Honda CBR 400RR NC23 1989 Hurricane restoration

Bit disappointed...i cant get the screws out. Most of them are mangled, ill have to leave that to his nibs. All the screws need replacing. So ill rub down the subframe ready for painting. 😒

20200620_143039.thumb.jpg.a7e92d3800852ad32dd1e887c1c4a7bc.jpg

Some people shouldn't be allowed near a screw driver 😡

Guest Richzx6r

Bit disappointed...i cant get the screws out. Most of them are mangled, ill have to leave that to his nibs. All the screws need replacing. So ill rub down the subframe ready for painting. 😒

20200620_143039.jpg

If you had some needle files theres a possibility that you could make them screw heads good but it may be that it would be easier to drill them out and use new screws

20200620_143039.jpg

If you had some needle files theres a possibility that you could make them screw heads good but it may be that it would be easier to drill them out and use new screws

Molegrips would be my choice to get them off, spray with WD40 and leave them for 10 mins :thumb:

20200620_143039.jpg

Molegrips would be my choice to get them off, spray with WD40 and leave them for 10 mins :thumb:

:stupid:

Yup plenty of room there to clamp onto to crack them off, they still look doable with a good screwdriver and a few taps first.

I agree with the molegrips/vice grips idea. You're lucky. The head of the screw is exposed so you could clamp small vice grips onto the the screw and turn, they will crack loose. The dot on the head of the screw means they're JIS. You could invest in some JIS screwdrivers to prevent stripping in the future

20200620_143039.jpg

I agree with [mention]dynax[/mention] and [mention]Bender[/mention] but if you have a dremmel you could cut a nice tight screw slot and tappity tap and turn might be easier.

Cheers Ian

20200620_143039.jpg

I agree with @dynax and @Bender but if you have a dremmel you could cut a nice tight screw slot and tappity tap and turn might be easier.

Cheers Ian

This is what I did, worked very well.

Replaced them with cap head bolts cut down to size.

20200620_143039.jpg

I agree with @dynax and @Bender but if you have a dremmel you could cut a nice tight screw slot and tappity tap and turn might be easier.

Cheers Ian

This is what I did, worked very well.

Replaced them with cap head bolts cut down to size.

Thats exactly what I did when I restored my Harris with Z1R lump in.

I think every neanderthal in the known world had chewed those float bowl screws.

I hate impact drivers but once the bank was in the vice it was the only way forward

Cheers

Ian

@oldgrump is that material with the sunflowers on?

It's a Plastic table cloth on the dining room table :!: Why :!:

And on the subject of screws for float bowls, have you got a small centre punch? then you could just tap them un done!

And as various people said replace with Cap Head bolts.

@oldgrump is that material with the sunflowers on?

It's a Plastic table cloth on the dining room table :!: Why :!:

And on the subject of screws for float bowls, have you got a small centre punch? then you could just tap them un done!

And as various people said replace with Cap Head bolts.

It looks like some material i bought to cover some kitchen chairs and i adored it. I would love to be able to get it again.

Hubs is grinding a groove in them before he goes sailing.....im still waiting 🤔 patiently mind you 😤

Can i clean the carb bodies with parafin?

Also ive got the 2 jets out that have screws on top but theres another round one with no screws thats brass and a brass tube at the top. Do they come off and if so how?

Guest Richzx6r

Can i clean the carb bodies with parafin?

Also ive got the 2 jets out that have screws on top but theres another round one with no screws thats brass and a brass tube at the top. Do they come off and if so how?

Any pics possible of the bits you are after taking out?

Hi [mention]gymwitch[/mention] when you look at bottom of carbs you have 3 brass jets, the small one with a slot is the pilot jet, and normally the most important, controls slow running and the one most likely to block up! The one in middle is in two parts Main jet at top and the Needle jet, screws into body. The other long brass jet is fixed into Carb body and don't try to remove okay.

But use Carb Cleaner and plenty off it with a airline!! trouble is with jets is sometime they look clean but keep blocking up.

If you have a Euro parts car place near you get a couple cans of the Wynn's carb cleaner, that's good.

When you spray down the pilot jet when it's fitted to carb, just by the butterfly flap, is either one or two very small holes (sorry can't remember off hand) the spray should come out of these holes!! There's 2 on the Nc29 carbs I just done but I think only 1 on the Nc23!!

Open the Butterfly slightly when you spray, you can see the spray pattern better.

Also the black rubber thing with the needle which comes out .....can i clean that with carb cleaner?

It should be okay, a damp rag may be best on Diaphragms, But you have gone to town on them carbs!!! Haven't you!

Did you remove the pilot screws!

And if you did, did you wind them in and count how many turns, before they bottomed out? then wrote them down for each carb, just that some times people remove them, then can't get motor to tick over very well later.

Also you can clean bowls with tooth brush and carb cleaner, but try to ease rubber gaskets out first. :D

Are the pilot screws the ones that go to a point? If so i did remove them and they were all the way in and tight. So much so that the tips were rusted.