Are these forks too soft?

jedibiker

I hope you use the affiliate link on the forum :D

if not click this and find the ones you need :lol:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/#/27907,3203,0

The forum gets commission :thumb:

a fork spring and oil change is very easy the hardest part is making sure you crack the top nut before you remove the forks otherwise you have to put them in again :lol:

nice one, il make sure I do use that link when I buy. just watched a video showing the full seal change etc.. not too bad.. lol

Ive seen the package. just been for new tyre and just to change oil and seels £140. for that I can do springs too just got to brave it.

I think il need to measure again. I also did it when bike was cold, if that matters.

your pre load should be around middle and have the correct amount of sag

hot or cold doesn't matter :)

As part of a week of trying to diagnose if the bike is set up right for me and if suspension is affecting handling I was looking at changing the fork oil

Ive always thought these were soft and bandit suspension isnt great anyway, but I can move this with a finger.

Is this normal or are they softer than normal. The pre load is on full.!

cheers

https://imgur.com/VUuwfv1

Can you just post the picture , I got fed up of turning all the cookies off .

As part of a week of trying to diagnose if the bike is set up right for me and if suspension is affecting handling I was looking at changing the fork oil

Ive always thought these were soft and bandit suspension isnt great anyway, but I can move this with a finger.

cheers

its a video

Guest Richzx6r

cheers

its a video

That is definitely way too soft

What is the best way to keep the front up when I take the wheel off? il be using just center stand. I can pop a jack under to tilt the bike back if that would work. I know on center stand the bike still sits on the front wheel a little

Put it on the centre stand then if you want front wheel off the floor to drop the wheel out put a jack or similar under the exhausts engine area but spread the weight with a lump of wood. Make sure you are on good stable ground and you dont want anyone leaning on the bike or kids playing in the area while the front is stripped. Take plenty of pictures while you strip it for reference when you put it back together.

Put it on the centre stand then if you want front wheel off the floor to drop the wheel out put a jack or similar under the exhausts engine area but spread the weight with a lump of wood. Make sure you are on good stable ground and you dont want anyone leaning on the bike or kids playing in the area while the front is stripped. Take plenty of pictures while you strip it for reference when you put it back together.

And loosen everything needed ( undo and just retighten lightly) before jacking up . Saves the bike skewing on centre stand if things are tight .

I'm still not sure if there's actually anything wrong here, the forks on my Kawasaki also sag a lot and at a standstill I can almost slosh the front up and down between both stops but when riding the front is almost solid with hydraulic lock, this is simply because it's crap. Is the front bobbling about all over the place? Does it wallow round corners like a boat?

A quick search reveals this from review by visordown:

Come the corners the familiar Bandit bounce is kept in the new model. While the spring preload can be adjusted in the forks it isn't really going to make much of a difference as the whole bike is softly sprung. Tip it into a bend and it rocks gently on its suspension from front to back. Even for less experienced riders it lacks a certain amount of confidence, especially if there is a bump or any unevenness on the road. Chuck in a few extra worries mid-corner and it's not too hard to tie it up in knots. But once again, is the targeted Bandit rider really going to ride at this pace? At gentle cornering speeds it isn't that bad, and the benefit of soft suspension is a smooth ride over bumps.

I wonder if you stiffen the front up you'll just find the rear is a problem instead, while you feel like you're constantly riding uphill.. If it is too soft while riding you can stiffen it by adding more oil/reducing the amount of easily compressible air inside, but it is always a compromise of harshness vs comfort with damper rod forks (which are what you have, as far as I can tell).

Guest Richzx6r

I have just gone out to mine and it doesn't move up and down by just a finger on the bar end, and mine isn't particularly hard suspension so I would say they are way too soft

Saggy doesn't necessarily mean soft, I have a couple of bikes that sag a lot when sat on but the suspension is teeth-rattling hard when riding. The video to me looks like it just might be the way the bike sits on the sidestand, it clearly takes a lot of weight off the front.

I'm gonna say it. I am. Cop this..

Looks alright to me :popcorn:

was thinking that thankyou. I will be working in peace thankfully. Taking pics a great idea. cheers

I'm still not sure if there's actually anything wrong here, the forks on my Kawasaki also sag a lot and at a standstill I can almost slosh the front up and down between both stops but when riding the front is almost solid with hydraulic lock, this is simply because it's crap. Is the front bobbling about all over the place? Does it wallow round corners like a boat?

A quick search reveals this from review by visordown:

Come the corners the familiar Bandit bounce is kept in the new model. While the spring preload can be adjusted in the forks it isn't really going to make much of a difference as the whole bike is softly sprung. Tip it into a bend and it rocks gently on its suspension from front to back. Even for less experienced riders it lacks a certain amount of confidence, especially if there is a bump or any unevenness on the road. Chuck in a few extra worries mid-corner and it's not too hard to tie it up in knots. But once again, is the targeted Bandit rider really going to ride at this pace? At gentle cornering speeds it isn't that bad, and the benefit of soft suspension is a smooth ride over bumps.

I wonder if you stiffen the front up you'll just find the rear is a problem instead, while you feel like you're constantly riding uphill.. If it is too soft while riding you can stiffen it by adding more oil/reducing the amount of easily compressible air inside, but it is always a compromise of harshness vs comfort with damper rod forks (which are what you have, as far as I can tell).

I know what you mean, its not bad when riding and takes bumps ok. But, on the throttle the front lifts more than it should i think when off the front drops down and I fear this could load the tyre in a corner etc. Im actually just doing oil and seals first due to budget. In any case its just maintenance. The rear goes really stiff if needed so not overly worried there yet. thanks

Another thing to consider is has this bike been lowered previously but not professionally done .

Was the previous owner short ?

If so they may have cut the spacers ?

i doubt its lowered, its higher than alot of bikes. My inside leg is 32 and i cant put both feet flat when on the bike

Another thing to consider is has this bike been lowered previously but not professionally done .

Was the previous owner short ?

If so they may have cut the spacers ?

i doubt its lowered, its higher than alot of bikes. My inside leg is 32 and i cant put both feet flat when on the bike

seems odd. My inside leg is 32 and when I had my bandit I could flat foot it easily.

Try stiffing the back up a bit and seeing if it helps. If the rear is soft, you get a lot of weight transfer. As the back compresses, the front lifts.

@jedibiker fork specs.

Do you know if there are any torque settings for reassembly? cheers

Give up. No matter what I do the pictures are the wrong way. I blame 🍎

368327F7-1F72-45A6-9378-4DD25555404F.thumb.jpeg.0e6650baea43c7a1fa23f16cb9c3c9b8.jpeg

D852FCE0-E556-45CB-86A7-2656778BB919.thumb.jpeg.bc341301406697c13d3277844ac3a5cb.jpeg

D2A0E94A-CBC7-4C80-B8D2-EF08DDCED13A.thumb.jpeg.6172ca702abb6594c044b0e1372545c8.jpeg

839D431D-C8CE-4A3D-BC4D-8C73BAED158A.thumb.jpeg.156024982537c999639408493548c359.jpeg

@jedibiker fork specs.

Shudder! Apply are crap :popcorn:

Shudder! Apply are crap :popcorn:

I tend to agree