675 Street triple running funny

geofferz

I heard the CBR1000 burned some ridiculous amount of oil and Honda said it was normal so it does happen

Yeah they claimed 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles was OK :shock:

If you went for a weekend away you'd have to bring a litre or two with you :lol: The R1 had a lot of problems too. https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-yamaha-s-massive-r1-recall-is-an-opportunity-in-disguise I think BMW have had problems too.

Yeah I was thinking the same!

Although a mate had the CBR and it never used oil :?

Guest Richzx6r

:shock: holy shite....1L per 1000 miles that is crazy, my 03 plate zx6 doesn't use any or if it does its negligible amounts.

As said earlier though about the warranty if the owner hasn't kept an eye on the oil level they would say it had failed due to operator/owner negligence and as such is void of any warranty?

Yeah they claimed 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles was OK :shock:

If you went for a weekend away you'd have to bring a litre or two with you :lol: The R1 had a lot of problems too. https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/how-yamaha-s-massive-r1-recall-is-an-opportunity-in-disguise I think BMW have had problems too.

Maybe they sorted the problem on later ones? Or he just got lucky. You really have to do your research before you buy anything nowadays. There was a thread on here about the new Honda Rebel. They wanted the valve clearance checked at 600km and every 6000km after that. What??? Something not right there

Maybe they sorted the problem on later ones? Or he just got lucky. You really have to do your research before you buy anything nowadays. There was a thread on here about the new Honda Rebel. They wanted the valve clearance checked at 600km and every 6000km after that. What??? Something not right there

I think he just got lucky to be honest with you

600 and 6000 :shock: thats a piss take!

Anyway lets not take over this thread too much :lol:

:shock: holy shite....1L per 1000 miles that is crazy, my 03 plate zx6 doesn't use any or if it does its negligible amounts.

As said earlier though about the warranty if the owner hasn't kept an eye on the oil level they would say it had failed due to operator/owner negligence and as such is void of any warranty?

Yeah they might try to weasel out of it. But if you followed their maintenance schedule and changed the oil when they told you to I don't see how they could claim negligence.

Guest Richzx6r

It states normally that you have to do daily oil checks before starting a ride but it's just speculation that the owner may more may not have done so for a prolonged period for it to get to this stage of destruction

Guest Richzx6r

My 125 Intruder once went through half of its oil to travel the 160 miles to the rally one year :shock:

Probably due to it being forced to run flat out (65mph) all the way :lol:

My eliminator 125 was too run flat out literally everywhere but I never had the problem of it running through all/half of its oil capacity

Cheers chaps - I'll tell him to check the oil. Presumably the light would have come on? Like on all bikes?

My mate's bike started making this noise. I don't think it moves. It's booked into the garage next Wednesday but I don't suppose anyone happens to know a quick and easy fix?!

What can is he running on it?

Scorpion with no baffle - it's loud af.

Check the downpipes where the link pipes are

( The tubes that go horizontal) they are prone to cracking

This can cause the ecu to go into limp mode and finally fail to start .

Thanks - will do!

Check the downpipes where the link pipes are

( The tubes that go horizontal) they are prone to cracking

This can cause the ecu to go into limp mode and finally fail to start .

That's what I thought.

Guest Richzx6r

Cheers chaps - I'll tell him to check the oil. Presumably the light would have come on? Like on all bikes?

My mate's bike started making this noise. I don't think it moves. It's booked into the garage next Wednesday but I don't suppose anyone happens to know a quick and easy fix?!

What can is he running on it?

Scorpion with no baffle - it's loud af.

Would definitely have thought so, though I think the light warms more of low oil pressure rather than level.

Yeah that exhaust does sound rather loud but bet it sounds good with it being a 3 cyl

sound like a loose spark plug.

So you think the bike wants to be a twin cyl then

ive had that on cars in the past , loose plug ,sounds like engine is fooked.

The trouble with video is that it pics up noises you can't always hear when stood next to the bike! And some are more pronounced.

[mention]TimR[/mention] could be on to something with the limp mode but how would it know when the problem was fixed and allow it to start!

I had a loose plug once and it sounded very similar to an exhaust issue. Then it blew out completely and that was interesting.

Some engines can use oil if exhaust back pressure is reduced. I know the humble VanVan will drink oil on some none standard exhaust systems.

Be interested to hear what the outcome of this is.

The trouble with video is that it pics up noises you can't always hear when stood next to the bike! And some are more pronounced.

@TimR could be on to something with the limp mode but how would it know when the problem was fixed and allow it to start!

I also think [mention]TimR[/mention] is onto something and I would think once fixed there would need to be a reset.

I presume there is some kind of sensor in the exhaust that is sensitive to the mixture ?

Cheers

Ian

Another golden rule with triumph 3 cyls always have a good battery in use as a low voltage may spin the bike but can ruin the sprag clutch and they be a pain and genuine triumph are expensive .

Some will reset after ' battery reset'

( Disconnect battery for 15-30 minutes )

Check that the exhaust control valve is not seized

Turn bike on let it whirr and do its thing

Clutch in and engage starter .

Exhaust sensor will try to richen ( adds more fuel to the air ) the engine because it believes the readings its getting due to the leak are lean ( more air than fuel ) .