Now fully licensed, bought bigger bike, what basic maintenance should I do?

Ms_G

Or you could fit something like a Scott Oiler.

Cheaper options also available, automatic chain lubrication. None of them are fit and forget but they do improve life of chain.

Chain maintenance is something that people can be strongly opinionated about. Make sure you lube it and clean it occasionally with time you will find your own way.

ACF50 anti corrosion spray is almost universally worshipped on here. As always there are other options.

TPRS I knew they existed but I had not paid much attention. Something I might invest in simply because I am not very good at checking tyre pressures.

Congratulations on your new bike.

I’m not going to give you any advise on bike maintenance as it looks like you’ve been given enough to make your head spin. :lol:

I noticed you mentioned about your left hand getting a workout on your 125.

The bit of advise I want to give is to learn how to change up through the gears without using the clutch.

From a stand still. Move off normally and then apply pressure to the gear lever. When it’s time to change to second gear, roll off the throttle enough to take the load off the engine and the gear will snick up. Apply throttle as normal.

Rinse and repeat each time you want to move up the box.

This saves your hand/arm from a lot of stress especially in town.

It will not damage your clutch or gear box.

Happy riding.

Guest Richzx6r

I’m not going to give you any advise on bike maintenance as it looks like you’ve been given enough to make your head spin. :lol:

The bit of advise I want to give is to learn how to change up through the gears without using the clutch.

From a stand still. Move off normally and then apply pressure to the gear lever. When it’s time to change to second gear, roll off the throttle enough to take the load off the engine and the gear will snick up. Apply throttle as normal.

Happy riding.

Whilst I fully agree with what you say here 1st to 2nd can be abit of a jump so I always use clutch 1st to 2nd then clutchless 2nd-6th for me it just smooths out the big jump :thumb:

Happy riding.

Whilst I fully agree with what you say here 1st to 2nd can be abit of a jump so I always use clutch 1st to 2nd then clutchless 2nd-6th for me it just smooths out the big jump :thumb:

Totally agree with [mention]Richzx6r[/mention] and I would add even under high stresses on drag strips most people clutch between first and second then clutchless all the way up it saves dropping into neutral and revving the tits off it.

Bad for engine and image imho.

Cheers

Ian

Happy riding.

Aaaah ok, I always thought full grab was needed with each gear change hence why aching hand/wrist huh? lol

I do recall once sat in neutral at lights [these ones I knew took ages to change] and accidentally tapped my left foot down on gear lever and it popped in to first and stalled - shit myself :)

I didn't know the gears would go up without the clutch, so will give it a go - thanks for advice :)

Happy riding.

Aaaah ok, I always thought full grab was needed with each gear change hence why aching hand/wrist huh? lol

I do recall once sat in neutral at lights [these ones I knew took ages to change] and accidentally tapped my left foot down on gear lever and it popped in to first and stalled - shit myself :)

I didn't know the gears would go up without the clutch, so will give it a go - thanks for advice :)

Hi There just throttle off as normal and it should just snick in to the next gear without having to use the clutch.

Should become second nature very easily.

Cheers

Ian

You’re welcome.

You’ll be a whizz at clutch less gear changing in no time.

You can actually change down the gear box without the clutch, but it’s a hell of a lot trickier as the engine is under load. You are more likely to do damage to the box, so leave going down alone. Unless one day you own a bike with a quick shifter.

A lot of sports bikes are getting these added as standard nowadays. Maybe it will filter down to all bikes one day?

Let us know how you get on.

You’re welcome.

You’ll be a whizz at clutch less gear changing in no time.

You can actually change down the gear box without the clutch, but it’s a hell of a lot trickier as the engine is under load. You are more likely to do damage to the box, so leave going down alone. Unless one day you own a bike with a quick shifter.

A lot of sports bikes are getting these added as standard nowadays. Maybe it will filter down to all bikes one day?

Let us know how you get on.

