New to motorbikes...

David8614

Hi all,

I'm not currently a motorbike owner or rider and have never ridden one. I'm an experienced car driver and a very keen road cyclist. Since riding bicycles I've always felt the urge to get an engine between my legs, a few of the guys I ride with are also motorbikers and are older than me so it won't be long before they only go out on motorbikes. I always said before I'm 40 but I'm 34 and getting the urge now!

I've made some tentative enquiries in to tuition and I think I'd go all in for a intensive A licence course. Looks like I'm talking £800 - £900 for this. I'm on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border - does anyone have any recommendations round my way?

Then obviously need a full set of decent gear and a bike. Wouldn't want to pay much more than £4k all in including the course and I think I'd be looking 600cc max but open to advice on this.

Does anyone have any advice regarding my first foray in to the world motorbikes?

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, it could fit in a few to be fair.

Welcome!

Helmet - £200-400, jacket £200, boots £100, trousers £150, gloves £50 - a grand for all that tops, £500 if you scrimp a bit, then 2-2.5k for a bike including insurance. Firstly run some insurance quotes against some options as something sports might be like a grand a year which wouldn't leave you much for a bike.

Either way it depends what you want - you'll get an idea of power after your DAS. Used Japanese is a good start - Honda, yamaha... Some are happy with 60bhp, some need 160.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

[mention]geofferz[/mention] has offered some good tips there, especially about insurance, no point having your heart set on a particular bike only to find insurance is ridiculous for it :roll:

Guest Swagman

Hi and welcome, direct access course would be great, have a look on sports bike shop through the link on here for clothing they have some great priced gear on there, as for bikes most Jap 600S would suit I have two fz6 yams and they are great bikes. :thumb:

geofferz is about right.

Insurance could be anything depending where you live and how old you are. Run some quotes, with the assumption you've got your licence.

Bike £1500-2500

Helmet £100 - £200

Other kit £300 - £500

DAS around £1000

Can you do it any cheaper? Perhaps, yes...

All you can do to reduce the insurance is move house or go for bike from a lower insurance group (MCN has the insurance group of each bike on their review pages - take at look here https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cbr600f/2000 for example). It could end up being the biggest cash item on the list, which is why it's good to check out the cost with various bikes before you do much else.

You can pick up older 500s or 600s with not much wrong with them for under a grand if you're prepared to travel to pick it up.

You can easily pick up good secondhand kit on ebay at good prices. But with the helmet buy new, and go to store where they can give you advice on fit.

Thanks for all the prompt and sound advice. I must say it's refreshing to come on to a forum and not be instantly put down on your ideas!

Luckily my brother in law runs a used bike business so I'm sure he'll find me a nice bike at a good price. Initial research points me towards a Honda CBR600F but I know I'm probably jumping ahead of myself a little and need to concentrate on passing my licence first.

Just about to move house to what I believe is a nicer area with a garage so hopefully that will help with insurance although insurance is a post code lottery so who knows.

Very excited though!

Having a garage is good. Can't add much to what has been said other than a lot of people don't find their ideal bike first time round. When you're new to bikes you can't know what will be right for you so my advice would be not to over think your first bike. Go for something you like but preferably Japanese and older.

That way you won't be heartbroken when you drop it, which we all do. You can trade it in due course and not lose anything. Plus I think older Japanese bikes from before 2010 are slightly better build quality than newer stuff.

Hey there [mention]David8614[/mention], similar position to you both in age and riding background on bikes.

First year is expensive (when I totted mine up it came as a bit of a shock!) but when it comes to kit I suggest trying everything on with an open mind then consider cost. You can easily buy twice if you scrimp first time round. However the the Richa textiles I got a few years ago for the best part of £500 still serve me well and I think they will for years to come.

When you first get on a bike, even a 125, the additional weight (especially being high up) may throw you if you're used to road bikes. It did for me. I also had to learn to keep power on in bends, compared to road bikes where you mostly disengage drive (by not pedalling) when you corner.

Based on where you are, have a look at https://roadcraftnottingham.co.uk/. Even if you don't train with him check his youtube channel out. Whoever you consider enquire now as they'll have a backlog due to the lack of testing.

The advice on insurance is sound but in my experience at your age if you get a bike that's renowned for being a 'newbie' bike you won't pay much.

Welcome.

I've spent most of my life riding in walking boots - they're sturdy, supportive and a fraction of what "motorcycle" boots run out at.

You can get some seriously decent helmets for 100-175, and they outperform some of the more expensive ones. Check out the Ride Recommended & Ride Best Buys at Sportsbikeshop.

Trousers, again I've spent almost forty years riding in jeans.

I'd say go for the budget end of the spectrum to begin with simply because you may choose not to bother continuing - and no matter what the Facebook ads might have you believe, nobody wants secondhand stuff at nearly new prices.

Never wear a dayglo jacket with "Polite" written on the back. :wink:

I always recommend, buy second hand good quality branded gear except for your kid. Do buy boots.

Buy a zzr600. They are everything you need.

There are two minor errors here. The purchase and branding of children is generally frowned upon. But the probability that this refers to not buying second hand lids is sound.

The other error is of course that the discerning biker would only ever invest in a Triumph. People will tell you otherwise. They are wrong. They are entitled to be wrong. It is after all a free world. But they are wrong nevertheless.

I always recommend, buy second hand good quality branded gear except for your kid. Do buy boots.

There are two minor errors here. The purchase and branding of children is generally frowned upon. But the probability that this refers to not buying second hand lids is sound.

The other error is of course that the discerning biker would only ever invest in a Triumph. People will tell you otherwise. They are wrong. They are entitled to be wrong. It is after all a free world. But they are wrong nevertheless.

No tint of bias there at all my amphibious friend lol.

Shame we cant brand children anymore lol.

Didn't like the little buggers even when I was one myself (that is ancient history I know before some clever fooker points it out)

Cheers

Ian

Triton cafe racers are nice too i would have one of those bit pricey though :thumb:

I'd agree but I'd substitute Ducati for Triumph. I tried selling my kids, didn't work.

My 2 pence worth.

Start with your CBT £100-120? Dont buy and gear till you have done this and know if you lie it!

By then you will know a little bit. You could by 125cc and ride that for whilst (cheap Japanese IMHO), I did think it was good thing, others will disagree

You don't need to buy the best gear, first time round (Most bikers can fill more wardrobes with bike gear than women can with dresses (its very bulky)) you don't know what you like or want.

Although make sure your gear has good/ approved armour knees, shoulders, back, hips elbows.

Helmet £120, - last years (model without great choice of graphics chances are you will drop it at some point :/ )

Trousers £50

Jacket £60

Gloves £40

Boots £80 (I struggle to find cheap),

Yes it might leak a little in heavy rain and you might sweat more in the sun but it gets you started and you learn what YOU LIKE.

Bike £1000 for bike with MOT and good history, don't worry what you buy if its got good history. See what you like and how you like to ride, bikers change bikes like women change handbags... (I have had 5 bikes in 6 years :o )

As for size of engine it only goes as quick as you let it, although faster bikes can get you into trouble easier and quicker.

Note faster bike, speed and CC not always related my TDM 900 is slower than my FZ6 was, a modern 600R can be much quicker than my Trophy 1200 its not all simple stuff...