rebuilds

Lockie

I am wondering if someone could give me a guess as to the cost of rebuilding a bike. I realize that may be tough. Just trying to make sure I don't trap myself into something that I can't afford.

It's a '94 Yamaha 750 Virago. I think the engine was pretty good when stored but it was just stuck in a barn, and pulled the key out. Needs pretty much everything done. I have only the regular household tools wrenches screwdrivers etc. No specialty tools.

In Ontario Canada. Guesses? Thanks.

Guest Richzx6r

I am wondering if someone could give me a guess as to the cost of rebuilding a bike. I realize that may be tough. Just trying to make sure I don't trap myself into something that I can't afford.

It's a '94 Yamaha 750 Virago. I think the engine was pretty good when stored but it was just stuck in a barn, and pulled the key out. Needs pretty much everything done. I have only the regular household tools wrenches screwdrivers etc. No specialty tools.

It really depends on what the bike is needing to recomission it to road worthiness and what kind of finished outcome you are looking for I.e it will need a full service at minimum though depending on how long it's been layed up for it could need a strip down and rebuild, was it left with a full tank of fuel and has it gummed up all the fuel lines, petcock and carbs? Will need new chain and sprockets (unless it's a belt drive, then a replacement belt), paint wise is the paint finish good or is it faded and is there rust marks under the paint, what's the frame like? Tyres? Bulbs? The expenditure is pretty limitless really as the further you get in to a strip down and rebuild the more you will see and want to improve upon which might have been something that you weren't expecting.

I'd think long and hard about it if I were you

How much will it cost you to acquire the bike? .. If its free or only a few $ then you have nothing to lose! If it turns out that it needs too much doing to it you can just strip it for parts.

Thanks everyone who replied. It would need fork seals, all that was mentioned about fuel/ oil lines re- chroming, seat rebuild, etc. It is my son's bike and he rode it a lot. I thought it would be a nice gift. Sounds like I'd be better off to buy.

it was just stuck in a barn, and pulled the key out. Needs pretty much everything done.

It would need fork seals, all that was mentioned about fuel/ oil lines re- chroming, seat rebuild, etc.

One is not like the other.. :scratch: