Are these forks too soft?

jedibiker

As part of a week of trying to diagnose if the bike is set up right for me and if suspension is affecting handling I was looking at changing the fork oil

Ive always thought these were soft and bandit suspension isnt great anyway, but I can move this with a finger.

Is this normal or are they softer than normal. The pre load is on full.!

cheers

https://imgur.com/VUuwfv1

I would say a like-for-like replacement.

Could be that is the oil just gone past its life span.

That bike suspension is pretty good from origin.

I would say a like-for-like replacement.

Could be that is the oil just gone past its life span.

That bike suspension is pretty good from origin.

I think the oil will be ancient. Until i got it noone rode it much at all. Its also a cheaper fix than springs.

New springs, linear or progressive what ever you prefer and higher density oil :thumb:

:stupid:

new springs for your weight and new oil at the same time

If the forks are too soft ie you sit on it and get a lot of travel then the springs are too weak

If they bounce around like a pogo stick then the damping is all wrong and down to oil as I believe yours are none adjustable?

New springs, linear or progressive what ever you prefer and higher density oil :thumb:

If the forks are too soft ie you sit on it and get a lot of travel then the springs are too weak

If they bounce around like a pogo stick then the damping is all wrong and down to oil as I believe yours are none adjustable?

the damping isnt adjustable just preload. I tested rider sag on the front and it was at the max

What's it like when you're actually riding it? And how much does it sag when you sit on it? How often do the forks bottom out?

Ive not felt it bottom out yet, and have braked hard. But it could be and just be gentle about it if that makes sense

the damping isnt adjustable just preload. I tested rider sag on the front and it was at the max

Your preload was at max?

Your preload was at max?

yes its wound all the way in.

I think Il do the oil first. il put 10w back in it as Il bet the old oil is just crap. Could put 15 in but it might then be too stiff.

meant to be at a garage today but tyre isnt in stock yet. Feeling bit pissed off as I now think most of the issue is the suspension and not the tyre as much. Should have waited and listed to Stu.. at least Il have a new tyre anyway.. lol

Your preload was at max?

yes its wound all the way in.

And how much sag do you get when you sit on the bike?

And how much sag do you get when you sit on the bike?

Il have to meaure again but it was right at top end it should be, i think it was even 5mm over. static sag is alot too

forget static sag for now

But if the rider sag is 5mm more than the range and you're on max pre load then you will benefit from heavier springs

I put some hyperpro springs in mine and it transformed the bike they come with new oil too

If you're going to change the oil then I would do the springs while in there

forget static sag for now

But if the rider sag is 5mm more than the range and you're on max pre load then you will benefit from heavier springs

I put some hyperpro springs in mine and it transformed the bike they come with new oil too

If you're going to change the oil then I would do the springs while in there

Ive seen the package. just been for new tyre and just to change oil and seels £140. for that I can do springs too just got to brave it.

I think il need to measure again. I also did it when bike was cold, if that matters.

I hope you use the affiliate link on the forum :D

if not click this and find the ones you need :lol:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/#/27907,3203,0

The forum gets commission :thumb:

a fork spring and oil change is very easy the hardest part is making sure you crack the top nut before you remove the forks otherwise you have to put them in again :lol: