Seeing as Evotech can't be arsed to reply to my question whether it's on eBay, through their website, on Twitter or by email...can anybody tell me if something made to hold all of the other Garmins will hold the Zumo XT?

896556136_Screenshot2020-06-24at23_32_51.thumb.png.5a337275c7dc8a214a57d1b6b73a5ad5.png

I think Garmin have a standard fitment for all their powered holders. You can confirm that by contacting Garmin UK based in Southampton.

Shows how stupid I am to not have thought of that :lol:

I think Garmin have a standard fitment for all their powered holders. You can confirm that by contacting Garmin UK based in Southampton.

And lo, I now know more about the "4-hole AMPS pattern" than I did before. Thanks for the prompt :thumb:

The only bad thing about Garmin, isnt the unit itself.. zumos are amazingly tough and last forever... (seemingly) And Garmin support is eternal too. my 11 year old unit is still fully supported and updated, And the one time i neede to send it to Garmin, they went that extra mile.. I was really chuffed with the way they sorted the issue i had.

no... its the software you use on the computer to create bespoke routes, "Basecamp" - I use the Mac version and its not exactly user friendly (putting it mildly) but.. i get on with it ok. it could be better though, a lot better.

I'm not sure I would say one was better than the other. They are different. They both have their good and bad points so it comes down to personal choice.

I have had both Tomtom and Garmin, my last Garmin was a 660LM. I found it made some strange routing choices. I have settled with Tomtom these days having had the Rider V3, Rider V5, Rider 400 and currently have the Rider 550. If Garmin suites your needs then fine but "better" I'm not sure.

no... its the software you use on the computer to create bespoke routes, "Basecamp" - I use the Mac version and its not exactly user friendly (putting it mildly) but.. i get on with it ok. it could be better though, a lot better.

Mapsource and Basecamp have always been a bit clunky and difficult to use. There are other options.

ITN Converter is free and converts almost any route format to any other. I use it in conjunction with MyRouteApp with a bit of Google Maps thrown in for good measure.

ITN Converter, it's free and works well

http://benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=4&lang=en

MyRouteApp has basic functions for free and it works well

https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab

Mapsource and Basecamp have always been a bit clunky and difficult to use. There are other options.

ITN Converter is free and converts almost any route format to any other. I use it in conjunction with MyRouteApp with a bit of Google Maps thrown in for good measure.

ITN Converter, it's free and works well

http://benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=4&lang=en

MyRouteApp has basic functions for free and it works well

https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab

:stupid:

You don't HAVE to use Basecamp there is other software that will work

One of my main complaints was that you have no way of planning a route while out and about except for on the unit itself which is very slow and clunky!

I looked more more into it and found that you can use myrouteapp on your mobile phone to plan routes and export them to a SD card and then simply put the SD card in to the zumo

I looked more more into it and found that you can use myrouteapp on your mobile phone to plan routes and export them to a SD card and then simply put the SD card in to the zumo

For my purposes im fine with basecamp. been using it for 11 years now on this same Zumo.

Never used Garmin except on boats but have TomTom on the bike. Interesting to know why you consider Garmin the better? I am no massive fan of TomTom but it's good enough.

They are more or less same I assume, I got first TomTom rider and it still working, just maps cannot be updated last 5 years. New 550 is brilliant as long it works. On my recent trip it turned off and refused to turn on for half a day. Than it turned on and it worked since.

Same as nacos platinum, it is better than 5 but not so reliable :cheers:

One of my main complaints was that you have no way of planning a route while out and about except for on the unit itself which is very slow and clunky!

any windows handheld pc will re-program a route "on the hoof" and some are quite small .... i take a laptop .. which is not small .. However i have yet to require its services whilst out on the road .. gets used at the hotels .. so seriously how many times have you needed to re-program a route "on the hoof" ?

any windows handheld pc will re-program a route "on the hoof" and some are quite small .... i take a laptop .. which is not small .. However i have yet to require its services whilst out on the road .. gets used at the hotels .. so seriously how many times have you needed to re-program a route "on the hoof" ?

I have a 7 inch windows tablet but when out touring I have the wife with me who has everything but the kitchen sink so space is a premium

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated my map file on the Zumo and it went very smoothly, which I think is quite remarkable for a device that is now 11 years old, August 2009 as a birthday present.

even for the model it is, its ancient, there were at least 2 updates that Im aware of to the device before it was replaced in 2014. at least twice - onboard memory was increased with the final update including lifetime maps.

I have only once had a problem with it.. there was a glitch in the software, maybe 4/5 years ago, where a software update that the website said was fine for my device, actually bricked it. This update was required before i could update the internal maps.

So, I sent an email to their support place and a speedy reply, send it to us. I did so and after a couple of days got an email. Please pay £15.

For that £15, I got the device returned to me by courier. it had the update performed and the mapping updated (usually £50) a new battery. And a new 32Gb sd card installed. with the 4Gb card that was in it, in a cute little case in the box. and a new 12 month software warranty.

by modern standards its quite basic, though it pairs with my brand new phone, perfectly. its also tough. and I really do mean TOUGH.

i just had a look on ebay and there are a few for sale.. for not a bad price.

And when you consider these are still fully supported after such a long time... well, better than risking my new phone I think.

I wonder how long it will actually live for? or when/if garmin cease support, change to software/mapping it can no longer accept.

P1000056.thumb.JPG.67b4b13cf645aa89614d890c172107b0.JPG