Leaking fuel/petrol smell - more liquid in engine/oil bit

James in Brum

Air in a can for cleaning computers and cameras has no comparison to what is referred to as Compressed Air in a Motorcycle Manual .

Air in a can for cleaning computers and cameras has no comparison to what is referred to as Compressed Air in a Motorcycle Manual .

True. But should be OK for blowing through the carbs.

Not directly related to the problem at hand but is that blue hose the fuel hose? Looks like regular old silicone hose to me - only a guess - but I thought silicone hose was a no go for fuel or oil, and pretty much the only option is nitrile rubber.

Anyway, not a problem right now but it might become one if the hose fails. Sorry to add to the list. It might be fine but I really thought silicone hose ain't a great idea. And if you ebay "blue nitrile hose" it doesn't come back with anything, so all I'm thinking is it isn't nitrile rubber.

In fact thinking about it, it could be related to the issue at hand if it turns out the debris stuck in the float is blue...

Guest Richzx6r

Not directly related to the problem at hand but is that blue hose the fuel hose? Looks like regular old silicone hose to me - only a guess - but I thought silicone hose was a no go for fuel or oil, and pretty much the only option is nitrile rubber.

Anyway, not a problem right now but it might become one if the hose fails. Sorry to add to the list. It might be fine but I really thought silicone hose ain't a great idea. And if you ebay "blue nitrile hose" it doesn't come back with anything, so all I'm thinking is it isn't nitrile rubber.

In fact thinking about it, it could be related to the issue at hand if it turns out the debris stuck in the float is blue...

Well pointed out I hadn't given them any thought....the plot thickens

They might actually just be air hoses for the diaphragms and not for fuel at all. I now see there is a picture with the carbs resting on the wall and there is a black braided hose which is most likely the fuel inlet.. Hmm carry on :D

Guest Richzx6r

So far I have done the bits that are easy now it’s not raining.

I need to read the manual to find out what to do next. And come back here to read the excellent directions I will get from you.

Also to ask what exactly to buy because I didn’t find an easy answer on Wemoto :-)

AB8A2FBA-E927-420D-A94E-CD245CBD4702.jpeg0618425D-3D84-4060-8449-37DB8A405CF7.jpegB2767CA9-D517-437F-9579-F7423C632469.jpeg8453646A-BFE5-4BAB-9FAF-798008B77F1E.jpegA34CEC24-2877-4CB8-BD2D-F6EECC01F36C.jpeg3678F0A9-279B-461A-9217-5BB9089AA274.jpeg

2nd to last pic there is a blue pipe with a spring clip I'd hazard a guess that that's the fuel from tank inlet to the carbs which looks like it's the same type of pipe as the ones that are on top of the air box so it could be that over time that has started to degrade and that like bits of it have found they're way in to the carbs :scratch:

Rich, you might be right, but there is also the black hose!

James, what hoses were connected to the petrol tap?

They might be OK, as long as silicone hasn't been used for the fuel inlet into the carbs. The other hoses will either be air hoses (vents for the diaphragms under the black caps) or some sort of fuel overflow/drainage. Oh and possibly a vacuum hose for the petrol tap if it has a vacuum safety whatsit.

But fuel hose is just nitrile rubber, usually plain old black. There's a few different grades and sizes (thicknesses) and qualities but don't get started on that if what you have is OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealing with hoses I finally got round to the carbs (urettors rather than bread and rice). Family life has made it difficult and then the speeding tickets just put me off.

I have stripped and cleaned one of them so far.

I shall come back wth questions later probably but for now here are some pics.058462CC-CF7F-49B1-9612-D13729C11E06.thumb.jpeg.3ea8cdc8d2795af066fa1e7ffbf89e22.jpegB73692E3-9ACD-4CB3-95D9-E9F03BD9BADA.thumb.jpeg.c689ae07895e3609e7832fc894c4d792.jpeg

Guest Richzx6r

High rise distaster action movie with the rock in but more importantly also with Neve Campbell in. I have fancied her for decades!

Talking about the speeding stuff have you heard anything back about it?

I hope its good news for you mate

Okay gang. I have cleaned all of the four carbs, I have take. Off the bit with the spring and rubber and needle and cleaned.

I have taken off the other side and replaced the little bits that look like rockets with the spring in to make the float spring (float spring maybe).

I have checked all the main jets.

I have put everything back together.

Before I put it back in the bike what do I need to do? Just put it back and hook everything up? Have I missed stuff?

Okay gang. I have cleaned all of the four carbs, I have take. Off the bit with the spring and rubber and needle and cleaned.

I have taken off the other side and replaced the little bits that look like rockets with the spring in to make the float spring (float spring maybe).

I have checked all the main jets.

I have put everything back together.

Before I put it back in the bike what do I need to do? Just put it back and hook everything up? Have I missed stuff?

Love the descriptions . So did you take the pilot air screws out and if you did , did you check that they were screwed out to the correct number of turns according to manufacturers guidelines ? I only ask because they are a right fiddle to adjust when the carbs are on the bike .

image.thumb.jpg.9e7da9ff621aaf3a782665927a1d99e2.jpgI realise that I may not have the settings correct but I cannot work out from the manual what might not be right in terms of turning what screw thing in or out.

I am trying to put the carbs back on and the second (lower) of the accelerator cables is being an absolute bast*rd!

All the cables reattached to the right place but I did have to undo the housing at the handle bar and now I cannot get it back on. That’s a later problem.

Struggling to get the big black thing with four ‘chimney tube’ type things on. I think it bolts directly to the carb to allow air in and sits inside the air filter housing.

I have managed to refit all the cables, hoses etc and reassemble the handle bar bit.

The air box thing is back on.

Just need to change the oil filter, put the new sump plug back in, fill with oil and put the petrol tank back on.

Question: do I need to do anything to prime the system?

I have managed to refit all the cables, hoses etc and reassemble the handle bar bit.

The air box thing is back on.

Just need to change the oil filter, put the new sump plug back in, fill with oil and put the petrol tank back on.

Question: do I need to do anything to prime the system?

If fuel tap has a prime(pri) setting use that briefly initially to allow fuel to flow into system

I would leave airbox off until you can start it initially as you need access to carbs

And dont fully reattach tank etc until you have started as you need to tweek things as

You will need to balance the carbs once running .

Has it stopped leaking petrol? What's it doing when you ride it? What RPM is it idling at? Is the needle steady or bouncing around? When you rev it up and then release the throttle does the revs rise and then drop down quickly or does it come down gradually? It should rev up instantly and drop back down quickly, if it's coming down gradually there's a problem.