675 Street triple running funny

geofferz

Another golden rule with triumph 3 cyls always have a good battery in use as a low voltage may spin the bike but can ruin the sprag clutch and they be a pain and genuine triumph are expensive .

Cost me £400 on my last Speedtriple 😡

Another golden rule with triumph 3 cyls always have a good battery in use as a low voltage may spin the bike but can ruin the sprag clutch and they be a pain and genuine triumph are expensive .

For what it's worth the same applies to gen1 Hayabusa!

Faìling battery can cause carnage.

Cheers

Ian

For what it's worth the same applies to gen1 Hayabusa!

Faìling battery can cause carnage.

Cheers

Ian

And the RSV mille too

I had a loose plug once and it sounded very similar to an exhaust issue. Then it blew out completely and that was interesting.

Some engines can use oil if exhaust back pressure is reduced. I know the humble VanVan will drink oil on some none standard exhaust systems.

Be interested to hear what the outcome of this is.

I'm trying to get him to diagnose it himself but he's busy. It's booked in for Wednesday so we'll know the outcome then.

Guest Richzx6r

I had a loose plug once and it sounded very similar to an exhaust issue. Then it blew out completely and that was interesting.

Some engines can use oil if exhaust back pressure is reduced. I know the humble VanVan will drink oil on some none standard exhaust systems.

Be interested to hear what the outcome of this is.

I'm trying to get him to diagnose it himself but he's busy. It's booked in for Wednesday so we'll know the outcome then.

Fair enough well hopefully it's not worst case scenario.

Keep us updated :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out his cams were smashed. 14k miles only! One was literally cracked down the middle. £600 fix. Triumph hq weren't interested - put me right off the brand.

Guest Richzx6r

Turns out his cams were smashed. 14k miles only! One was literally cracked down the middle. £600 fix. Triumph hq weren't interested - put me right off the brand.

Ooops, how old is it and is it still in warranty?

Ooops, how old is it and is it still in warranty?

Nah like 14 plate way out. Still low miles so a bit crap of triumph.

That would explain the running like a bag of proverbial and then not running at all.

I would be doing a few extra oil changes in the first week.

Really? They put mineral oil in initially I think for some reason.

Did they take the head off and check the valves and pistons? Tell him to keep the broken cams and any other parts they replaced.

I told him to keep em but he just wanted to take his bike and go.

Did they take the head off and check the valves and pistons? Tell him to keep the broken cams and any other parts they replaced.

That's too bad. Going off the prices in the link, not sure if it's the exact bike. If they charged him £600 seems like they must have just put new camshafts in and not gone any further into the engine https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596255/street-triple-r-from-vin-560477/camshaft-camshaft-drive?noredir=1

That's too bad. Going off the prices in the link, not sure if it's the exact bike. If they charged him £600 seems like they must have just put new camshafts in and not gone any further into the engine https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596255/street-triple-r-from-vin-560477/camshaft-camshaft-drive?noredir=1

Probs at least 2 or 3 hours work too. Not a million miles out.

Depending on how long ago it was 12k serviced they may have recourse with the garage who conducted this ( if applicable) as of memory serves it would be due a valve clearance check @ 12k and if any work carried out may be within a labour warranty period.

Potentially incorrect refit/ retorque of camshaft could cause issues

Depending on how long ago it was 12k serviced they may have recourse with the garage who conducted this ( if applicable) as of memory serves it would be due a valve clearance check @ 12k and if any work carried out may be within a labour warranty period.

Potentially incorrect refit/ retorque of camshaft could cause issues

Good shout - passed on - thanks.