2020 Suzuki GSX-R1000R review

geofferz

Time owned: 1 month

Miles done: 1000

Riding: spirited mixed roads (no track yet)

Price paid: £13999 (MSRP is £16099 currently) - £500 down and £143 a month, 49 months, 3% apr

Specs: 199bhp, 86ftlb torque, 1000cc inline 4 engine with variable valve timing for power throughout the rev range. 202kg wet weight, 186mph+ top speed. Metallic Triton Blue colour.

This is largely the same model that suzuki released in 2017 (known as the 'L7' model. 2019 is L9, 2020 = M0. At some point (2019 model perhaps?) they changed the front brake hoses to braided, to combat brake fade. Brembo radial 4 pot monobloc calipers (non brembo master cylinder though). Permanent on abs.

10 stage tc with anti wheelie tied to each setting accordingly, 3 setting throttle response/power delivery.

This 'R' model adds to the above: showa BFF balance free forks, launch control, inverted dark dash, 6 axis imu with cornering abs. Also Quickshifter and blipper.

Screenshot_20200627-154918_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ac912f7f44a87dffcba6b8a334b6e54d.jpg

Mods: arrow race Pro titanium end can (race legal...), evotech shorty levers, tail tidy, and rad guard, gilles tooling lever protectors (evotech only did the brake side?!), oem tank pad, eazi grips, r&g paddock stand bobbins, dark double bubble race screen.

Bike history: 125 for a year then yamaha mt10 1000cc supernaked for the past 2 years

20200626_082026.thumb.jpg.4536b0005b5677901a333501aada282a.jpg

The mt10 is such a good bike I didn't know where to go when I wanted a change (just fancied something different). This is my first sports bike. I do finance and this is just so affordable. Compare finance on the bmw S1000rr - same £15k rough cost but it's £238 a month for the closest similar terms. Gsxr has great residuals, is cheap to start with, low APR, and this was a covid special too good to pass up. I'd never wanted a suzuki (quite the opposite!) or even seen one when I agreed to buy it. I thought the r1 or bmw looked better (Zx10r too actually) but the looks on this have really grown in me and now I love it.

My review is really a comparison to the mt10 as its the only other big bike I've owned.

Comfort: huge seat! Very comfy for a supersports. Less committed (I'm informed) than the r1. I've done 1000 miles in 1 month and no discomfort or pain anywhere. I did 500, miles in 2 days, I'm 6"2. The naked Mt gives you neck ache at high speeds due to lack of wind protection, this slices through the wind and you don't really notice yourself doing silly speeds suddenly. Speaking of which:

Performance: the Mt does exactly what you want it - power everywhere, point, squeeze and it goes there. Very planted, wheelie machine. This is lighter, 40bhp more powerful, totally different beast. Doesn't wheelie as much, just gets around a track very quickly. It doesn't feel as fast due to the fairing but it really really is - 180 comes at you in no time (on a closed private road of course). It does 100mph in 1st gear, I can confirm, on that same road. Stupidly fast bike - I'll never use even 70% of the power.

1578197551_Screenshot_20200624-220752_VideoPlayer.thumb.jpg.ff20738b42d29c78a0e4ddbdaa5d39fa.jpg

Handling etc: riding a superbike is very different from a supernaked so I can't compare that well but it does exactly what you want it to and more. The forks are supposed to be amazing but I'm not sure I'm qualified to review them properly. Ill get em setup for my weight in a while. The brakes are... okay. My mate's Street triples brakes are simply better. Might do a pad change one day soon.

The rest: even with the stock can which is slightly smaller than cooling tower number 5 in Chernobyl the bike sounds great. But the can had to go for looks alone. I freaking love this arrow jobbie - it's a thing of beauty. Sounds immense - roars like a lion.

20200625_084825.thumb.jpg.a07cb8132a946cab10d214ae3139ba02.jpg

The lairy paint job was not to my taste initially - better than the red and black or white and blue. But now I love it.

Other planned mods? Maybe just a rear hugger. And maybe carbon wheels but they aren't cheap. I think that's about it.

I love this bike.

Edited by geofferz

Time owned: 1 month

Miles done: 1000

Riding: spirited mixed roads (no track yet)

Price paid: £13999 (MSRP is £16099 currently) - £500 down and £143 a month, 49 months, 3% apr

Specs: 199bhp, 86ftlb torque, 1000cc inline 4 engine with variable valve timing for power throughout the rev range. 202kg wet weight, 186mph+ top speed. Metallic Triton Blue colour.

This is largely the same model that suzuki released in 2017 (known as the 'L7' model. 2019 is L9, 2020 = M0. At some point (2019 model perhaps?) they changed the front brake hoses to braided, to combat brake fade. Brembo radial 4 pot monobloc calipers (non brembo master cylinder though). Permanent on abs.

10 stage tc with anti wheelie tied to each setting accordingly, 3 setting throttle response/power delivery.

This 'R' model adds to the above: showa BFF balance free forks, launch control, inverted dark dash, 6 axis imu with cornering abs. Also Quickshifter and blipper.

Screenshot_20200627-154918_Gallery.jpg

Mods: arrow race Pro titanium end can (race legal...), evotech shorty levers, tail tidy, and rad guard, gilles tooling lever protectors (evotech only did the brake side?!), oem tank pad, eazi grips, r&g paddock stand bobbins, dark double bubble race screen.

Bike history: 125 for a year then yamaha mt10 1000cc supernaked for the past 2 years

20200626_082026.jpg

The mt10 is such a good bike I didn't know where to go when I wanted a change (just fancied something different). This is my first sports bike. I do finance and this is just so affordable. Compare finance on the bmw S1000rr - same £15k rough cost but it's £238 a month for the closest similar terms. Gsxr has great residuals, is cheap to start with, low APR, and this was a covid special too good to pass up. I'd never wanted a suzuki (quite the opposite!) or even seen one when I agreed to buy it. I thought the r1 or bmw looked better (Zx10r too actually) but the looks on this have really grown in me and now I love it.

My review is really a comparison to the mt10 as its the only other big bike I've owned.

Comfort: huge seat! Very comfy for a supersports. Less committed (I'm informed) than the r1. I've done 1000 miles in 1 month and no discomfort or pain anywhere. I did 500, miles in 2 days, I'm 6"2. The naked Mt gives you neck ache at high speeds due to lack of wind protection, this slices through the wind and you don't really notice yourself doing silly speeds suddenly. Speaking of which:

Performance: the Mt does exactly what you want it - power everywhere, point, squeeze and it goes there. Very planted, wheelie machine. This is lighter, 40bhp more powerful, totally different beast. Doesn't wheelie as much, just gets around a track very quickly. It doesn't feel as fast due to the fairing but it really really is - 180 comes at you in no time (on a closed private road of course). It does 100mph in 1st gear, I can confirm, on that same road. Stupidly fast bike - I'll never use even 70% of the power.

Screenshot_20200624-220752_Video Player.jpg

Handling etc: riding a superbike is very different from a supernaked so I can't compare that well but it does exactly what you want it to and more. The forks are supposed to be amazing but I'm not sure I'm qualified to review them properly. Ill get em setup for my weight in a while. The brakes are... okay. My mate's Street triples brakes are simply better. Might do a pad change one day soon.

The rest: even with the stock can which is slightly smaller than cooling tower number 5 in Chernobyl the bike sounds great. But the can had to go for looks alone. I freaking love this arrow jobbie - it's a thing of beauty. Sounds immense - roars like a lion.

20200625_084825.jpg

The lairy paint job was not to my taste initially - better than the red and black or white and blue. But now I love it.

Other planned mods? Maybe just a rear hugger. And maybe carbon wheels but they aren't cheap. I think that's about it.

I love this bike.

You scratched that tyre pretty much for firs 1000 miles, look like track ride :thumb: