Now fully licensed, bought bigger bike, what basic maintenance should I do?

Ms_G

Sorry @Ian Frog

What had you forgotten? What memory have I jogged?

It’s late and my brain is not working on all neurons

I had forgotten how things like proper cable adjustments made a difference and would have mentioned it earlier if my fuddled brain hadn't completely overlooked it.

To be fair I think the guys have advised the op well on this thread.

Cheers

Ian

All advice has been most welcome so thanks all :) I traded in the 125 for the 500 so don't have that to practice on but as said before i'll give it a go and if I don't feel safe/comfortable doing it I wont :)

Someone on FB mentioned joining a local IAM group? Do you think it's wise to do advanced training right away? Or should I give myself a while on the bigger bike?

Personally I would give it a few months.

I wouldn't want to overload with things to think about until you have the 500 comfortably doing what you want.

Cheers

Ian

I had forgotten how things like proper cable adjustments made a difference and would have mentioned it earlier if my fuddled brain hadn't completely overlooked it.

To be fair I think the guys have advised the op well on this thread.

Cheers

Ian

All advice has been most welcome so thanks all :) I traded in the 125 for the 500 so don't have that to practice on but as said before i'll give it a go and if I don't feel safe/comfortable doing it I wont :)

Someone on FB mentioned joining a local IAM group? Do you think it's wise to do advanced training right away? Or should I give myself a while on the bigger bike?

Personally I would give it a few months.

I wouldn't want to overload with things to think about until you have the 500 comfortably doing what you want.

Cheers

Ian

I thought as much, cheers!

Look up Tamsen Cooper on You Tube for a cracking series of guides to basic motorcycle maintenance.

Used to be on here, but not been on for several years now.