675 Street triple running funny

geofferz

My mate's bike started making this noise. I don't think it moves. It's booked into the garage next Wednesday but I don't suppose anyone happens to know a quick and easy fix?!

Guest Richzx6r

There is a hint of mechanical to it but I think it sounds exhausty quite alot too, but as has been said previously it's very difficult to diagnose a video

Guest Richzx6r

I agree with Stu doesn't sound good. Has a bit of a metal on metal sound. The phone could be picking up the sound coming from the can

Could well be, maybe a top end rebuild on the cards eh

I agree with Stu doesn't sound good. Has a bit of a metal on metal sound. The phone could be picking up the sound coming from the can

Don't know. Guess you'd have to open it up and have a look at it. If it was a valve problem would it still idle like it was in the video? Don't think so. Could it be a cam chain tensioner failure and the noise is a mad loose cam chain? That's just a wild guess

Guest Richzx6r

Don't know. Guess you'd have to open it up and have a look at it. If it was a valve problem would it still idle like it was in the video? Don't think so. Could it be a cam chain tensioner failure and the noise is a mad loose cam chain? That's just a wild guess

But if the cam chain was goosed then it wouldnt run at all because the timing would be that far out within a few revolutions of the engine that it would have cut out there and then and in a big way so if it is mechanical its more likely to be bottom end with oil starvation or a tappet/lifter/bent valve problem top end

I must admit it does sound very tappety

If it is oil starvation it could easily wear the cam lobes and rockers etc

@geofferz Has he checked the oil level?

There is a history of these drinking oil then the engine blowing up :shock:

Did a quick google search there and you're right. There's lots of examples of engine blowing up. Doesn't make for good reading

Guest Richzx6r

Did a quick google search there and you're right. There's lots of examples of engine blowing up. Doesn't make for good reading

In that case if it's not been checked would that be a warranty void? :scratch:

Guest Richzx6r

My mate's bike started making this noise. I don't think it moves. It's booked into the garage next Wednesday but I don't suppose anyone happens to know a quick and easy fix?!

What can is he running on it?

Yeah I saw one with 4200 miles on the clock and it had blown up!

Guest Richzx6r

:shock: that's ludicrous, why would they sell it with an engine that uses so much oil surely triumph should have ironed that out in testing.....and I thought that british bikes were just mean to leak the oil from various gaskets/seals rather than eat it

That's shocking. You'd think they would have to give a refund if it only lasted 4200 miles.

:shock: that's ludicrous, why would they sell it with an engine that uses so much oil surely triumph should have ironed that out in testing.....and I thought that british bikes were just mean to leak the oil from various gaskets/seals rather than eat it

I heard the CBR1000 burned some ridiculous amount of oil and Honda said it was normal so it does happen

That's shocking. You'd think they would have to give a refund if it only lasted 4200 miles.

Yeah I would expect a new engine at the very least and a bike to ride while its in

I heard the CBR1000 burned some ridiculous amount of oil and Honda said it was normal so it does happen

Yeah they claimed 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles was OK :shock:

Yeah they claimed 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles was OK :shock:

If you went for a weekend away you'd have to bring a litre or two with you :lol: The R1 had a lot of problems too. https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-yamaha-s-massive-r1-recall-is-an-opportunity-in-disguise I think BMW have had problems too.