Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

They are very dinky,

I’m sure if I sat on one, clenched my buttocks & straightened my legs they’d be no need for paddock stands 🤣🤣

They are very dinky,

I’m sure if I sat on one, clenched my buttocks & straightened my legs they’d be no need for paddock stands 🤣🤣

🤣🤣🤣 now theres an offer. If you wouldn't mind i could use a paddock stand 🤣

Guest Richzx6r

They are very dinky,

If your in need of one, I have one I don't have use for

They are very dinky,

If your in need of one, I have one I don't have use for

Thanks but bike actually came with front and back stands, i was just taking the rip 😁

Took the choke mechanism off and the throttle cable. Undid the screws that clip the carbs to the block. These are fiddly and need opening up enough so that they spin.

Rocked the carbs with the rubber handle of a hammer and a large screw driver wrapped in a cloth. Used a hairdryer to warm up the rubber and 3 and a half hours later they popped off.

Numbered 4 tubs 1 to 4 to correspond to carbs so that anything ive taken off goes back onto the carb it came from.

Blocked the holes into block with paper towel so that nothing drops into the engine.

Could only get into carbs 1 and 4. The screws have been rounded off on the other 2 carbs (not by me ) . Hubs is going to sort those tomorrow.

Carbs 1 and 4 are spotless inside.

Would like to replace all the screws.....

Took plugs out. Plug 1 perfect. 2 a little darker. 3 was half and half and 4. Was black (ill post pics tomorrow of plugs.

Good productive day 🙂

20200619_182615.thumb.jpg.9e9111b2dfbc067fcdf69c7dcc9151c6.jpg

20200619_184237.thumb.jpg.af571d7ae19d283184d5f7ce905623d5.jpg

Edited by gymwitch

Those screws round off very easily. I need to replace my ones at some point as I have had to do the hacksaw trick on them to remove.

[mention]Stu[/mention] Yes I know the answer is to buy a good set of jis screwdrivers!!

Edit: I replaced my brake fluid reservoir screws with torx head ones. I'm wondering if the same can be sourced for the carb :scratch:

I copper greased practically everything on my bike at one point :lol: It certainly wont hurt to put a little on the threads and you'll thank yourself for doing it next time you have it apart.

Guest Richzx6r

Took the choke mechanism off and the throttle cable. Undid the screws that clip the cams to the block. These are fiddly and need opening up enough so that they spin.

Rocked the cams with the rubber handle of a hammer and a large screw driver wrapped in a cloth. Used a hairdryer to warm up the rubber and 3 and a half hours later they popped off.

Numbered 4 tubs 1 to 4 to correspond to cams so that anything ive taken off goes back onto the cam it came from.

Blocked the holes into block with paper towel so that nothing drops into the engine.

Could only get into cams 1 and 4. The screws have been rounded off on the other 2 cams (not by me ) . Hubs is going to sort those tomorrow.

Cams 1 and 4 are spotless inside.

Took plugs out. Plug 1 perfect. 2 a little darker. 3 was half and half and 4. Was black (ill post pics tomorrow of plugs.

Good productive day 🙂

Looks like you have had a productive time there gym :thumb:

[mention]Richzx6r[/mention] sure did. Im really enjoying it. Chuffed with the bike and really looking forward to hearing it start for the first time.

Tomorrows list is

Petrol tank. Empty and cleaning.

Get a key cut

Sand down sub frame

Rear brake caliper

Im actually in heaven 🙂

Thanks [mention]Bender[/mention] im going to say it....i wish i had done this years ago !!! I did a lot of work on my first car. Vauxhall Cavalier...i bloody loved that thing 🤣🤣🤣 then i got a Manta...i bloody loved that thing 🤣🤣🤣

Make sure you video the first start up :thumb:

Who’s doing all the housework while your out the back fiddling ?

The struggle is real !!! 😭😭 tbf i get the house sorted first thing then i work for 3 hours, then the bike, then i start slaving in the kitchen 🙄 then i teach an 8pm class.

Friday night is curry night so i get a good run on fridays as i dont work in the evening and sunday is fish and chips night so i get another good run at it. 😬

Im going to video a lot of the resto as soon as ive figured out how to use the doohickey gimble thing

Took the choke mechanism off and the throttle cable. Undid the screws that clip the cams to the block. These are fiddly and need opening up enough so that they spin.

Rocked the cams with the rubber handle of a hammer and a large screw driver wrapped in a cloth. Used a hairdryer to warm up the rubber and 3 and a half hours later they popped off.

Numbered 4 tubs 1 to 4 to correspond to cams so that anything ive taken off goes back onto the cam it came from.

Could only get into cams 1 and 4. The screws have been rounded off on the other 2 cams (not by me ) . Hubs is going to sort those tomorrow.

Cams 1 and 4 are spotless inside.

Good productive day 🙂

I know it`s only a silly typo point but cams are inside the engine and those things you are playing with are carbs lol.

Seriously though good to see progress already and getting that key cut will help no end.

Cheers

Ian

[mention]Ian Frog[/mention] i keep calling them cams !!! I know they are not but its stuck in my head 😒 its my age 🤣

Sorted. Ive also realised ive called it a 1998 in the title. Ive changed the main heading but would, it appears, have to change all the headings individually 🙄

Thanks @Bender im going to say it....i wish i had done this years ago !!! I did a lot of work on my first car. Vauxhall Cavalier...i bloody loved that thing 🤣🤣🤣 then i got a Manta...i bloody loved that thing 🤣🤣🤣

I had a manta, I got it cheap as garage couldn't start it, choke was all that was wrong, bit of string sorted that.

Keep taking plenty of pics they are great for reference later when your wondering why you have something left over.

Get yer plugs out !!!

1592654502486.thumb.jpg.6cadb3aa62de55720c0c784f491eca9b.jpg

Top left both sides plug 1. Top right plug 2.

Bottom left plug 3 and bottom right plug 4.

Im going with sooty not oily.

Edited by gymwitch

Guest Swagman

Or just possible it’s been started and not run at all for a few years hence the Fouled plugs, if just started and not got up to proper temp it may do that. :D :D

Hi @gymwitch , Or if you take seat catch lock out of Rear fairing the key number should be stamped on the side, here's a photo of mine and you can clearly see the number, last 3 on lock and that's the key number, also here's a website I sometime use.

Hope it helps :thumb: www.replacementkeys.co.uk/honda-a-d-series.html.

SAM_2884.JPG

SAM_2885.JPG

That's if your locks are genuine :D

2 keys ordered through the site you posted. Thanks !!! 😊

Or just possible it’s been started and not run at all for a few years hence the Fouled plugs, if just started and not got up to proper temp it may do that. :D :D

yeah you will have to go for a ride on it and get it fully up to temp before you can say for sure that it's rich. You can foul the plugs like that doing a few starts on the stand and not getting it fully up to temp. On the plus side they look like new plugs to me. Your air filter looked new too so it seems like it was serviced shortly before it was parked which would be great.