Garage fridge keeps tripping GFCI outlet

Tonarto

I have a perfectly functioning. 20 year old fridge in my garage that recently started tripping the GFCI outlet it’s plugged into. Same outlet for previous 14 years with no issues. There’s no ice maker in the fridge.

Decided to take an extension cord and run it to another GFCI outlet on the other wall of the garage and it trips it there as well. (About 5-6 times per day).

Is the issue the fridge or something else?

PS. A recent power surge zapped my frig circuit board. The repairman said to get a surge protector. Is there some special heavy duty thing required for a frig (versus, say, for a computer)? What can you say about this products https://refrigeratorfaq.com/surge-protector-for-a-refrigerator/ ? Thanks.

Edited by Tonarto

Sounds like the thermostat is faulty.

Have you check if it only trips when thermostat goes on or all the time?

Try bypassing it and see if it still does it.

More likely the motor capacitor is bolloxed :lol: :thumb:

a fiver says isn't :P

Monopoly money :thumb:

Unless there was a power surge and network earthing failed the capacitor will last as long as the motor, those things are pretty much indestructible.

On the other hand the thermostat is the weakest link and normally a unbranded one costs as much as £15.

One other thing that could be causing it would be the light switch or the bulb support, but there was no mention that the light isn't working ;)

It’s the 120 volts at 60 hertz that’s the problem.

Seriously as it is tripping the earth leakage circuit breaker (British terminology) there is probably a breakdown in the motor insulation causing a high resistance path to earth. But enough to trip the breaker.

Short answer motor is toast. Buy a new fridge.

I had a similar issue once and it turned out to be the tumble dryer. Water had got into the circuitry. Dried it all out and its still running now without an issue. Probably no use to you, just wanted to share that my problem was an easy fix :lol: