Change Fork Oil at same time as Head Bearing?

Lanceautoman

Morning,

I am having my head bearings replaced by a mechanic tomorrow on my 2011 Honda Hornet CB600FB. I've had the bike nearly 2 years. Front suspension seems absolutely fine with no leaks or anything but I've no idea how long since the fork oil was changed; if ever. Would it be sensible to get the mechanic to change the fork oil as a preventative measure whilst the forks are off? Not sure what they would charge to do that as well. I don't really want to spend more money unnecessarily but if it is a sensible preventative measure that will be cheaper whilst he has the front apart I may do it. Thanks

It's certainly worth mentioning while the forks are off. The recommendation is every 10,000 miles or every year whichever comes first.

Though I must say I never changed the fork oil on my 125 for 4 years and didn't have an issue

You would be amazed at the sludge that comes out. I'm not saying that you will notice any drastic improvement but if there's an opportunity you might as well take it .

Guest Swagman

If the mechanic is willing to just change oil wouldn’t be to expensive, but if I where the mechanic I would want to change the seals too as I wouldn’t want the risk of them starting to leak afterwards and being blamed for it. Just my thoughts mind. :D

Guest Richzx6r

I agree with swag and bob, if the seals look good maybe get away with reusing them but for piece of mind I'd replace them aswell as the oil.

When I had my front forks done it completely transformed the bike, though it did cost me £580 to get them done but I'd say it was well worth it

Guest Richzx6r

So I have an overdue change then...

Had the bike for 6 years and never changed it :shock:

The suspension on my old ninja I don't think was done throughout its whole life as what came out was just black treacle looking sludge

So I have an overdue change then...

Had the bike for 6 years and never changed it :shock:

The suspension on my old ninja I don't think was done throughout its whole life as what came out was just black treacle looking sludge

That's project number 26 since lockdown ;)

Well if you're going to change the seals it would be a wasted opportunity if you didn't change the bushes while the forks are apart . This is getting out of control . 😁

Well if you're going to change the seals it would be a wasted opportunity if you didn't change the bushes while the forks are apart . This is getting out of control . 😁

Then while the wheel is off and stearing is apart better double check the bearings...