I'll definitely give it a go :)

Yeah I read it. He had a moped and a 125 for a year and now he's getting a brand new Honda Rebel. In my opinion he shouldn't be learning clutchless shifting on a brand new bike that's not even broke in yet. Just a bit of mechanical sympathy.

My personal opinion based only on my experience and what I have heard in various paddocks from circuit racing, drag racing and now top speed trials over the last 40 years has been done at the right revs almost everyone uses clutchless 2nd upwards.

I don't know for certain if it`s better but I have raced and ridden with many people who have far more experience than I some who rebuilt their own and others engines and gearboxes so I am confident that it`s ok or possibly better.

Cheers

Ian

I wonder if @Ms_G is in fact not a him?

Question for the others is it better to clutchless change then? None of you have told me this before?!

Definitely not a dude ;) And thanks for noticing lol

If he's a fairly new rider and he's on a brand new 0 miles bike I don't think he should be doing clutchless shifting.

Why??

Did you actually take the time read the OP?

Um yes, I mean 3 years aint a lifetime of riding but I have been on my geared 125 almost everyday in London so not completely unconfident on the gears - I'll give the clutchless shifting a go and if it doesn't feel comfortable or safe, I'll just not do it but I do really appreciate all tips from more experienced riders, that's what I'm here for :)

Also definitely not a dude lol [for the other poster] :)

I mean 3 years aint a lifetime of riding but I have been on my geared 125 almost everyday in London

Surviving that long in London I am sure you will be fine, probably riding more than many in here.

If you still have your 125 you can do clutchless changes in that to....

You could ask the mechanic when you're picking it up if you should use the clutch or not. Personally I'd play it safe during the break in and use it but that's just my opinion. Sorry that I didn't see that you're female. I don't really pay any attention to the names :mrgreen:

I mean 3 years aint a lifetime of riding but I have been on my geared 125 almost everyday in London

Surviving that long in London I am sure you will be fine, probably riding more than many in here.

If you still have your 125 you can do clutchless changes in that to....

Good suggestion [mention]onesea[/mention] if the lady has still got access to the 125 practice on that !

I must confess I don`t suddenly go back to using the clutch when I buy a new bike (when I say new I mean new new lol).

Cheers

Ian

I must confess I don`t suddenly go back to using the clutch when I buy a new bike (when I say new I mean new new lol).

Cheers

Ian

I've not used the clutch on 2 brand bikes either. No problems.

When I was new to biking someone told me about clutchless upshifting and it is one of the best bits of advise I've been given. I always pass this on given the oportunity.

The next best bit of advise was to take the slack out of the throttle cable. Both from the same person.

Improved my bike control immediately.

Cheers

Ian

I've not used the clutch on 2 brand bikes either. No problems.

When I was new to biking someone told me about clutchless upshifting and it is one of the best bits of advise I've been given. I always pass this on given the oportunity.

The next best bit of advise was to take the slack out of the throttle cable. Both from the same person.

Improved my bike control immediately.

OMG

Sorry I had forgotten that !

Well remembered and thanks for helping us old guys with failing memory!s lol.

Cheers

Ian

Sorry @Ian Frog

What had you forgotten? What memory have I jogged?

It’s late and my brain is not working on all neurons

I had forgotten how things like proper cable adjustments made a difference and would have mentioned it earlier if my fuddled brain hadn't completely overlooked it.

To be fair I think the guys have advised the op well on this thread.

Cheers

Ian

Sorry @Ian Frog

What had you forgotten? What memory have I jogged?

It’s late and my brain is not working on all neurons

I had forgotten how things like proper cable adjustments made a difference and would have mentioned it earlier if my fuddled brain hadn't completely overlooked it.

To be fair I think the guys have advised the op well on this thread.

Cheers

Ian

All advice has been most welcome so thanks all :) I traded in the 125 for the 500 so don't have that to practice on but as said before i'll give it a go and if I don't feel safe/comfortable doing it I wont :)

Someone on FB mentioned joining a local IAM group? Do you think it's wise to do advanced training right away? Or should I give myself a while on the bigger bike?