Carbon wheels (on sports bikes)

geofferz

:stupid:

Just one thing to be weary of they where made for track and not the road and a big bang can crack them!

It's been known to happen a few times but it's not common!

Just bear it in mind on our roads

Yeah I had thought about that but then I watched this which alleviated my concerns

Interesting

I wonder if the ones that have been known to fail have had manufacturing defects

Worth checking with your insurance as this could be a notifiable modification.

Ooh good point thanks. I'd better tell mce about my other mods...

Would suggest you get your tongue out of your cheek prior to lunch :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Ian

You do realise that you're talking about wheels that cost +$1,500 each.

For that money I would buy a really nice whole bike :shock:

I looked at those till I seen the price! :shock: I've not heard of any downsides to having them, other than potentially an insurance increase .... I looked at these at HPShttps://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Yamaha_MT-10_2016_Onwards_BST_Carbon_Fibre_Motorcycle_Wheels.html#aBSTMT_2d10

Worth checking with your insurance as this could be a notifiable modification.

Ooh good point thanks. I'd better tell mce about my other mods...

If I remember correctly from when I was insured with them, MCE are fairly easy going about mods. I don't think my declared mods affected the premium but at the same time they were not insured on a like for like basis so in the event of theft they would pay out as if it were a standard bike. Could have got that completely wrong of course.

Go for it. :thumb:

If you can justify the expense then that is the only issue you need concern yourself with. BST are the very best you can buy and are far stronger than any alloy wheel.

I bought my wheels via HPS and can recommend them wholeheartedly. Mine were not carbon, but were rather pricey and definitely the best 'upgrade' I have ever made to any bike Ive owned.

If you can justify the expense then that is the only issue you need concern yourself with. BST are the very best you can buy and are far stronger than any alloy wheel.

I bought my wheels via HPS and can recommend them wholeheartedly. Mine were not carbon, but were rather pricey and definitely the best 'upgrade' I have ever made to any bike Ive owned.

The other side of the coin...

The other side of the coin...

That is because, I would venture that most if not all the problems people have had were either in the dim and distant past or from people who bought 'cheap'. BST are definitely not cheap. when i say they are the best you can buy. I mean exactly that.

Thanks. I'd love a scientific test. That is a 15 year old thread though...

I'm sure things improve over time, I just don't like the complete structural collapse when it goes, it's handy when it's a propshaft it doesn't tend to flip the car.

It's OK you can just get them repaired if they break

https://blog.brocksperformance.com/faq/if-my-bst-wheel-is-damaged-can-it-be-fixed/

of all the sources of information THAT IDIOT is the last person you should look to, this is the same man who reckons the way to make a bike go faster is to grind down your brake pads.

if you want answers.. ask HPS. or the manufacturer.

of all the sources of information THAT IDIOT is the last person you should look to, this is the same man who reckons the way to make a bike go faster is to grind down your brake pads.

if you want answers.. ask HPS. or the manufacturer.

Cf wheels are unlikely to be a problem I will ever have to worry about, I'm just aimlessly trawling the net

Here's a failure from 2018, taken from ducati forum

Caused by overheating brake

_20200629_173449.thumb.JPG.6a508222162173c6d49c2128fc2c41c0.JPG

_20200629_173426.thumb.JPG.ba6c7ce547768d145015f473251873ff.JPG