Police safety video

I agree with Mississipi, I had the same thing taught to me when I did an advanced rider course. Natural reaction, when things go pear shaped to want to stop the bike and suddenly grab for the brakes, it sometimes isn't the best thing to do though, getting a tank slapper is a prime example. I was also taught, on a motorway, never get stuck in the centre lane with vehicles on both sides, "unless its slow moving traffic of course", the rationale was to leave yourself an escape route. So the thinking behind, "what will I do if things start to go tits up" is sound, and as said, it changes how you think about everyday riding.

I tend to use the rear brake mainly for slow manoeuvring, the rest of the time its a mix or front and rear with emphasis on the front, I would say 80% front and 20% rear. The exception would be when off roading but that's a different ball of wax all together. Looking at this video the rider behind could have avoided the accident had he have been watching what was going on ahead of him, it also looks like he's slammed the rear brake on causing a rear end slide, this is a typical newbie mistake, so it sort of makes sense that this guy isn't a seasoned biker.

It was also a bad place and time to make a road safety video, fog, damp road, fast road, and why the copper stood out in the road in front of him doesn't make sense?? He puts himself and other road users at risk.

It was also a bad place and time to make a road safety video, fog, damp road, fast road, and why the copper stood out in the road in front of him doesn't make sense?? He puts himself and other road users at risk.

This reminds me of a story told by a guy I worked for in a garage years ago. I'm sure it's a shaggy dog story told in various forms but it was good at the time.

He said that when he did his motorcycle test it was in the days when the examiner would step out in front of you. (As indeed happened on my test.) The guy took him to an area, told him to ride round the block and he would jump out in front of him - at which point he was required to demonstrate his emergency stop.

So he went round the block. No-one jumped out. He thought the examiner was being tricky and hoping to catch him unawares. He went round again. And again, and again. At one point he was stopped by the police and diverted down another road which gave him some anxiety, but he kept going round the same route as much as he could figuring the examiner would figure out what was going on.

Eventually he ran out of petrol and had to walk back to the test centre. When he got there they told him the examiner had heard him coming, jumped out, only it was the wrong motorbike and he'd been run over. That was why the police diverted the traffic whilst the examiner was loaded into an ambulance.