of course we corrected this.

We then drained the carbs and the fuel looked good except for being more yellow than new petrol we had recently bought and to me it seemed slightly oily to touch. Therefore we are suspecting that maybe diesel was put in incorrectly at some point.

After a hefty amount of cranking with breaks to not destroy the starter motor it burst into life and is now running perfectly.

Thanks for everyones help in solving this issue,

Oh and we checked the compression and that seemed to be OK as well.

I'm assuming the order of the spark plugs is extremely important. Do you expect the engine to be able to start at all if for example 3 and 4 were mixed around? (out of interest)

Yes the order of the spark plugs is very important. If you had 3 and 4 the wrong way around the bike would only be running on cylinder 1 and 2. It might start or it might not but if it did start it would run terribly. Goes to show you have to rule out the simple things first.