Is this tyre done?

jedibiker

Guest Swagman

Hey, I was out with a few guys and couldn't help notice the difference between my tyre and theirs.

Even the same size tyre looked wider than mine. Since I got this bike the tyre has had a square finish and obviously I've not leaned it enough to put it right if it's even possible.

Its PR4 and they seem to look square-ish anyway(not this bad) when I got the tyre I could see he hadn't had it leaning much at all. I don't lean much still but still scrubbed off more tyre.

Can I stick any brand on the back if I keep the pr4 on the front?

thanks

Legal but will handle poorly. :D :thumb:

With the middle of the tyre being raised like that I would say it’s a suspension issue.

Have a look in you user manual and get the rear back to stock settings.

If it already is then your shock could be knackered.

Loads of different tyre wear patterns explained in the video.

Also this Article

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

thanks for all your advice. is there any reason you can't use 2 different brands? or just something people like to do.

Really fancy a metzeler on the back and can do front when start earning.

There is no problem if don’t bother you. Basically is not recommended because of possible different tyre characteristics and bike behaviour. Front is equally important as rear, when entering corners, you loading front tyre and you depend on it. Lot of accidents are caused by bad front tyre. Not only cornering but also breaking, majority of motorcycle breaking is done by front brake (for most of us), don’t underestimate importance of front tyre.

But if you are happy with your front no reason to change it. Make sure they both have similar performance wet and dry, same time need to warm up and it’s ok.

If you are not fast rider than doesn’t matter at all.

With the middle of the tyre being raised like that I would say it’s a suspension issue.

Have a look in you user manual and get the rear back to stock settings.

If it already is then your shock could be knackered.

Loads of different tyre wear patterns explained in the video.

Also this Article

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/

Great video thanks, I do like Daves work. I have adjusted the suspension to suit my weight etc. The tyre was already like this when I got it but has worn more on top and I have got more wear on the sides. But, I may have added more preload to get a better feel in corners when it was actually the tyre making me feel unsure. I'm getting a new tyre Tuesday and before I go I'm going to wind the suspension back 1. And see how it looks. But will also ask the advice of the mechanic when there.

Depending on what is said I may go with a friend to Telford and pay to have the suspension set up properly, which in turn may highlight the shock is shite. Its a bandit so no doubt it is.

thanks for all your advice. is there any reason you can't use 2 different brands? or just something people like to do.

Really fancy a metzeler on the back and can do front when start earning.

There is no problem if don’t bother you. Basically is not recommended because of possible different tyre characteristics and bike behaviour. Front is equally important as rear, when entering corners, you loading front tyre and you depend on it. Lot of accidents are caused by bad front tyre. Not only cornering but also breaking, majority of motorcycle breaking is done by front brake (for most of us), don’t underestimate importance of front tyre.

But if you are happy with your front no reason to change it. Make sure they both have similar performance wet and dry, same time need to warm up and it’s ok.

If you are not fast rider than doesn’t matter at all.

Im not a fast rider, not compared to those out on 120+bhp bikes. I do like to try and take corners fast but that's fast to me. Its a 80hp bike so I think it will be ok. Im getting a Metzeler m7rr. If it does feel off Il try find funds to do the front as well but they are very similar in their use.

@jedibiker

What feeling/feedback are you getting that makes you think the suspension is set up wrong?

initially when in a corner it felt like the back was bobbing or jumping into position. its hard to put into words lol. Looking more at the tyre the edge of the tread is raised, not sure if thats the leading edge or not. But its never changed since getting the bike.

20200624_090540.thumb.jpg.7747bed2db3742fc7bd1ffe5c8624906.jpg

Did one training years ago in Croatia, it’s run by ex racer, you don’t need a high speed to lean over, we did pretty badass leans with not more than 5 ml/h. Yes it’s all safe with lot of safety features . Not my videos :mrgreen:

@jedibiker

What feeling/feedback are you getting that makes you think the suspension is set up wrong?

initially when in a corner it felt like the back was bobbing or jumping into position. its hard to put into words lol. Looking more at the tyre the edge of the tread is raised, not sure if thats the leading edge or not. But its never changed since getting the bike.

I have active suspension and it is the same. Front edge will always be rounded and lower than back edge that will be higher and sharp.

@jedibiker

Suspension sounds like its not set up right then

A raised leading or trailing edge is when the suspension rebound is set too slow or fast

I get it on mine when fully loaded with pillion and luggage but its fine when on my own I have tweaked the suspension to find a nice middle ground

i practice slow manoeuvres etc to be honest, what I mean by not going fast is hitting sharp bends at speed. the bike is happy with corners and roundabouts at slower speeds, but when I try to go a little faster on tighter turns, it then feels weird. I do acknowledge I'm still learning, but I've practised for 1000's of miles, tried different methods and the bike is odd, the tyre wear is clue I think.

@jedibiker

Suspension sounds like its not set up right then

A raised leading or trailing edge is when the suspension rebound is set too slow or fast

I get it on mine when fully loaded with pillion and luggage but its fine when on my own I have tweaked the suspension to find a nice middle ground

I may turn the damping down 1 and see how it looks. getting new tyre next week but if the bike is set wrong i want to avoid a repeat. But at least this tyre will be used just by me.

A better photo. the tread is raised but not worn that way. really odd tyres lol

They don't actually look that bad to be honest

i thought that, just the square shape getting it replaced. damping was on max (4) done few hundred miles on that setting.

They don't actually look that bad to be honest

i thought that, just the square shape getting it replaced. damping was on max (4) done few hundred miles on that setting.

Max of 4? You normally have around 20 clicks of adjustment on the damping screw

Just to be sure are you turning a screw or the ring on top of the spring?

Bandits have shit shocks, the screw is the top and has 6 levels of preload. at the bottom is a little wheel that has 4 settings for damping.

I know normal sports bikes have much better range. I think its why people put gsxr shocks on.

Are we really looking to blame the suspension for heavy central wear of the rear tyre of a road bike? Really?? When there are massive unused strips on the edges as well!? This place :lol:

If it bothers you then get a new one put on, any sports touring tyre would be fine but really all the modern radials are pretty good. This is being made really complicated!

Bandits have shit shocks, the screw is the top and has 6 levels of preload. at the bottom is a little wheel that has 4 settings for damping.

I know normal sports bikes have much better range. I think its why people put gsxr shocks on.

Never had the opportunity to play with a bandit shock I just thought it was weird having just 4 settings

Guest Swagman

When you have the new tyre fitted you will feel a whole world of difference, you simply have a rear tyre with flat spot as you bank over to corner it throws the bike slightly out of whack.

That’s perfect new tyre, nothing strange on it.

I am happy with mine and it look shit in compare with your tyre. Front edge rounded, back edge sharp. Little to correct on this new active, semi active suspension

1072068C-FF97-4C37-A740-309913800806.thumb.jpeg.6a7c9d361cb27bc07938846fc7bb1565.jpeg

Are we really looking to blame the suspension for heavy central wear of the rear tyre of a road bike? Really?? When there are massive unused strips on the edges as well!? This place :lol:

If it bothers you then get a new one put on, any sports touring tyre would be fine but really all the modern radials are pretty good. This is being made really complicated!

massive strips lol. there smaller than when I got it but I don't like how it feels far over to don't go further. the center is worn due to long use before I got it and as the tyre is 4 years old I doubt Il get it any better. Suspension can alter a tyre, dave moss covers it in detail. on this its looking more unlikely. And a new one being fitted Tuesday then I know its down to me to srub in and get it used how it should be.