Finally got my first big bike

MarkK92

But unfortunately it turns out the key is bent. Place I bought it from have taken it back to get a key cut.

It's weird as it was fine this morning when they put it in but when I took it out it was bent and wouldn't go back in properly and unable to turn on ignition. Wouldn't go in the the fuel cap either (might have wrong name for that!).

Anyway so hopefully they'll be back tomorrow with it fixed.

I presume it's a straightforward process to cut a key that is bent?

Bike is a '99 CBR600F. It's got 22k miles.

It's not the bike I originally had in mind but due to insurance being so high I just wanted something cheap to start with and that I wouldn't mind dropping.

Anyway hopefully will be sorted tomorrow. Weather has been awful today anyway!

Thats bad luck, i'd of been gutted if I couldn't play with my new toy :( Where is the key put on your bike? just wondering if its at the side and you caught it unknowingly with your leg.

Congratulations. It’s a good feeling. Did it not come with a spare key? If not then get one cut ASAP.

Thanks very much. When the chap wheeled it out of the van earlier it was such a cool moment!

It's strange it was supposed to come with two according to dealer but it seems the other one is a key you use to cut a new one if I remember right.

They said they'd get two new ones cut anyway

Thats bad luck, i'd of been gutted if I couldn't play with my new toy :( Where is the key put on your bike? just wondering if its at the side and you caught it unknowingly with your leg.

Yeah I was absolutely gutted but these things happen. It was poring down all day and there were brand new tyres on it so I think I'd like to go out anyway when it was a bit drier.

It's in the centre. I just think it was on it's way out and just bent when it was turned. It is weird though as I say.

Was it the dealer in St Helen’s, can’t remember their name off the top of my head. I bought a bike from them years ago and they were very decent to deal with. Hopefully the weather will improve so you can play out. New tyres in the wet are prone to be unpredictable so worth waiting for dry roads.

Was it the dealer in St Helen’s, can’t remember their name off the top of my head. I bought a bike from them years ago and they were very decent to deal with. Hopefully the weather will improve so you can play out. New tyres in the wet are prone to be unpredictable so worth waiting for dry roads.

No, it was a place in Huddersfield. Place you're thinking of must be Millennium Motorcycle Centre

Congrats and commiserations.

Shame about the key that must be so annoying, hopefully all sorted for you tmrw 👍

I was literally on my way to get my gear on for a quick spin and then noticed key

One bike I had - I think it was the CB500 - had a key that would bend as soon as looked at it. Every now and then I would sandwich it between a couple of blocks of wood and hammer it straight again.

Anyway congrats on the new bike. Great choice. :D

No, it was a place in Huddersfield. Place you're thinking of must be Millennium Motorcycle Centre

Millennium, that's the place.

Keys can be weird. I had a key that was fine for years, then just snapped in half as I took it out of pocket. Anyway, the weather forecast is looking better.

Pleased to say the bike is fixed and on it's way. Seems there was somehow some issue with the ignition from a previous broken key that they didn't see until they took it apart this morning. So the key that twisted was getting weakened for a while.

Anyway it's fixed and the weather is improving and I've just taken delivery of my new shoei helmet which I love. Although I've just realised that all my gear is red and black so I sort of look like power ranger!

All I can is that I'll be getting no work done this afternoon!!

If there are no cracks in the key (sometimes they will occur if you try to straighten it by hand) you can try heating the key and slowly unbend it.

Have fun, just take it easy on new tyres. The roads are still either wet or tend to have a lot of debris and dust from the heavy rain.

Yeah thanks. I'll take it pretty easy. Roads are taking a while to dry.

If there are no cracks in the key (sometimes they will occur if you try to straighten it by hand) you can try heating the key and slowly unbend it.

I think they tried to fix the original key but no luck at making it go back in again unfortunately.

So I only have one new key now.

Will get a spare one cut myself. May even get 2 extra just to he safe!