CBT This Thursday - Round 2

Hi, new to the forum and new to bikes.

Brief history, I've been driving cars for 30 years, had a taster session a couple of years ago and really should have done the CBT then.

I had my first attempt at the CBT a couple of weeks ago, which didn't go well. Arrived early, the other guy on the course had been riding for a number of years but never completed and took the test to lose the L plates, so quite experienced, I was still looking forward to doing it, the instructor arrived and was egging on the early groups instructor to get a move on. They then went on to say he’d be skipping some of the basics as we'd already knew about them.

About 10-15 mins into the session I was told to talk the 'long loop' around the training ground, this had a dropping away left-hand corner which had moss on the inside and outside of the corner.... Yeap you've guessed it I dropped the bike. I got up and carried on. Again, the instructor was pushing to get out on the road. My confidence had taken a knock at this point.

Get out on the road and the first few roads went well, then he started with 'first warning' but not why, then came the second shortly after. This time I pulled over and asked what the warnings were for so that I could try and not do them again, but no information given.

After another 10 minutes, I was visibly shaking and pulled over and informed them I wanted to return to the training centre. We did and I walked away. I received an email from the company stating that I hadn't completed the course (really I would never have guessed that one sherlock!)

Anyway, I've rebooked for this Thursday with a different instructor, but I'm still really nervous about it now. I'm normally confident but for some reason this has got to me.

Any advice before I go for another attempt?

Fish

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Nerves can get the better of us all at times. On my first cbt the instructor pulled me over and stuck the highway code in my hand and asked me to explain exactly what I did wrong when going straight at a roundabout (wrong lane, no signalling :oops: )

Do you have a pushbike? It can help to familiarise yourself with what it's like on the road with two wheels.

Having never ridden before you are thinking as a car driver, some aspects do overlap but you need to change your mindset, watch some YT videos on CBT training and watch what they do, look at their position on the roads, look at how and when they do their observations, and as said go and ride a pushbike learn how to counter steer on it, you will be surprised how much lean you can get with a pushbike :thumb:

[mention]dynax[/mention] It was opposite for me and I didnt learn to drive until my early 30's after riding for about 5 years :oops: My car instructor said it was weird watching some of the things I did without thinking like driving practically on the centre line like I was trying to overtake everyone, avoiding manhole covers and nodding at passing bikers :lol:

@dynax It was opposite for me and I didnt learn to drive until my early 30's after riding for about 5 years :oops: My car instructor said it was weird watching some of the things I did without thinking like driving practically on the centre line like I was trying to overtake everyone, avoiding manhole covers and nodding at passing bikers :lol:

After i passed my driving test i used my dads car, i ended up crashing 2 of them and eventually wrote them both off within a year of passing my test, he then bought me a bike ( YB100) and i never had another accident that was my fault :lol: :thumb:

Thanks people, I don't have a push bike so cant try the counter steering, but I do remember how to ride.

I am using the same company, but different instructor so hopefully things will go better this time around.

Fish

I did my CBT the very 1st year it was introduced.

Having ridden for years before I spent a lot of time standing around waiting for newbies to complete the tasks.

Our instructor was constantly apologising to me and said that he should have booked me in with another group that had similar history & that it was a learning experience for him as well.

I was patient & didn’t complain.

Half way through the road section I realised that the radio had gone a bit quiet so pulled over ( I was lead bike ), after a few more minutes I heard him tell me to make it back to the test centre ( pub car park ), it transpired that someone in the group failed to negotiate a roundabout & binned it ( luckily no real harm done ) & I rode pillion to pick up the stricken bike.

Had a long chat with him afterwards about lots of stuff such as the suitability of a potholed pub car park strewn with gravel as a first experience for newbies.

He took my comments on board even rewarding me with a free post test advanced riding session ( smug or what!! )

If all establishments were as switched on as him, I’m sure you would have had a different experience.

As has already been said, discuss your previous experience, you don’t have to say it was with the same outfit, and most importantly don’t ever, ever give up.

The instructor makes or breaks the experience. It's not a race so they shouldn't be pushing you way beyond your comfort zone. remember your basic stuff from the first one and (always the classic advice) try and relax!

also have a good breakfast and stay hydrated in this humid weather you don't want to be feeling a bit off!!

look forward to hearing your update :thumb:

What the difference a nice instructor can make. Just finished and passed with one warning. The instructor at the end said that give it a month and he'd be happy to do a DAS, shame they aren't open. I'd still be tempted to have a bit more experience before doing that though.

(One happy) Fish

• 2 months later...